Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wheel
why all the mods to this new car ,all i read is mods that nedd to be done to make this car better and the extra parts involved to do so .i was really wanting this car but i am not willing to buy a 250 dollar car and put another 100 + dollars into it to make it the car it should have been from the get go .is all this stuff true or is this car good out of the box and i am just really reading into this to hard:confu sed:

There will also always be guys that will buy every hop up they can get there hands on, doesn't matter if it works or not they want the bling factor.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the raised tranny mod in mid engine?(with a HRC block?)
Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Default losi 22

guys thanks for the reality check ,i have been racing for many years ,but i have been in nitro for the last 5 and this new car looks awesome and i want one but i dont want to break the bank , so what do you guys recommend for a initial buy just to get started , just buy the car and go from their or what ,i guess i just need the must have for this car i heard the diff is crap so what does it need just ceramic balls .
Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

guys thanks for the reality check ,i have been racing for many years ,but i have been in nitro for the last 5 and this new car looks awesome and i want one but i dont want to break the bank , so what do you guys recommend for a initial buy just to get started , just buy the car and go from their or what ,i guess i just need the must have for this car i heard the diff is crap so what does it need just ceramic balls .
The stock diff and thrust balls seem to wear pretty quickly. I would recommend at least switching to the tungsten carbide balls from Losi. Also for $30 I am about to put in the B-Fast pro drivers kit with ceramic thrust balls. It isn't much more then switching to the better Losi stuff plus you get the better rings as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RShockley
The stock diff and thrust balls seem to wear pretty quickly. I would recommend at least switching to the tungsten carbide balls from Losi. Also for $30 I am about to put in the B-Fast pro drivers kit with ceramic thrust balls. It isn't much more then switching to the better Losi stuff plus you get the better rings as well.
where do you get the bfast kit,so this is really all that needs to be done when building the kit to start cheap,i know the electronics are cheap but what do you guys think about the rtr version to start with and just putting a real heavy diff fluid in the gear diff
Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

You can get the B-Fast diff at www.bfastrc.com. If you plan on racing I would go ahead and get the kit. You will be happier in the long run going that direction. The RTR is not that bad although there is no real adjustment within the electronics. With the kit you can pick the electronics you want which will add more adjustability to your car. Also the stock servo is very slow in the RTR. I started out with the RTR as well. I was happy at first but wanted to be able to do more with the car. I eventually broke down and bought the kit. I was able to put in good electronics and love it 10 times more then the RTR. It will save you money in the long run to just get the kit.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

just build it box stock and upgrade as needed, the diff balls are fine until you get a bunch of run time on it and tear the car down for a complete checkover. I have over two hours of run time on mine and the diff is still smooth, just build it right and break it in and readjust as needed. The first 2 runs were 30 minutes each without stopping, this week I started practicing in 5 minute segments and tuning the car up and it runs great. The front wheel nut has come loose twice, a dab of locktite is in order. Really, one of the easiest builds and best cars Iv'e ever had out of the box. Save your money for tires. Lots and Lots of tires
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Default losi 22

thank you so much for your input
Old 01-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

A few posts back a guy was questioning the need to spend extra money to fine tune the car, people responded that it is good out of the box, BUT you should do this, get that, spend $30 on diff balls, etc... Sounds like he is back to spending money to tune the car. This is all perfectly understandable. The car is fairly new and will mature over time.

In past posts project managers have stated that the box/stock set up was a compromise of parts to provide an all around experience for most drivers. To me the RTR would be better suited to most average drivers. The compromise set up should be left to the RTR. To a racer, state of the art is what is desired. From what I have read most of the team drivers are making many of the same changes to make the car perform better. These changes should be made part of the kit. Some examples would be bleeder shock caps, o-rings instead of bladders, 5 degree front hubs with 25 degree kick, etc.

Why not update the kit like a computer or phone update. 22.1, 22.2 etc. By the time we get to "Losi 99.1" it should be pretty dialed!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
A few posts back a guy was questioning the need to spend extra money to fine tune the car, people responded that it is good out of the box, BUT you should do this, get that, spend $30 on diff balls, etc... Sounds like he is back to spending money to tune the car. This is all perfectly understandable. The car is fairly new and will mature over time.

In past posts project managers have stated that the box/stock set up was a compromise of parts to provide an all around experience for most drivers. To me the RTR would be better suited to most average drivers. The compromise set up should be left to the RTR. To a racer, state of the art is what is desired. From what I have read most of the team drivers are making many of the same changes to make the car perform better. These changes should be made part of the kit. Some examples would be bleeder shock caps, o-rings instead of bladders, 5 degree front hubs with 25 degree kick, etc.

Why not update the kit like a computer or phone update. 22.1, 22.2 etc. By the time we get to "Losi 99.1" it should be pretty dialed!
+1 I agree 100%
Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

These changes should be made part of the kit. Some examples would be bleeder shock caps, o-rings instead of bladders, 5 degree front hubs with 25 degree kick, etc.

+1. The kit should have the race setup (correct rear blocks, springs and the changes you mentioned) out of the box. When the "standard" setup changes, the kit setup should change too. Associated has done this with the B4 and until the 22 came out, the result was obvious by looking at the majority at the track.

I still run a XXX and am happy with it. It's nothing like any kit that ever came out of a Losi box yet it's considered a "standard" setup. Shouldn't be that way.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default losi 22

that is exactly were i was going with my questions do you have a 22 buggy and i agree to the statements
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

that is exactly were i was going with my questions do you have a 22 buggy and i agree to the statements
I have the 22, and have made all of the changes that are popular. I really like the car, but it has some weak areas and is very responsive to any changes you make.

An analogy would be the 22 is like a sports car. Any little thing you do will change the personality of the car. It's a finely tuned machine. If you crash things will go out of whack and the car will not perform the same. But yet it is very durable. It takes a lot of patience and requires an investment in time and money to get it to perform at it's best. (Just like anything)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

I have the 22, and have made all of the changes that are popular. I really like the car, but it has some weak areas and is very responsive to any changes you make.

An analogy would be the 22 is like a sports car. Any little thing you do will change the personality of the car. It's a finely tuned machine. If you crash things will go out of whack and the car will not perform the same. But yet it is very durable. It takes a lot of patience and requires an investment in time and money to get it to perform at it's best. (Just like anything)
+1 great description
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
just build it box stock and upgrade as needed, the diff balls are fine until you get a bunch of run time on it and tear the car down for a complete checkover. I have over two hours of run time on mine and the diff is still smooth, just build it right and break it in and readjust as needed. The first 2 runs were 30 minutes each without stopping, this week I started practicing in 5 minute segments and tuning the car up and it runs great. The front wheel nut has come loose twice, a dab of locktite is in order. Really, one of the easiest builds and best cars Iv'e ever had out of the box. Save your money for tires. Lots and Lots of tires
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.