Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milk50
I am new to the electric world. I am looking at the 22.

Would this ESC/motor combo be suitable for the 22?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-sc-a.html

If so, any advice on gearing? The 22 manual says 76spur 24pinion for a 10.5 turn motor. Would that be the starting point?

If not, any suggestions on a similar combo around that price point?
I would go with the hobbywing X9 combo. thats what I run, very smooth and strong. 76/24 works great.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peff
Hi guys, I have been changing my mind between this buggy, dex210 and now 22T. I still love the look of this 22 buggy though. I have tried reading through all the pages in this forum, but it takes some time filtering through. What are the problems to look out for on this rig, things like slop and what are the fixes? I think I've decide the 22 buggy it is, but want to get into it, knowing the challenges. Are there any must have add ons or are they merely bling factor?

Thanks
Peff, Out of the box, the biggest issue is the diff nut assuming you get one of the old one that is a holder with a small nut you insert into it. If you got one of the new ones where the nut is integrated, then you are set. If you got an old one, you can contact customer service and explain to them your diff nut is bad and you need/want one of the upgraded ones, or you can just pick it up when you pick up the kit (TLR2946). That is the one "issue" with the box stock car.

As far as upgrades I would recommend, the biggest ones for me are the carbide diff balls and thrust balls. After that, its really up to you. I would run it and replace stuff as you want.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hi guys, I have been changing my mind between this buggy, dex210 and now 22T. I still love the look of this 22 buggy though. I have tried reading through all the pages in this forum, but it takes some time filtering through. What are the problems to look out for on this rig, things like slop and what are the fixes? I think I've decide the 22 buggy it is, but want to get into it, knowing the challenges. Are there any must have add ons or are they merely bling factor?

Thanks
Check on this page on the TLR web site.

http://losiracing.blogspot.com/

Car is stout. Suspension really does not develop slop much.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
I have the same thoughts on this, NEVER allowed to slip.
One slip and it's hurtin.
Flick test is fast, easy and accurate.
I also have to agree that my diff screw is pretty much bottomed out when the diff is fully broken in and it has been like that for many, many race/practice days.
My diff is still super smooth but you can tell it is now dry. Never got gritty or notchy. Never slipped it, ever.

The guys that have problems with this diff are not dumb, they just need to realize that this diff needs to be much tighter than all previous ball diffs.
It may be the added number of balls and the location of the balls further out on the rings or the spring tension as mentioned not strong enough to apply enough pressure to compensate for the wider pattern.Whatever the difference is, this diff can slip easily if not set up to run tight from the very start.
That warning has been common knowledge around the tracks and forums for quite a while but is not common knowledge for the new TLR enthusiast that may not be at a team guy's track or may not be reading forums. It can frustrate them whether they have ball diff experience or not.

May be worthwhile for TLR to put a "Special Attention" note in this area of the build instructions for future kit builders.
My apologise, what the 'flick' test is please? Please could you explaining me better?

I've got another doubt. Slipper settings. How can set-up the slipper properly please?

Hold both rear tires firmly in place and apply short burst of throttle. If the clutch is properly set, the front tires should slightly lift off the surface. Correct?

I always used this method in my past cars, but with the 22 I've got some issue to set as described above. It could be my fault.

Suggestion please?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=TWRC;10052040]One of the setups here should fit your needs

Cool thanks, guess i will start with corey bernardo's low bite setup, seems to be the closest to what we run on.
another question has any one tried a boosted 13.5 setup for outdoor, i was thinking about trying this, mabe it would give a nice combo power and smoothness, just a thought no idea where to gear it though. any feedback appreaciated as always.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Here is a good 13.5 setup Kevin ran for a long time.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC..._13.5_v212.pdf
Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Casper
Here is a good 13.5 setup Kevin ran for a long time.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC..._13.5_v212.pdf
Perfect thanks a TON , thats exactly what i needed.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys,

I am searching for the best front to rear weight ratio for the Losi 22 buggy when running it in rear motor configuration. I run mostly on very loose clay/dirt or very high bite astroturf.

I can on the setup sheets where people are putting there wheights but al electronics are different so i would like to see % if possible.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks
I've run this buggy for months and have not broken or wore out a single part. In terms of performance, part, material and build quality, this is the best kit I've owned. Engineering is superb - by this I mean not just design, but living and maintaining the car is a real joy. You won't mind working on the car at all when needed.

Hop ups? Maybe some desired tunables like toe blocks? Heck, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RTR.

It's embarrassing to say, but I'm digging the plastic bleeder shock caps...you can rebuild a perfect shock in three seconds. Awesome!

You won't be disappointed.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Is there a spreadsheet that compares the kit plastic component weights with the optional TLR aluminum parts?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
I've run this buggy for months and have not broken or wore out a single part. In terms of performance, part, material and build quality, this is the best kit I've owned. Engineering is superb - by this I mean not just design, but living and maintaining the car is a real joy. You won't mind working on the car at all when needed.

couldn't agree more.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

[QUOTE=rcracer1990;10057922]
Originally Posted by TWRC
One of the setups here should fit your needs

Cool thanks, guess i will start with corey bernardo's low bite setup, seems to be the closest to what we run on.
another question has any one tried a boosted 13.5 setup for outdoor, i was thinking about trying this, mabe it would give a nice combo power and smoothness, just a thought no idea where to gear it though. any feedback appreaciated as always.
Unboosted motors are always smoother than boosted. If you're looking to keep the power as linear as possible, leave timing advance/boost/turbo/etc. out of the equation.

Originally Posted by celt

Hop ups? Maybe some desired tunables like toe blocks? Heck, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RTR.

It's embarrassing to say, but I'm digging the plastic bleeder shock caps...you can rebuild a perfect shock in three seconds. Awesome!

x2

Only thing I've had a problem with are the rear hub inner bearings.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=t0p_sh0tta;10059735]
Originally Posted by rcracer1990
Only thing I've had a problem with are the rear hub inner bearings.

Aint that the dam truth"
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

them Big Bore shocks are awesome on all the Losi cars

Dont worry, I will put them back on my 22...eventually.

I love running my 22, the smoothest, easiest to drive 2wd buggy I have had. I wouldnt hesitate to purchase it all over again given the chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.