Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You are correct sir. But i would bet money on it that every ball diff that is being removed is worn out and not working very well for them so the gear diff is sorta a stepping stone for guys new to 2wd buggy.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
You are correct sir. But i would bet money on it that every ball diff that is being removed is worn out and not working very well for them so the gear diff is sorta a stepping stone for guys new to 2wd buggy.
That's the way I see it.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
why is it that everyone is jumping on this gear diff...there is no way it will work as well on a dirt track as a ball...i am tryng to understand this backward thinking...

its not faster, and out of an rtr....with the sct they are putting ball difs in and removing the gear...you guys are going the other way....
On a dirt track, that would be the case. But it is now winter, and carpet season (here at least) and a few guys at my track that got the gear diff in their 22s for the past weekend are really liking it already. I however, havent tried it yet
Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
why is it that everyone is jumping on this gear diff...there is no way it will work as well on a dirt track as a ball...i am tryng to understand this backward thinking...

its not faster, and out of an rtr....with the sct they are putting ball difs in and removing the gear...you guys are going the other way....
Come out to sacramento and see for yourself. Back to back testing doesn't lie. It's working for us on clay with good results. Until we go back outdoors we wont know how it works on dirt.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Yeh, new guys or lazy guys you forgot to mention. I'm cool with a gear dif at 90% if I'm never messing with it.

Last edited by markhat250; 12-05-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rider313
That's the way I see it.
Everyone that has switched out here has top notch diffs that aren't worn out. Just wanted to try something new. When gear diffs first came out for sedan people said the same thing now look at sedan....kits come with a gear diff. If Evans were to run one and win with it would folks have the same comments??? Just something different and laptimes are the same so why not???
Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

New paint. I'm curious to see if I can tell a difference in how it handles with the Bulldog.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Everyone that has switched out here has top notch diffs that aren't worn out. Just wanted to try something new. When gear diffs first came out for sedan people said the same thing now look at sedan....kits come with a gear diff. If Evans were to run one and win with it would folks have the same comments??? Just something different and laptimes are the same so why not???
That's great it works for you. I have done enough testing between gear and ball in sct I always prefered the ball diff. So I have no desire to test it in the Double Duce.

As for the if Evens ran it we would all run it. That's a negative. I don't have a Pro's setup on any of my vehicles. Why? They don't drive on the tracks I do. I have tried there stuff, it was descent but more to be had.

If the gear diff is working for you on your track then Hot ticket. Maybe I will try it if I ever race on your track.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A buddy of mine got the rtr 22 and his sock setup was working better than mine.
I think the problem with the ball diff is the spring, it feels like your tight before the spring even gives. I went thru 2 sets of balls before I figured it out. I was on the verge of going gear diff myself. But working good now! Used a 12ball gear this time.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mitten
New paint. I'm curious to see if I can tell a difference in how it handles with the Bulldog.
I just ordered one. Yours looks cool I think.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rider313
That's great it works for you. I have done enough testing between gear and ball in sct I always prefered the ball diff. So I have no desire to test it in the Double Duce.

As for the if Evens ran it we would all run it. That's a negative. I don't have a Pro's setup on any of my vehicles. Why? They don't drive on the tracks I do. I have tried there stuff, it was descent but more to be had.

If the gear diff is working for you on your track then Hot ticket. Maybe I will try it if I ever race on your track.
I 100% respect everything you said. You tried it didnt like it for your track, put your diff back in and are much happier. It just amazes me when someone posts what works for them and shares their findings for others to possibly try and are bashed. Gotta love the internet though
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If you are going to compare how a gear diff works in an sct versus a buggy then you are comparing apples to oranges. Gear diff works great on dirt in a buggy, not just carpet and high bite clay. You just have to have an open mind and be willing to try. I ran a gear diff in my b4 and 22 and it worked well. Never could get it to work as well in my blitz or kyosho scr. Too much weight transfer in an sct and would unload the inside tire in corners. Buggy stays much flatter. I have done a lot of back to back testing and on most tracks you can make a gear diff work just as well with much less maintenance.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I love the gear diff tango...as mentioned above, electric touring car went through this same debate not too long ago. "Ball diff is faster" "Gear diff won't hold up to modified" "Gear diffs are for ready-to-runs" Then Marc Reinhard wins an IFMAR Modified Touring Car World Championship with a $40 Chinese gear diff in his car and stands everything on it's head. Spec-R diffs were as hard to find as the hair on a gnat's ass for months, every major manufacturer went to the drawing board to come up with their own version, and now they are standard equipment in some of the world's best touring car kits. Not saying it's gonna happen in 2wd buggy, just sayin...

-rocky b
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I do have a bit of experience with a gear diff in a b4 and i wasnt happy with it. Maybe i needed to play with the oil some but it made the car feel lazy
Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now I have my new 22 together and being this thing has the absolute
worst instructions I've ever worked with in 30 years of R/C racing"

Where is everyone setting the front ride height from?
The aluminum chassis or the plastic between the front arms??

I've worked in hobby shops for years and built hundreds if not thousands of
kits for customers and this 22 has hands down the most worthless
instructions I've ever seen. I have no idea what Losi/Horizon was thinking
(or not) when they made these ones for the 22. Anyone new to R/C is in
big trouble trying to put this thing together. No wonder so many people
are complaining about all kinds of problems with the 22 on all the forums.
The newbees have no chance of building the 22 correctly following the
book Losi/Horizon calls instuctions.

Nice kit except for the shock shafts (mine had the coating missing in
spots right out of the box) the diff balls are junk,the diff lube is junk,
the diff screw is junk, other then that this kit has the highest
quality parts and best fit I've ever seen..

Losi/Horizon would have a home run with the 22 buggy if they did a
little home work for newbee racers..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.