Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fordmike65
Mine are flipped the other way,so that the smaller diameter will be supported by the bearing's inner race. I believe yours are installed incorrectly.
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah! Building my 22 finally!!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)
Default tlr

I will have mine tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dyno Dan
22 Build Tips:

1) place 1 small drop of CA glue on Diff nut before inserting into plastic T-nut. Use a 1.5mm wrench or .050" as a "Skewer" to hold the nut while inserting into the plastic nut. Place locknut with nylon facing upward and insert 1.5mm wrench onto nylon portion. this allows you to easily place nut into plastic T-nut.

2) Do not overtighten Diff Screw!!!!!!!. Snug screw down until Spring is collapsed, back off 1/16th turn

3) Always put a small amount of Silicone diff grease between diff rings and outdrives.

4) Do not for get the RED spacer the goes on the input shaft before installing the slipper plates. Why Red? a Red spacer means that it is a transmission part not to be confused with the other spacers. I thought it would help identify spacers since there are so many that are close in size.

5) Becarful when tightening down all king pin screws. The kingpin screw has a small radius on the underside of the screw head. do not over tignten and putting a small chamfer (using a hobby knife or other tool) is recommended.

6) Turn Buckles: Use a body reamer to knoch off flashing to help thread engagement.

7) Shocks: The lower cap cap be loosened up to 1.5 turns to adjust friction in the O-rings. A neat adjustment!

8) Placing a very small amount of locktite between rear inner hingepin/hinge pin ball/aluminum pivots is a good way to keep the tolerances like new.

9) Do not forget the M3 screw hidden under the rear shock tower that goes into the rear camber block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10) Apply blue locktite to the front wheel screw for the first coulple of wheel changes. This will allow the locktite to accumulate and act like a locknut.

11) The small screw that fastens the rear toe plate pivot to the chassis is meant to keep aht rear suspension in place while removing the transmission for diff service. There is no need to remove the motor guard (rear motor config.) when removing the transmission. Remove trans mount screws and simply pull the motor guard back and remove transmission, lealing motor guard inplace.

12) Servo allignment / tie rod / End Point Adjustment is very critical. The 22 has the most steering throw of any buggy. It is not uncommon to end up with very high EPA settings!!!!

I hope you all enjoy the build! Please ask any questions and I hope this info helps!
5: Ok, I probably know the part, but not the name. What is a kingpin screw? And what is a chamfer?

8: What exactly do you mean by this? Where should the locktite be placed?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thought I would share a cool picture

The first, and the latest, together, side by side

And another

Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Lord

Another question for you guys.. anybody else notice that whatever they used to pre-cut the body, also burned the body? Is the burn only on the protective film or are you having to dremmel a tad off the body to get rid of the burn marks?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Thought I would share a cool picture

The first, and the latest, together, side by side

And another

wow ..you're a teaser
Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

A question for you guys. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the 250 pages but don't have that much patience. Will B4 wheels and tires fit on the 22? I have 12 sets of wheels and tires that I really don't want to replace. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by harydog5150
A question for you guys. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in the 250 pages but don't have that much patience. Will B4 wheels and tires fit on the 22? I have 12 sets of wheels and tires that I really don't want to replace. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Nope.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Lord

Anybody else notice the mistake on the box photograph?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Spring color right? and turnbuckle color
Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB5SP
I hear people building the diff with ceramic balls and all. My question is are the stock balls carbide tlr list them as carbide or Hard, so are the stock 22 diff balls high quality or what? just recieved my kit today, will start the build tomorrow, I like to study the kit and manual a bit before I build just so I have knowledge
Yes the stock are carbide. Pretty sure they're good quality.
Ceramic from a reputable company are typically closer to being all the exact same size as well as being closer to perfectly round. Ceramic are also lighter and wear less. If you know how to get the rings flat and smooth and do the same preps to the thrust bearing, you can build a diff that's super smooth, requires less spring pressure to reach the correct break-away torque and is much more sensitive to "tuning" with different viscosity greases/lube.

Unfortunately all that work getting a perfect diff is squashed the first time you need to be turn marshalled because you spent all your time building a diff instead of practicing...lol. Unless your name is Dustin Evans and then it might help you have a bit more rotation and corner speed so you can pass Cavaleri... D'OH!! (j/k)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know if it's a "mistake", but in the picture on the box, the RF wheel looks to be WHITE while the left side wheels are YELLOW...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The mid motor is backwards, you can see the motor wires and they are on the wrong side of the car..........

What do I win?????
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
You want to cut the bladders. I know its odd on a new car, but just do it, you will be happier for doing it.
Ryan or Fred or Dan....
Have the team guys experimented with tuning the bladder with foam inserts or anything else to decrease the displacement and/or increase the resistance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.