Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
The kit setup was designed specifically to be about 10% more stable than the Evans Reedy setup. All of you sheep just put the Reedy race setup on your cars from the get go because you here how great it is. Guess what? Unless you can turn all your laps within .5 seconds of each other, and you can run a full battery, at race pace without crashing, it doesn't matter. What good is a setup that is a couple tenths faster if you are leaving 30 seconds of crashes on the track?

For the majority of the people on this site, you are right. That said, there are some of us that have been doing this a long time, and are actually good enough at this to take advantage of the features of the higher end products.

As for the batteries, it comes down to things other than performance. If a product from hobby king lets out the magic smoke, you're pretty much out the money. If something happens to a product from someone like SMC or Tekin, at least you can get it fixed/replaced for way less than new. It also comes down to the ability to communicate with the guys that work for the companies. Does turnigy have a representative that posts on here regularly?

One last thing, how old are you?

For the price of a new battery from a lower end company vrs the price to replace I would most likely come out even in that dept. so your point in not valid.

His age doesn't matter cause the points he is making actually work out to be positive.
I have run high and low end batteries and being able to tell the difference usually takes a 7 to 8 min run. Most mains and qualifiers I run are usually 5 to 6 mins.

Whether you crash or not doesn't mean you have to buy expensive batteries.

Features? Seriously? this is a battery not an ESC or Servo. Sure there are some batteries that would not live up to the standards of "Pro" racers but even those guys could make them perform and do well running them. They get them for free so they dont have to worry about cost.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I get the promatch and smc packs because the companies are small american businesses and they support their product. SMC's owner has the thread on here and regularly supports the community. I understand that racers want to save a few bucks, but if I can afford it I prefer to support american companies. I dont care where the packs are made, because eveything comes from china, I care only about who I give my money to and how well they support the product.

Promatch's warranty: "We will replace any defective Lipo pack for 12 months from original delivery date."

SMC's Warranty: "All SMC packs come with 2 year damage or crash replacement program which allows you to get a damaged/crashed pack to be replaced at 30% off the regular sale price listed on our website plus shipping charges. A valid proof of purchase is required and it must be within the 2 year period. "
They have to pay the overseas companies so in turn you are paying them to pay the overseas companies. Make sense?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Maybe its the heat of southern Arizona, but all of the nanotechs here are pregnant. Within 3 months, they all want to have babies.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Carranza76
They have to pay the overseas companies so in turn you are paying them to pay the overseas companies. Make sense?
I am still putting money in american pockets and they are supporting the product. If the american packs were all $150, I would buy generic ones for sure. But for $10 more, I will buy american with a warranty. I am not that cheap, lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Prophet

also, the smc 50c pack only $35.......

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=121
Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The kit setup was designed specifically to be about 10% more stable than the Evans Reedy setup. All of you sheep just put the Reedy race setup on your cars from the get go because you here how great it is. Guess what? Unless you can turn all your laps within .5 seconds of each other, and you can run a full battery, at race pace without crashing, it doesn't matter. What good is a setup that is a couple tenths faster if you are leaving 30 seconds of crashes on the track?

For the majority of the people on this site, you are right. That said, there are some of us that have been doing this a long time, and are actually good enough at this to take advantage of the features of the higher end products.

As for the batteries, it comes down to things other than performance. If a product from hobby king lets out the magic smoke, you're pretty much out the money. If something happens to a product from someone like SMC or Tekin, at least you can get it fixed/replaced for way less than new. It also comes down to the ability to communicate with the guys that work for the companies. Does turnigy have a representative that posts on here regularly?

One last thing, how old are you?
I've been in the hobby for going on 18 years now. Age is irrelevant. And btw, I run Tekin ESC's and motors, and am personal friends with the Campbell family. So I'm well aware of how they stand behind their products, both on here, and elsewhere throughout the hobby. VERY stand-up group of individuals there at Tekin
Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Maybe its the heat of southern Arizona, but all of the nanotechs here are pregnant. Within 3 months, they all want to have babies.
I have seen Reedy's puff up after three runs and that has happened a lot to those batteries from what I have seen.

I am still putting money in american pockets and they are supporting the product. If the american packs were all $150, I would buy generic ones for sure. But for $10 more, I will buy american with a warranty. I am not that cheap, lol.
However you want to see it.

also, the smc 50c pack only $35.......

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=121
I run Stock Buggy and Stock Stadium Truck so higher C is better for that in my Mod SCT i run no more that 40C to help "tame the power, I got that tip from a few "Pro" drivers.

I run shorties in my buggy and Stadium truck opnly and long packs in my SCT.

Try the speedtech batteries I posted back a few post ago those are great batteries. My Gens Ace shorties are awesome but they are never in stock.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Prophet

I bought a gensace after coming beck from my rc break. Its now a year old and works fine. But their prices have come up and SMC's have come down, so I just buy SMC now. And I would never pay the price that Reedy, trinity or protek ask. And for mod, I have used the Amain eco 30c 5k pack with success. Its also a year old and works great and has a pretty good IR still.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I get the promatch and smc packs because the companies are small american businesses and they support their product. SMC's owner has the thread on here and regularly supports the community. I understand that racers want to save a few bucks, but if I can afford it I prefer to support american companies. I dont care where the packs are made, because eveything comes from china, I care only about who I give my money to and how well they support the product.

Promatch's warranty: "We will replace any defective Lipo pack for 12 months from original delivery date."

SMC's Warranty: "All SMC packs come with 2 year damage or crash replacement program which allows you to get a damaged/crashed pack to be replaced at 30% off the regular sale price listed on our website plus shipping charges. A valid proof of purchase is required and it must be within the 2 year period. "
Just to add to that good list.

"Venom Lifetime Battery Replacement Plan
We are so certain of the quality of our battery line that we offer a Venom Lifetime Battery Replacement Plan on all of our rechargeable battery packs. Venom will, at our discretion, replace defective batteries free of charge within a period of 1 year from date of purchase. Year 2 onward, any Venom battery can be exchanged for a brand new battery of same size and type for 30% off original retail pricing. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, crash or water damage, modifications, or any damages arising as a result of improper use. We reserve the right to deny replacement to any serial abusers of our policy."

Batteries ship out of Idaho.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Casper
Just to add to that good list.

"Venom Lifetime Battery Replacement Plan
We are so certain of the quality of our battery line that we offer a Venom Lifetime Battery Replacement Plan on all of our rechargeable battery packs. Venom will, at our discretion, replace defective batteries free of charge within a period of 1 year from date of purchase. Year 2 onward, any Venom battery can be exchanged for a brand new battery of same size and type for 30% off original retail pricing. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, crash or water damage, modifications, or any damages arising as a result of improper use. We reserve the right to deny replacement to any serial abusers of our policy."

Batteries ship out of Idaho.
lol, casper they have a great warranty......I have used it a lot because all of my venom packs died, lol. But they took care of me fast and they were great. But i just expect more than 3 laps out of my packs, lol. I think the connection inside was breaking. I came off a jump, flat landed and the pack no longer showed voltage. Happened to 3 packs, then i sold them all off. But venom replaced them all.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For the price of a new battery from a lower end company vrs the price to replace I would most likely come out even in that dept. so your point in not valid.

His age doesn't matter cause the points he is making actually work out to be positive.
I have run high and low end batteries and being able to tell the difference usually takes a 7 to 8 min run. Most mains and qualifiers I run are usually 5 to 6 mins.

Whether you crash or not doesn't mean you have to buy expensive batteries.

Features? Seriously? this is a battery not an ESC or Servo. Sure there are some batteries that would not live up to the standards of "Pro" racers but even those guys could make them perform and do well running them. They get them for free so they dont have to worry about cost.
Lets just compare the SMC packs to the Turnigy packs. Like Wildcat posted if an SMC pack is defective, free replacement for the first year. Free+shipping is a lot less than a new pack from hobby king.

I'm just trying to figure out why he has the "If I can't tell a difference, then nobody else can tell the difference either" mentality. Usually this world view is common among young people, as they have yet to experience enough to realize there is a whole lot going on outside of what they have seen with their own eyes.

Whether you crash or not does make a difference in what you should buy. If you crash all the time, the cheap stuff will not hold you back. I have been into RC racing for 20+ years. My cars are as close to mechanically perfect as possible every time they hit the track. I test things as empirically as possibly, and I try to get the absolute most out of my equipment. There is just some high end stuff that can do things the cheap stuff can't, and if that feature is something that I feel will give me an advantage, you can bet that is what I will use. After this long in the hobby, just showing up and running my car is not that fun. Fun for me is getting my car set up perfect so I can turn fast consistent laps. Fast consistent laps translate into wins. If I have a perfect handling car, no crashes, and I get last, I'm happy. I got beat on skill alone. I also understand that for some people, simply the act of driving their car is enough to make them grin from ear to ear, and that is great. They can enjoy themselves, and not have to spend the money on the high end stuff.

Also, if you read his post that I quoted in my last post, you will see he mentioned cheap brushless systems too. I was just addressing this, not speaking of features of batteries. Although, are there any batteries available on hobby king that can do what the Orion WTS batteries can do? There is a "high end" battery that has a "feature" no cheap pack has.

What say you?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Lets just compare the SMC packs to the Turnigy packs. Like Wildcat posted if an SMC pack is defective, free replacement for the first year. Free+shipping is a lot less than a new pack from hobby king.

I'm just trying to figure out why he has the "If I can't tell a difference, then nobody else can tell the difference either" mentality. Usually this world view is common among young people, as they have yet to experience enough to realize there is a whole lot going on outside of what they have seen with their own eyes.

Whether you crash or not does make a difference in what you should buy. If you crash all the time, the cheap stuff will not hold you back. I have been into RC racing for 20+ years. My cars are as close to mechanically perfect as possible every time they hit the track. I test things as empirically as possibly, and I try to get the absolute most out of my equipment. There is just some high end stuff that can do things the cheap stuff can't, and if that feature is something that I feel will give me an advantage, you can bet that is what I will use. After this long in the hobby, just showing up and running my car is not that fun. Fun for me is getting my car set up perfect so I can turn fast consistent laps. Fast consistent laps translate into wins. If I have a perfect handling car, no crashes, and I get last, I'm happy. I got beat on skill alone. I also understand that for some people, simply the act of driving their car is enough to make them grin from ear to ear, and that is great. They can enjoy themselves, and not have to spend the money on the high end stuff.

Also, if you read his post that I quoted in my last post, you will see he mentioned cheap brushless systems too. I was just addressing this, not speaking of features of batteries. Although, are there any batteries available on hobby king that can do what the Orion WTS batteries can do? There is a "high end" battery that has a "feature" no cheap pack has.

What say you?
I say " you really didint say anything" If I want to add weight I can do that with out spending 110 bucks.

Whats that you say?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I say " you really didint say anything" If I want to add weight I can do that with out spending 110 bucks.

Whats that you say?
Actually I did say quite a lot. I countered every one of the points you on which you tried to call me out. There is nothing you can say, hence the reason why I asked that.

Oh and I was just pointing out a high end battery that has a feature no cheap pack does. I personally run no extra weight in my car, and I even run a shorty pack. I tune the suspension to make the car handle how I want. Now if I go to a race that techs for weight, I may have to add some weight, but you can bet it will be as close to center so as to have as little effect on handling as possible.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

What if all you have is the Orion WTS packs and you want to run no weight in the pack...you are basically only able to run the pack in the full forward or full rear of the tray. You can't experiment with the pack anywhere in the middle of the car. It's a good idea but not for everyone.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Actually I did say quite a lot. I countered every one of the points you on which you tried to call me out. There is nothing you can say, hence the reason why I asked that.

Oh and I was just pointing out a high end battery that has a feature no cheap pack does. I personally run no extra weight in my car, and I even run a shorty pack. I tune the suspension to make the car handle how I want. Now if I go to a race that techs for weight, I may have to add some weight, but you can bet it will be as close to center so as to have as little effect on handling as possible.
You got me......

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
What if all you have is the Orion WTS packs and you want to run no weight in the pack...you are basically only able to run the pack in the full forward or full rear of the tray. You can't experiment with the pack anywhere in the middle of the car. It's a good idea but not for everyone.
I'll be honest it isn't worth the time to try with that guy...He is so good that not even the "pros' want to race against him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.