Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DsWright
I put the XXX setup in my sons buggy and it has been good so far. Seems to have a slightly narrower adjustment range than the 14ball, but also seems to last a little longer compared to the standard 14ball losi.

with 12 ball use the AE Carbide balls and thrust bearings.

IMO the thrust bearing is really what matters for diff life. People tend to overlook that and sometimes not even clean/relube it when they rebuild a diff and wonder why it's trash after a couple weekends.....

Anyone make captured thrust assemblies for the 22? I used to run them in my Nitro cars back in the day, and loved them! Don't see them anymore though...
Casper does check out this link: http://www.casper-rc.com/

I run them and love them.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76
Casper does check out this link: http://www.casper-rc.com/

I run them and love them.
That's EXACTLY what i was looking for. Will get one for my next build for sure! Thanks!

Captured thrust like this keep your diff smooth so much longer!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DsWright
I put the XXX setup in my sons buggy and it has been good so far. Seems to have a slightly narrower adjustment range than the 14ball, but also seems to last a little longer compared to the standard 14ball losi.

with 12 ball use the AE Carbide balls and thrust bearings.

IMO the thrust bearing is really what matters for diff life. People tend to overlook that and sometimes not even clean/relube it when they rebuild a diff and wonder why it's trash after a couple weekends.....

Anyone make captured thrust assemblies for the 22? I used to run them in my Nitro cars back in the day, and loved them! Don't see them anymore though...
Check my signature!

|
V
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Does anyone run this buggy blinky 17.5 with the battery pushed all the way back? I mean no pads behind the battery at all? If so how does it work out for you? Do you add weight to the front?

I had mine set with three pads behind the battery to help with steering but with the new exotek steering rack I am looking to try this out. Just looking for recommendations so I know what to try first when I test it out. I just installed the aluminum battery brace to push the battery back as far as I could.

Does anyone run the battery this way even in mod?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Give it a try. should help to add some more rear traction. The alum battery tray give you a 10mm forward position. It does not move the try any further toward the rear of the car then the stock plastic one. Just make sure you adjust the ride height if you do move the battery.

Last edited by Casper; 05-07-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anyone run the battery this way even in mod?
Why don't you just try it? People run all sorts of different adjustments in all sorts of different places. Battery position is so easy to change, why don't you just try it? What does it matter where anyone else runs their battery. If it works for you, run it that way.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Why don't you just try it? People run all sorts of different adjustments in all sorts of different places. Battery position is so easy to change, why don't you just try it? What does it matter where anyone else runs their battery. If it works for you, run it that way.
Why comment if you have nothing to add in regards to the question I asked?
Why is it every time you respond to someone its some smart ass response that offers not answer to the question/problem at hand?

If you read which clearly you can but not sure you comprehend I asked if people who run or ran it like this added any weight or did anything of the such so i could figure it out a little bit quicker.

Its a simple concept respond with a solution or answer or don't respond.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Does anyone run this buggy blinky 17.5 with the battery pushed all the way back? I mean no pads behind the battery at all? If so how does it work out for you? Do you add weight to the front?

I had mine set with three pads behind the battery to help with steering but with the new exotek steering rack I am looking to try this out. Just looking for recommendations so I know what to try first when I test it out. I just installed the aluminum battery brace to push the battery back as far as I could.
I actually run a fully 5300mah pack all the way forward in the stock position with 1 pad behind but I also have 14 grams of weight stripped to the pad.

I find it gives the car a really neutral jumping style, I rarely have to make corrections in the air, but it also allows me to get grip on the rear and maintain a fairly neutral steering position.

Ill be ordering a Exotek Steering rack next pay so will see how that goes.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cloaked
I actually run a fully 5300mah pack all the way forward in the stock position with 1 pad behind but I also have 14 grams of weight stripped to the pad.

I find it gives the car a really neutral jumping style, I rarely have to make corrections in the air, but it also allows me to get grip on the rear and maintain a fairly neutral steering position.

Ill be ordering a Exotek Steering rack next pay so will see how that goes.
I see id didnt specify that I am running a shorty pack since I am running stock I need less weight.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Yes he is a jerk. But he is not wrong, he just says it an a jerkish way. Its best for you to try things and see how you like them. Just because I dont like something, does not mean you should not try it. With simple thing like battery placement, you can just play with it. If it comes down to spending $150 on upgrades, I would also prefer to ask people opinions before I buy. Just like i asked you about your impressions of the $70 exotek rack. But his standard line of "Try it for yourself and stop being lazy", would be applied to about 80% or more of the people on these forums. I get the same things at work, people like to ask someone a question before they even bother to research it. They almost always reply, "Its faster to just ask you than look it up", but at work anyway, they fail to realize, I have a job to do and they just slow me down by being lazy. Now on the forums, you are not really slowing anyone's productivity, but some people get angry about try to find information and having to look through pages and pages of non sense questions.

Now, I dont really have an issue with your question and he is most often seen saying the exact same variation of "Did you even look or try it, stop being lazy" posts. He pretty much just rephrases that in every post. While he is not completely wrong, he definitely is not very polite.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I see id didnt specify that I am running a shorty pack since I am running stock I need less weight.
I also run Stock Blinky class.

I tried to run a shorty pack and didnt like it, on the looser australian tracks it makes the car too light and fidgety.

I am no slower with the full pack then guys running Shorties and hell off the line my 22 is the fastest.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I understand that your trying to balance the front to rear now that you have the exotek rack. Moving the pack back will increase your forward bite, as it puts more weight over the rear. But it will also increase the pendulum effect. That is, when your rear breaks loose it will be more prone to a more violent swing and harder to correct. What I did in my b4 when I switched to the shorty was. I got lose of 1 and 1/2 thickness foams. I started with the shorty all the way back and just started move pad behind the back until it was all the way forward. Then I made notes of how it felt to me. People always say you get a ton of steering with the pack all the way forward. I didnt feel that. the front felt lazy to me. most likely because the front now needed more energy to go left to right in turns. When i did them, I might have also wanted to stiffen the front or oils also. its all a give and take. I would try the same thing with your 22. try it all the way back and just start adding pads behind the pack and find out where you like it.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cloaked
I also run Stock Blinky class.

I tried to run a shorty pack and didnt like it, on the looser australian tracks it makes the car too light and fidgety.

I am no slower with the full pack then guys running Shorties and hell off the line my 22 is the fastest.
Noted! I ran full packs for a long time but when I switched to shorty's i noticed a difference in handling and it help me improve.

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I understand that your trying to balance the front to rear now that you have the exotek rack. Moving the pack back will increase your forward bite, as it puts more weight over the rear. But it will also increase the pendulum effect. That is, when your rear breaks loose it will be more prone to a more violent swing and harder to correct. What I did in my b4 when I switched to the shorty was. I got lose of 1 and 1/2 thickness foams. I started with the shorty all the way back and just started move pad behind the back until it was all the way forward. Then I made notes of how it felt to me. People always say you get a ton of steering with the pack all the way forward. I didnt feel that. the front felt lazy to me. most likely because the front now needed more energy to go left to right in turns. When i did them, I might have also wanted to stiffen the front or oils also. its all a give and take. I would try the same thing with your 22. try it all the way back and just start adding pads behind the pack and find out where you like it.
I will take that and run with it thanks for the help. I do not know if I will like it but I wanted to get and much info from people who have run it like this I I have a better idea on what to try and what no to try.

I run on med to high bite tracks and this Friday I will be running West Coast raceway which is high bite so I know what to look for now.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Noted! I ran full packs for a long time but when I switched to shorty's i noticed a difference in handling and it help me improve.

I will take that and run with it thanks for the help. I do not know if I will like it but I wanted to get and much info from people who have run it like this I I have a better idea on what to try and what no to try.

I run on med to high bite tracks and this Friday I will be running West Coast raceway which is high bite so I know what to look for now.
I hate to add fuel to the fire but I tend to agree with such a simple change give it a try and see how you like it. I would think it might be better at Peg then WC but the rest of your setup will determine some of how this works to balance out your car as well. A lot of us run the 10mm forward position the alum battery holder gives you but by no means is this the only location that works for the buggy.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Casper,

Has anyone tried your thrust bearing in the RB6? And if doesn't fit, will you eventually sell one that does?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.