Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
most of mine are 20 year old Thorps and still look new, same as MIP. Biggest thing no matter the quality of the tool is digging the dirt out completely b4 wrenching.
I stupidly just broke one of my Thorpe's - the 3/32 ball end. Grrr.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gticlay
I stupidly just broke one of my Thorpe's - the 3/32 ball end. Grrr.
That is impressive. I have broken 1/16th and .050 but 3/32 even a ball end is impressive!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
That is impressive. I have broken 1/16th and .050 but 3/32 even a ball end is impressive!
I broke a 3/32nd ball last summer trying to take the engine mount bolts off of my 8ight. I was quite upset.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Casper/Frank

I have a question regarding mid motor.

It seems alot of pro drivers both local and abroad are going to mid motor setups. But it mainly seems that this is for High-Med Grip tracks.

My question is would it be beneficial on a loose-med grip track? I know less weight over the rear tyres will take away traction, but as our track is very twisty I feel the less weight over the rear will help reduce the pendulum effect. (Car has a tendency to swap ends very quickly) Obviously I would need to add a bit of weight to the rear to maintain some grip.

If it helps I am running Frank Roots Standard Setup with the following changes:
Full Size Battery
AEE 25wt in the front/22.5wt in the rear - Bump compliance is very good so I dont want to alter this too much.

I am also running 17.5/Stock class

Cheers
Will

Last edited by Cloaked; 04-17-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
I broke a 3/32nd ball last summer trying to take the engine mount bolts off of my 8ight. I was quite upset.
Yeah any time I know I am going to be cranking on somthing hard I use my straight 3/32.

Originally Posted by Cloaked
Casper/Frank

It seems alot of pro drivers both local and abroad are going to mid motor setups for the 22. But it mainly seems that this is for High-Med Grip tracks.

My question is would it be beneficial on a loose-med grip track? I know less weight over the rear tyres will take away traction, but as our track is very twisty I feel the less weight over the rear will help reduce the pendulum effect. (Car has a tendency to swap ends very quickly) Obviously I would need to add a bit of weight to the rear to maintain some grip.

Full Size Battery
AEE 25wt in the front/22.5wt in the rear - Bump compliance is very good so I dont want to alter this too much.

Cheers
Will
Let me put it this way. Cactus was the first large US race I am aware of that had a Mid motor car win. That track was extreme traction (carpet like). I would stick with rear motor for most all dirt tracks. We still feel this is the best configuration for these surfaces. Low bite you will not get the forward bite you are looking for.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Yeah any time I know I am going to be cranking on somthing hard I use my straight 3/32.

Let me put it this way. Cactus was the first large US race I am aware of that had a Mid motor car win. That track was extreme traction (carpet like). I would stick with rear motor for most all dirt tracks. We still feel this is the best configuration for these surfaces. Low bite you will not get the forward bite you are looking for.
I heard that the A-main hobbies track that Nats and the Worlds will be at will probably need mid-motor. Any thoughts on that track?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up This One??

I heard that the A-main hobbies track that Nats and the Worlds will be at will probably need mid-motor. Any thoughts on that track?
Sick>>>
http://www.amainhobbies.com/Tracks/s...raceway/about/
Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cloaked
Casper/Frank

It seems alot of pro drivers both local and abroad are going to mid motor setups for the 22. But it mainly seems that this is for High-Med Grip tracks.

Full Size Battery

Cheers
Will
Just want to say:
If you have a TLR 22 (not an RTR version), why not have a try?
It's worth the effort to have a completely different experience. Regardless of bad or not.

It just gives a lot of front wheel grip in the corners, thus more speed inside the corner.
However, in corner exit, you can't accelerate as hard as the rear motor car, or it will spin out very easily.

Rear motor configuration allow you to slow down, spin the tail out quickly, and heavy accelerate away in a straight line (with minimum front grip). For an overpowered RC car, it's an efficient and easier way to put the power down (efficient because CoG is pretty much at the rear wheel when accelerating hard, and easy because the front wheel have almost no grip when accelerating, maybe sacrifice a bit in corner speed but also gain a bit with shorter distance and defensive inside racing line), quicker especially on medium-low grip tracks.
While mid motor want you to go smooth, keep the speed in the corners and smoothly accelerate out of the corner. Keeping the speed in the corner can also means taking a wider out-in-out racing line. Result is:
1.It's difficult to control, you need to have a good feel about the grip, and smoothly on the edge (on a bumpy track with inconsistent traction, it's unpredictable => impossible to do it perfectly).
2.It's harder and later to put the power down (ideally at a faster speed when you finally put the power down).
3.It's usually more dusty outside the racing line, simply less grip out there.

However, in Europe they drive on high grip carpet track, even this year's whatever classic's sugar track. The traction made it easier and predictable, extra in-corner speed plays a bigger role than faster acceleration, especially with many long corners. (and probably it's also pretty clean outside of the racing line).

*Hara used mid motor RB6 in 2013 reedy ROC, but WCRC has beautiful smooth clay track and very good traction. And Hara is the master of all kinds of RC car...

I'm more curious if they are going to have the same track layout/configuration for the world's? It's a 1/8 scale's track, isn't it a bit too big for 1/10?

Last edited by nicholasxuu; 04-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Prophet

I don't have a clue what traction will be like for nats/worlds.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nicholasxuu

I'm more curious if they are going to have the same track layout/configuration for the world's? It's a 1/8 scale's track, isn't it a bit too big for 1/10?
If I remember correctly they are required to significantly change the layout for a Worlds. Even prevent access on it I think.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1Yankee
the clamping force is distributed over fewer points of contact, but then a greater clamping force is required to not slip over those fewer points. if the balls are located at a shorter radius from the axle's axis, the torque applied by the gear through the balls is greater, requiring more clamping force again. you go ahead and do what you feel makes you faster, but the laws of physics say more balls at a greater radius is better.
.. more balls at a greater radius is better for what? I can see that it would be a better design to prevent slipping, but it seems more balls at a greater radius make the diff work harder to do what it's designed to do: allow each wheel rotate at different speeds.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by F1Yankee
the clamping force is distributed over fewer points of contact, but then a greater clamping force is required to not slip over those fewer points. if the balls are located at a shorter radius from the axle's axis, the torque applied by the gear through the balls is greater, requiring more clamping force again. you go ahead and do what you feel makes you faster, but the laws of physics say more balls at a greater radius is better.

why would it spin more freely? if the gear pitch is the same and the only other points of contact are the same outdrive bearings, what is there to be different? if the outdrives are contacting the 22 gear, then add that to the list of lousy 22 diff parts, along with the screw, thrust, nut and spring.
More freely? There are at least a couple counter acting considerations. The balls at a smaller radii generate less torque to an extent. The silicone viscous damping, which I believe is a significant part of diff action, including the amount used, is speed-strain rate sensitive, less there at the smaller radii. Seems to at least come close if not more than offset any impact of the tightness assuming good balls are used.

To be honest I tried it mostly because of parts I had laying around. Seems to work fine. But either way, no biggie.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by goehm
.. more balls at a greater radius is better for what? I can see that it would be a better design to prevent slipping, but it seems more balls at a greater radius make the diff work harder to do what it's designed to do: allow each wheel rotate at different speeds.
Drat, beat again.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Drat, beat again.
Yea but you sounded so much smarter. Radii? I could only hope to use that word.

Now, I ask - what's the plural of radii? Radiii? Radiis?

Now we can all feel dumber.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys,

recently sold my rb6 because i got bored with it. Had a 22 around a year ago and was thinking about giving it another go. Is there anything new with the car or is it still the same old red/white 55 pistons with 3 degree LRC setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.