Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Repeat after me, gearing is not something specific to any car. Gearing questions do not belong in the thread for the car you run. The motor will need the same final drive ratio, no matter which buggy you run. How is it that every page in every thread for every vehicle has someone asking, "how should I gear my XYZ motor"? The gearing recommendation chart on Novaks site, and gearchart.com will get you in the ballpark for any motor, every time. From there it is going to take some effort on your part. Is it really that hard to understand this? In closing, build a man a fire he stays warm for the night, set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.

I don't really think the Reedy Sonics are known to be one of the faster spec motors. Spec racing is always going to a motor of the week situation, unless the rules change. I say if you want to be successful, look into one of the known "fast" motors. That being said, good drivers carry more corner speed, which may seem why the fast guys seem to pull you down the strait. Have one of the good drivers at your track see what they think of your cars power.
Sorry to get your panties in a wad. I'm new to electric and did not know about those sites with the charts. I will check them out.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't really think the Reedy Sonics are known to be one of the faster spec motors. Spec racing is always going to a motor of the week situation, unless the rules change. I say if you want to be successful, look into one of the known "fast" motors. That being said, good drivers carry more corner speed, which may seem why the fast guys seem to pull you down the strait. Have one of the good drivers at your track see what they think of your cars power.
Understood, and maybe my fault for giving more information than I needed too. Top speed aside what I really want to know is, if there is a "tell" for when it's time to rebuild a motor, is it worth rebuilding a motor? I see the parts for sale but figured the experts here would could give me a practical answer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LBR_Frank
Understood, and maybe my fault for giving more information than I needed too. Top speed aside what I really want to know is, if there is a "tell" for when it's time to rebuild a motor, is it worth rebuilding a motor? I see the parts for sale but figured the experts here would could give me a practical answer.

Thanks in advance.
Only two things that can really go bad in a brushless motor. You can blow a bearing and those are pretty easy to check. The stator can demagatize but this typically only happens if you get the motor really hot and then you can ruin the stator as well.

There are some tells for when a rotor goes bad as motor does not have any rip anymore and gets really hot with your "old" gearing but that could be bad bearings as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Casper
Only two things that can really go bad in a brushless motor. You can blow a bearing and those are pretty easy to check. The stator can demagatize but this typically only happens if you get the motor really hot and then you can ruin the stator as well.

There are some tells for when a rotor goes bad as motor does not have any rip anymore and gets really hot with your "old" gearing but that could be bad bearings as well.
Thanks Casper. Sounds like it's pretty obvious when it's time. What I figured but wanted to make sure there were no early tells.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LBR_Frank
Thanks Casper. Sounds like it's pretty obvious when it's time. What I figured but wanted to make sure there were no early tells.
What is your gearing and motor timing?

I run a reedy 17.5 and i was geared 34/70 or 32/70 depending on the track. Motor timing at 44 degree.

This past Saturday I switched it up and went 30/76 and its everything I need to run with the big boys at my local track.

Motor temps for the day never exceeded 95 degrees and the high temp was 78 degrees for the day.

Here is a link of that race for reference (and its my first time being recorded) with out my mistakes I would have been in the battle for 1st!

http://youtu.be/Wx09PKfBkVw

Last edited by Carranza76; 04-01-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Anyone running the avid slipper system? If so are you running the stock or mod version?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing
Anyone running the avid slipper system? If so are you running the stock or mod version?
The only real difference between the "stock and mod version" is the gear selection.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pablo040
The only real difference between the "stock and mod version" is the gear selection.
Yeah I was thinking avout just grabbing the stock version
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A lot of people that run the triad really seem to like it.

Last edited by ifuonlyknew; 04-01-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76

I run a reedy 17.5 and i was geared 34/70 or 32/70 depending on the track. Motor timing at 44 degree.

This past Saturday I switched it up and went 30/76 and its everything I need to run with the big boys at my local track.

Motor temps for the day never exceeded 95 degrees and the high temp was 78 degrees for the day.

Here is a link of that race for reference (and its my first time being recorded) with out my mistakes I would have been in the battle for 1st!

you were casing some of the jumps. might want a little more gearing since your running so cool.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
you were casing some of the jumps. might want a little more gearing since your running so cool.
No I dont need more gearing, I was just trying to land on the down side as that make for a much smoother run and faster lap times. I was not full throttle on the big triple cause you have a turn as soon as you land and over shooting it is not a good ting if you want to compete.

My gearing is on point. Not sure there is much more you can do gearing wise to get more out this motor and set up.

Last edited by Carranza76; 04-01-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah and if everyone else didn't make mistakes they would have been in the battle for first too. Not making mistakes is what makes a good driver. How did your lap times compare to the guy that won? 3/10th a lap slower than the leader is not battling for the lead.
So sorry Mr. Pro thanks for the imput I will take your advise and make sure i dont listen to it.

I did not say I was batting for the lead I said without my mistakes I would have been in the battle. My lap times were very comparable. I will mention I have only been in this hobby for a little over a year and a half so I am happy with my progress. The leaders are damn good drivers who used to put two laps on me very easily.

There is always that one guy...
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Repeat after me, gearing is not something specific to any car. Gearing questions do not belong in the thread for the car you run. The motor will need the same final drive ratio, no matter which buggy you run. How is it that every page in every thread for every vehicle has someone asking, "how should I gear my XYZ motor"? The gearing recommendation chart on Novaks site, and gearchart.com will get you in the ballpark for any motor, every time. From there it is going to take some effort on your part. Is it really that hard to understand this? In closing, build a man a fire he stays warm for the night, set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life,

I agree. But, playing devil's advocate I put myself into the shoes of a new racer and tried to follow the advice you gave. I went to www.teamnovak.com and couldn't find the gearing recommendation chart under Tech Info or elsewhere, and a search for gearing, chart, or anything else resulted in no hits (I could find pinion gears, however).

Also, gearchart.com doesn't have TLR22 under the pulldowns, but they do have the XXX BK2 on there. So the new racer will need to research the transition ratio.

So while I absolutely agree that people need to understand gearing, I think there may be better tools.

Page 33 of the TLR22 manual (http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...022_manual.PDF) has a tailored gearing chart for the buggy for 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 13.5, and 17.5 motors.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
I agree. But, playing devil's advocate I put myself into the shoes of a new racer and tried to follow the advice you gave. I went to www.teamnovak.com and couldn't find the gearing recommendation chart under Tech Info or elsewhere, and a search for gearing, chart, or anything else resulted in no hits (I could find pinion gears, however).

Also, gearchart.com doesn't have TLR22 under the pulldowns, but they do have the XXX BK2 on there. So the new racer will need to research the transition ratio.

So while I absolutely agree that people need to understand gearing, I think there may be better tools.

Page 33 of the TLR22 manual (http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...022_manual.PDF) has a tailored gearing chart for the buggy for 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 13.5, and 17.5 motors.
The novak chart was not as easy to find as it was. They redid the web site.

http://teamnovak.com/tech_info/view_article/26

22 and XXX Gen I (Black tranny) have t eh same internal ratio of 2.43:1
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Carranza76

Thanks Carranza, was running same as you. geared 34/70 or 32/70 depending on the track. Motor timing at 44 degree.

Curious why 30/76 worked for you? Might be the magic number. Looks like that FDR is right in between a 28/70 and 27/70. I did try 30/70 long ago but man that was slow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.