Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run shorty packs in my 22. I'm using the stock plactic battery tray. I shaved the front of the plactic tray down. So I can get my batteries in/out of the buggy. I have the foam in all the back. Under the ESC shelf. So the battery is in forward position. In the buggy.

I hope this helps you out.

Originally Posted by Nathan_OR
I'm sorry but I'm still trying to figure out where people are running their shorty packs. Are you using the forward battery tray holes in the chassis, or the rearward holes in the chassis? Are you using the plastic battery tray, or aluminum? If aluminum, are you using the mounting holes to the front or to the rear of the tray?

It seems like everyone is specifying battery location differently for these shorty packs... maybe we should just agree on measuring how much mm of foam is behind the battery... or take a photo

Can anyone help me be less confused??!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nathan_OR, there is no "SET" position ever for the shorty battery in any car. This position will change day to day even on the same track, and sometimes even from heat race to heat race on the same day... it all depends on the way the car feels and the available traction.
I'm not sure why many people believe there is some magic setup position for the shorty pack. The best way to find out on your own racing surface is to try it out. During practice with the facility's laptimer running, start with the pack all the way back and run some smooth laps, about 3 to 4, then pull over, add a pad or half a pad, and try again, listening to the laptimes. Slowly but surely work the battery as far fwd as you can handle. Wherever you have the battery during your fastest laptimes is most likely ideal for your conditions (track, suspension and driving conditions).
Hope this helps as not "everyone" runs the battery in the same location, given even the same conditions.
I can usually find where my battery works best with just one lipo charge worth of practice, by just doing a few laps at a time...smart laps... and not just laps, to do laps just burning tires up, expecting the car to miraculously get better on its' own.

BTW: I have only run shorty packs 100% of the time, since they came out with them
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nathan_OR
I'm sorry but I'm still trying to figure out where people are running their shorty packs. Are you using the forward battery tray holes in the chassis, or the rearward holes in the chassis? Are you using the plastic battery tray, or aluminum? If aluminum, are you using the mounting holes to the front or to the rear of the tray?

It seems like everyone is specifying battery location differently for these shorty packs... maybe we should just agree on measuring how much mm of foam is behind the battery... or take a photo

Can anyone help me be less confused??!
I use the aluminum one and rear holes for most adjustment . My battery placement changes depending on track conditions . When the track is tacky and I have tons of steering the battery is all the way forward or in middle . When track dries up and need more off power steering I put the battery all the way back .
For me there is no one constant spot as I use the battery position for tuning .
Hope that helps and not confuse you more .
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by losi b
I think the only way for all 22 drivers to correctly and easily describe battery location would be to give the number of battery pads away from the rear shock tower along with shorty or full size battery.
Thanks, THIS is the point I was asking about, NOT about "where exactly do YOU personally run your battery?"

Sorry if I sounded like I wanted one battery position. What I want is a way of telling what the heck people mean when specifying a battery position.

For example, when they say "all the way forward", all I can glean from that is "no foam in front of the battery". But there are at least three different battery positions for a shorty pack with no foam in front of the battery... hence my confusion.

Specifying foams behind battery is great, or better yet (since different foams are different thickness), mm of foam, or "2 1/2 TLR foams", whatever. But space behind battery!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Moving Your Batt changes LOTS of relationships (CG vs RC, Roll axis, weight amplification/transfer) and I consider it a coarse adjustment. Personally I never change my packs position from my initial frequency and amplitude test's on the bench. Once I have found balance (95% of the time batt all the way forward in 2wd buggy) I leave it, no need to add any more potential amplification to the rear (unless I add weight to the TOP on the trans, which induces more roll, but I rarely add weight low on the chassis, this will decrease rear traction b/c of the lowerd CG), once again its my preference.

Everyone has there way of tuning, Move your pack during the heat I do not care, but I find if I am moving the battery to help me tune, then I am WAY off the mark.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

im sure this has been beaten to death, but does anyone know of some spoked or otherwise non-dish wheels for the 22b? i understand that smooth wheels are typically faster, just looking for something to break up the monotony
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Any body know why TLR has discontinued 27.5wt oil. part number LOSA5214. I had this on back order. 90% of my setups on the 22 line of vehicles use 27.5 wt oil.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by underway
Any body know why TLR has discontinued 27.5wt oil. part number LOSA5214. I had this on back order. 90% of my setups on the 22 line of vehicles use 27.5 wt oil.
Good thing i stocked up on it for times like these. i had no idea that oil would be on backorder,all my setups use this oil even with my ae pistons for indoors.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Body

I don't like the stock body... What's a cool looking body for the 22? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by haywood
I don't like the stock body... What's a cool looking body for the 22? Thanks.
jconcepts punisher or finnisher,this is the finnisher
Attached Thumbnails TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread-photo.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Body

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ale-trade.html

What body is this?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by haywood
proline bulldog
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I'm about to order some parts to rebuild my diff, I'm going for the tungsten carbide diff balls, do I need to replace anything else?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by emaxxracer15
I'm about to order some parts to rebuild my diff, I'm going for the tungsten carbide diff balls, do I need to replace anything else?
Maybe some diff rings well.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Posted a few days ago with inquiry on the class, happy to say I picked up a nice little 22 with a fair amount of upgrades and will be race ready in 5 days. In the meantime I was hoping some of you experts could point towards some setup sheets. I run at OC/RC if you're familiar with it. If not it's a medium bite clay track, good size.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting it on the track for my first ever buggy race!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.