Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 810E - The Ultra Lightweight Electric 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

I would imagine Tony will be using the services of Rev Murray (I think that is his name) to get weight reduction done on all the main diff gears, outdrives and maybe some other parts. I don't know for sure, but I have seen the stuff Rev has done and it is nice!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I see a lot of people reporting issues with the diff pins wearing out on the SCTE, but have not seen anyone mention it on this thread. Are the 810 diff pins wearing out prematurely as well?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413
I see a lot of people reporting issues with the diff pins wearing out on the SCTE, but have not seen anyone mention it on this thread. Are the 810 diff pins wearing out prematurely as well?
Yep. All 3 difs were just about shot on mine after only a few race days. Edumakated had his rear dif fail at the last race. Fortunately he had a set of gears/pins in the spare parts bag.

Same issues.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I hope to have diff pins available this week. I'll post more info when I've actually got stock.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
Yep. All 3 difs were just about shot on mine after only a few race days. Edumakated had his rear dif fail at the last race. Fortunately he had a set of gears/pins in the spare parts bag.

Same issues.
Are these the cross pins that are keyed into the backs of the bevel gears inside the diff?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

No. They are the main cross pins that the 4 satellite gears spin on. Basically they wear a groove on them where the small gear spins. Once it gets bad the gears dont mesh properly any more and then they fail... chewing up the entire dif.

This is what it looks like. Pin is worn almost halfway through.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

WOW, what the hell did they use for material, butter?!?! I haven't seen anything that bad from Losi since the Junior-2 and Junior-T. They had wheel bushings instead of wheel bearings and Losi used aluminum front axles. Almost the same picture as your diff.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone used the losi 45t spur off of the 8ight with the monster conversion. My motor mount screw kept coming loose and let my pinion eat up my spur gear. I read a few people had said they had used the 45t with there conversion so i tried it but the spur wont fit it rubs on the dif spacer that was in the monster kit. So i was going to see if anyone had any ides or if the people using the 8ight spur had the elite kit. Has anyone tried the scte spur which i think is a 40t how much would that change gearing on a castle 1415 4 pole motor. Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

The SCTE 40T will fit. Its a mod1 pitch gear so you would need to change from the 32 pitch pinion that you got with the RC monster kit.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Same issues.
Bummer, I got my 810 out on the track for the first time this weekend and it was impressive. Quicker handling, longer runtime and great power to weight ratio. Now I can't run it until Losi gets the pins corrected or I risk blowing the entire diff. FAIL.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413
Bummer, I got my 810 out on the track for the first time this weekend and it was impressive. Quicker handling, longer runtime and great power to weight ratio. Now I can't run it until Losi gets the pins corrected or I risk blowing the entire diff. FAIL.
I feel your pain. I'm trying to not run it much hoping Losi will release revised pins soon.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love running my 810e too, but indoor is almost over for me. Starting this Sat I'm hoping to be driving the 8e outdoors.

Today I registered my vehicle and called in to get on the list for the "new" hardened pins. I'm also on the list of a guy who is making extra hard pins himself.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tony,

I got a chance to weigh some parts for you tonight.

810 Center dif with Losi plastic spur = 66g
Stock chassis (no mud guards) = 278g
Wheel driveshaft with axle = 16g (actually a 10T axle, but its what I had in the parts bin without tearing apart the buggy to weigh it. It should at least be pretty close.)

BTW the Mugen center dif with the plastic spur gear is 76g

Also, in case you are interested in a reference between the Mugen ECO and the 810, its almost exactly 1 lb difference between the roller weights. Ive got them both now. I just finished setting up the Mugen today. Initial setup I am going to try is 3s with the Castle 1415 (2400kv) short course motor and the RX8. Weight RTR with tires is just a shade over 7lbs. This is using the same 3s 4200 battery I took the weights with on my 810. On the 810 that is a solid 12 minute main battery. It might even be able to squeak out a 15 minute main, but it would be to close for comfort IMO. For 15 minutes I think I would need to go with 3s 5000mah.

Since I last posted weights on my 810 I have switched from the RS-Pro to a RX8 esc. Also, the RX8 footprint is bigger than the RS-Pro and with my custom minimal battery tray I didn't leave enough room to squeeze it in behind the tray. I should have made the tray about a half inch shorter, its longer than I need and it is to long to fit a standard 1/8 esc behind it on the chassis. Could probably get a MMP back there, but thats it. So, for now I just threw a Losi SCTE battery tray on it. Running weight of the 810 is now 6.10 lbs, with the 3s 4200mah lipo, castle 1410 (3800kv) motor, losi tray and rx8.

The bone stock Mugen with the RX8, bigger castle 1415 (2400kv) motor and same 3s pack is 7.08 lbs. I dont think Im gonna get a chance to run it until the weekend of the 26th, but I am going to try it with this setup and see what kind of run time I get with it. It will be interesting to see if I can squeeze 10 minutes out of that setup. I think I can do it on 3s 5000 for sure. The 4200mah pack will be very very tight I'm guessing.

Around here in the winter 10 minutes is all I really need. The 1/8e classes at both of the tracks I usually race are only 10 minutes. Come summer outdoor racing I will probably just go back to the normal 4s setup with the Tekin 1900kv buggy motor so I can run 15 minute mains without worrying. Not to mention a little extra weight will probably be useful on the bumpier rutted outdoor tacks in the summer vs the fairly smooth indoor clay tracks where the lightweight really shines.

These weights for the mugen are the box stock weights for the ECO. There may be a chance to shave a little weight by getting the Titanium turnbuckles and getting the Carbon towers. Not sure what other lightweight options there are for the ECO though. The battery tray and servo mount/Rx box are actually pretty nice lightweight parts. Not much I would cut out of them. I think you will have a hard time shaving alot of weight out of this car unless you can get a custom chassis cut and have them mill a bunch of pockets out of it to cut the weight down. It seems most of the weight in the car is in the beefy suspension, normal 1/8 chassis and the normal 1/8 drive train. I think Mugen actually did a pretty nice job keeping the unnecessary weight down on the electric specific parts.

Weight with a 4s 5300 pack and a Tekin 1900 motor would go up about a half pound.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the ECO. Make sure you keep us posted!!!

This picture is of the Mugen RTR without paint, but everything else set up and mounted and the tires piled on top.
AWESOME, THANKS!

I am going to run that same Castle 1415 motor on 3S myself.

For lightweight upgrades from Mugen I have all of these in stock on my site that I'm using on the build. It's been a while but I think I posted the weights of these upgrades on my site under the product info of each. I'll check out my site and if not, I'll add the weight info as I build this car and weigh stuff .

(1) E0117: Titanium rear upper arm links (2pcs)
(2) E0242: Aluminum axle shafts (2pcs)
(1) E0243: Aluminum center joints (2pcs)
(1) E0327: Aluminum steering posts (2pcs)
(1) E0808: Titanium servo rod
(1) E0830: Titanium steering links (2pcs)
(1) E0831: Titanium upper screw set
(1) E0832: Titanium lower screw set

I also used my spare brand new MBX6 buggy so it already has the E0534 and E0535 carbon fiber front & rear shock towers. I kept the plastic rear hubs but did upgrade the front upper arm mount to the optional aluminum piece (E0177). I don't recall if the ECO ships with this upgrade.

Rev Murray does machine the ring (conical) gears, steel spur gears (not needed on the ECO) and cross drills the center out drives (like the stock front & rear out drives). I've been exchanging emails with him so I'll likely send him a pair of ring (conical) gears and center out drives to machine for me.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default Hardened diff pins for TEN-T, 810, TEN-SCTE

For those of you that are interested. I made a batch of hard diff pins last night and have more on the way. I posted an ad in the for sale forum. Please keep this thread clean and post any questions in my for sale thread.

Hardened diff pins for TEN-T, 810, TEN-SCTE

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Default Elite rc

What buggy body fits the elite rc conversion kit??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.