Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RX8: Has yours been reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Tekin RX8: Has yours been reliable?

I am trying to get some legitimate data on the success/failure rates of this ESC. I have heard too many different things, from sources that I cannot put names to, to reach a definite conclusion. I am not one to believe rumors, hear-say, or dated information. Therefore, I want to ask any and all users of the ESC to report their experience(s) with it.

So, if you have used a Tekin RX8, please post the following information:
-Which version it is, including which motor
-When you got it/how long you've been using it
-The setup in which you used it (include car, voltage, gearing, and intensity of running; IE, bashing or hard racing)
-Any problems you have had with it
-Your experience with Tekin's repair service if you had to send it in

I am not at all bashing the RX8, Tekin, or anyone who may be directly or indirectly involved. It is not my intention to lead any potential RX8 buyers away from it due to whatever may be posted in this thread. The only purpose of this thread is to gather unbiased, statistical information.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have 3 of them. The oldest was a 4 hole case that worked great for 3 months then had an issue and so I sent it in and Tekin's service was/is great. I highly recommend any and all of their products as they IMO are the best out and if any problem does arise they are quick to get it right with you.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I HAVE 2 RX8 AND HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE FIRST ONES OUT.... SENTI IT BACK AND NEVER HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM, THE RX8 ARE SMMOOTH EASY TO PROGRAM AND THE TEKIN SERVICE IS #1.... NO ONE IS BETTER. THE GUYS FROM TEKIN ARE HERE IN THE FORUM AND ONLINE ALMOST 24/7 TY AND RANDY WILL BENDOVER BACKWARDS TO GIVE YOU THE PRODUCT YOU PAY FOR. I RUN THE RX8/2050 IN MY 2.0 LOSI AND RX8/5.5 CS IN MY LOSI TEN SCT. I LOVE ALL TEKIN ESC'S AND RECOMEND THEM TO ALL THAT WANT THE BEST. THINGS HAPPEN, ELECTRONICS FAIL.... TEKING IS #1 FOR SERVICE AND PRODUCT! GO TEKIN! WE BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM AND KEEP ON GOING STRONG!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

CAPS are cruise control for cool...

Pretty sure the only guys at our track that HAVENT had issues are the guys with atekin

Watched a buddy of mine get 3 mins on his LRP and it blew up... And LRP told him to eff off pretty much
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

I am still using the two I bought last December, the red heat sink four hole ones. One is in my buggy using a 1900Kv motor on 5S and the other is in my truggy using a 1550Kv on 5S. No issues other than the fan blades breaking off (don't use the fans any more).
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 218 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_danpatterson
I am trying to get some legitimate data on the success/failure rates of this ESC. I have heard too many different things, from sources that I cannot put names to, to reach a definite conclusion. I am not one to believe rumors, hear-say, or dated information. Therefore, I want to ask any and all users of the ESC to report their experience(s) with it.

-The setup in which you used it (include car, voltage, gearing, and intensity of running; IE, bashing or hard racing)

I am not at all bashing the RX8, Tekin, or anyone who may be directly or indirectly involved. It is not my intention to lead any potential RX8 buyers away from it due to whatever may be posted in this thread. The only purpose of this thread is to gather unbiased, statistical information.

i had two of them both the old 4 hole case. i bought one had it for about3 months then i went to turn it on a race and when i fliped the switch, i got nothing just sat there. sent it in and it worked for about 3 months agian and samething.

used in a losi truggy 2250 motor 13p/46spur, 4s used for racing only, but it was only raced maybe twice a month, other then the not starting problem worked fine just was playing russian roulette on start up
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

bought mine used, it was the old style black heatsink four hole, landed a big jump flat and poof! i called tekin that day(a friday) explained to ty what happened and had a new 3hole red heatsink the following monday afternoon and have had zero problems since, and that includes hard landings,some cartwheeling and a few abrupt stops..........i run it with a 1700kv t8, 16/48, 5000mah 30c 4s............
Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Been through 2 of them. First one blew after about a dozen runs. Tekin replaced it for me and that one I had no problems with over a whole season.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the input so far. Please keep them coming.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Initiate

How do you tell them apart, where are these holes?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by vic viper
How do you tell them apart, where are these holes?
There are mounting holes on the bottom of the ESC for securing the ESC to the chassis/mounting plate. The old case design has 4 holes, new case design has 3 holes.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_danpatterson

I have owned a Tekin RX8 since they first came out last year. I had a total of three problems since then.

1. Rotor failed 5/09 after a few days of running. It was a well known problem and Tekin replaced it free no questions asked.
2. Motor stopped working 11/09. It was my fault though since I had the motor wires too short. After a while of "tugging" the solder had separated inside the motor. Tekin personnel fixed it for me at the event I was at.
3. ESC stopped working 6/10. Tekin replaced it with the new 3-hole case for a $40 charge. Quick turnaround time.

No problems since then. I run my buggy a lot so the RX8 has seen a ton of use. Overall, I'm very happy with the product and I would buy again. Tekin support is very good and I have had a ton of questions answered quickly from them. Since it is sensored, you get a very smooth running vehicle with it.

The stock fans don't last long. If you gear properly, you really wont need the fan. You can also upgrade to the ManicRC fans which are far more robust and last much longer.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blade329
You can also upgrade to the ManicRC fans which are far more robust and last much longer.
Not to hijack the thread here, but where do you get ManicRC fans? I've tried Googling them but with no results.

Thanks for your detailed input at the RX8 as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been running the RX8 since march, I went through about 6 of them in two months and i was really pissed off. They replaced the two i had in for repair with the new 3 hole case RX8's in may. And since then i have beat the hell out of both of them with absolutely no issues what so ever. 6 months ago i wouldn't have recommended the RX8 but after they fixed their issue i cant say enough about them. the customer service alone is worth the money.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

I have a rx8 that was fixed by tekin and have no problems with about 24 hrs of actual run time. I am getting another one soon, ill let you know how that one does as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.