Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What 10th scale rtr buggy for a 4 year old

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Evader is junk, IMO a Bandit would work.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
this is what I had when I was 4:

Believe it or not, it was a ton of fun and I actually wore one out over the couple years and my parents had to get me a new one. Thousands of laps around my house . . . . . I guess that's why my carpet is so flat now.

As far as the Evader BX - a 4 year old will break it, trust me. Regardless if the parts are free for one year, it will have more down time than runtime.

My vote: XL5 Bandit, with training mode enabled to limit the throttle to 50%
That's probably about what I had too, but with the way video games and things are now, I'm trying to find something that will get him outside, and something we can play with together. Playing army man, and transformers gets kind of boring for me pretty fast. I'm hoping we can both have fun and I can get him interested in my hobby. Something tells me though, that after chasing around a 4 year olds 30 mph car a few times, I'll be ready to go back to shooting decepticons.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

You could put a crawler motor in the B4.1. Something like a 45-55t would let him get the feeling of driving without making you pullout your hair.

My two year old brings me his toy cars and says he needs a speed control.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

I've been wanting to get my 5 yr old son involved in RC with me as well. I bought a used Tamiya Dark Impact 4wd buggy that I had him try out a few times, but it's way too fast for him right now as he doesn't have good throttle control yet. I would advise against a 2wd buggy just because it takes a lot more precision to drive it. If you want to stick with a buggy, get a 4wd rtr Kyosho ZX5 or the HPI Brama 10b rtr.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eddiemoney13
I've been wanting to get my 5 yr old son involved in RC with me as well. I bought a used Tamiya Dark Impact 4wd buggy that I had him try out a few times, but it's way too fast for him right now as he doesn't have good throttle control yet. I would advise against a 2wd buggy just because it takes a lot more precision to drive it. If you want to stick with a buggy, get a 4wd rtr Kyosho ZX5 or the HPI Brama 10b rtr.
A slash 2wd. easy to get parts for, very durable..pep boys even caries parts..he would have a blast with one..
Old 10-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

the precision thing though may be a benefit.

I think we need to keep in mind that kids today pick up things very fast if we let them.

I would say a 2wd vehicle will teach him some things that 4wd vehicles allow drivers to get bad habits in.

Also, its a bit easier to maintain since its only 2wd as well.

One recommendation though regardless of vehicle choice, so street tires go along way in saving your good track ones.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

I would absolutely vote for a short course truck like slash or blitz or even sc10. At the local track they rent them (sc10), until now i saw a few kids and women drive them, usually driving anywhere but in a straight line hitting left and right, and no breakage until now! The slash could be driven on several surfaces and not too much maintenance for you.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoousi
I would absolutely vote for a short course truck like slash or blitz or even sc10. At the local track they rent them (sc10), until now i saw a few kids and women drive them, usually driving anywhere but in a straight line hitting left and right, and no breakage until now! The slash could be driven on several surfaces and not too much maintenance for you.
And on top of everything else it's easier visually for kids to control. Larger..and the stock tires work ok for just about every surface..you can get them used for really cheap..ask your son which style he likes more..SC truck or buggy..I know what style my grandkids picked..everytime, but then again we would watch the real SC trucks race on tv..
Old 10-14-2010, 03:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
A slash 2wd. easy to get parts for, very durable..pep boys even caries parts..he would have a blast with one..
+1000 definitely slash all the way! It has training mode so its not too fast to start out on!
Plus its very tough!