Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What 10th scale rtr buggy for a 4 year old >

What 10th scale rtr buggy for a 4 year old

What 10th scale rtr buggy for a 4 year old

Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default What 10th scale rtr buggy for a 4 year old

I want to get my 4 year old an electric 10th buggy. Trucks are out of the question because he wants a buggy like me, but mine is an 8th scale nitro, and I'm not going to deal with a 4 year old and one of those.

I need something that is obviously super durable. I'm assuming that once he gets one, my friends will buy their kids one too, so I want a decent one. I know nothing about electric or 10th scale, so any advice will be helpful.

I know how these which buggy threads turn out. I'm not asking which one is the best, just which one would be a good starter for a little kid. The cheaper the better, but I don't want junk.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
I want to get my 4 year old an electric 10th buggy. Trucks are out of the question because he wants a buggy like me, but mine is an 8th scale nitro, and I'm not going to deal with a 4 year old and one of those.

I need something that is obviously super durable. I'm assuming that once he gets one, my friends will buy their kids one too, so I want a decent one. I know nothing about electric or 10th scale, so any advice will be helpful.

I know how these which buggy threads turn out. I'm not asking which one is the best, just which one would be a good starter for a little kid. The cheaper the better, but I don't want junk.
The traxxas bandit has an rtr version. I'm not a big fan of traxxas b/c it isn't real racer but this might be a good one for non-racers. I got the associated b4.1 brushless rtr and it has been great. It is more money than the traxxas. I don't really even know if the bandit is good or not. So wait and see what other people think.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Bandit is a good starter he will be able to grow with it. I don't know about brushless for a 4yr old. Maybe the XL5 would be beter for him. He will grow out of the Bandit at some point. If you can find the B4 rtr with out the brushless look in to that as it will be upgradeable and it and him can grow together.

Just make sure your LHS has parts for what you buy.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Tamiya has some nice 4WD buggies that will be easier to handle than 2WD buggies (plus the Tamiyas have the slow silvercan motor for good run time.) Plus they are pretty bulletproof
Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-Rek07
The traxxas bandit has an rtr version. I'm not a big fan of traxxas b/c it isn't real racer but this might be a good one for non-racers. I got the associated b4.1 brushless rtr and it has been great. It is more money than the traxxas. I don't really even know if the bandit is good or not. So wait and see what other people think.
The B4.1 is the one I am kind of looking at. I've got the RC8 so I thought about staying associated. Really though I'm open to anything. It's about what I was expecting to pay also, under 250$.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
The B4.1 is the one I am kind of looking at. I've got the RC8 so I thought about staying associated. Really though I'm open to anything. It's about what I was expecting to pay also, under 250$.
It definitely has plenty of power so you might want to gear it down for a 4 year old. And since you have cars i'm sure you know how to do that. Or you can just get the brushed version of it.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Yessssssss

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXTXT8**&P=ML

Parts are warrantied for a year!
My new b4.1 takes a beaaaaating with their plastic... i can only imagine what the durtrax plastic is like.

The Evader truck would be my first choice.. i have seen it drive on a track. and it is legit.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chonchachencho
Yessssssss

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXTXT8**&P=ML

Parts are warrantied for a year!
My new b4.1 takes a beaaaaating with their plastic... i can only imagine what the durtrax plastic is like.

The Evader truck would be my first choice.. i have seen it drive on a track. and it is legit.
I forgot about that one. It seems really cheap though.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by D-Rek07
I forgot about that one. It seems really cheap though.
Nay!! ive seen the truck in person... cant speak for the buggy but do know they share most of the same parts. Im confident in their products tho i dont run them (except for their Ice Charger) ill be getting my 5 year old nephew the RTR truck for christmassssssss.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can vouch for the bandit being tough as nails, good luck breaking one of those. The handles on the traxxas radios are kinda fat though so it might be a little big for a four year olds hands.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Adept

A Slashback maybe (a Traxxas Slash with a 1/8 buggy body, wing and wheels)
Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default DURATRAX

hi from experience with my son, he had just turned 5 when i got his first rc, it was an evader rtr truck, we still talk fondly and laugh about the beating it took and the lessons he learnt. that was 6 yrs ago. looking back a truck was the best choice as they can be driven on grass with the larger wheels as well as gravel pits and parks, bmx tracks, the beach ,camping,the street . you name it. you can not do that with a buggy with the smaller wheels. the evader has moved on.he has been through a b4 , b44,t4 since. we share our cars now, as he is a good driver now and doesnt break anymore. he didnt want to race till he was seven , but it surprised me how welcoming everybody at the track were no one complained about him hacking them they only offered him encouragement. enjoy your son and dont stress when he breaks the can easily be fixed by him.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Tamiya Grasshopper XB. Cheap, and absolutely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY bombproof. Plus the 380 is plenty fast enough for a young kid and provides ridiculously long run time with a modern battery (prolly close to an hour).

Did I say it's bombproof?

Paul
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

My choice would be the slash for a 4 year old because it is really strong,water proof,and has an excellent warranty on top of that.And if it breaks,then you have rpm hops for like 5 bucks more and they will never break.You really can't go wrong with the slash.The slash is also programable to where you can cut the power in half so he can learn the basics first and than you can bump him up to full speed.If you want to stick with the associated than get the sc10.I bought mine about a month ago and love the thing.It is very durable but i doubt it can handle a 4 year old beating.I would go with the slash overall because it cost less and will be a stronger car for him.

Last edited by kman16jr; 10-14-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

this is what I had when I was 4:

Believe it or not, it was a ton of fun and I actually wore one out over the couple years and my parents had to get me a new one. Thousands of laps around my house . . . . . I guess that's why my carpet is so flat now.

As far as the Evader BX - a 4 year old will break it, trust me. Regardless if the parts are free for one year, it will have more down time than runtime.

My vote: XL5 Bandit, with training mode enabled to limit the throttle to 50%

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.