Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

usually about 4 hours, alternating between my sc10, and my b4.1
Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Tomorrow racing starts at 3. Ill be there by 10am.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A.King
Thank you for all the response. I read an interview one time where J. Tebo said when he first started racing he practiced from 8 to 10 hours a week and now days he said he probably puts double that time in now. It sounded unrealistic to me but I guess he gets all his equipment for free.
It's not that his equipment is free, it's that racing for Kyosho is his JOB. While the rest of us are janitors, IT guys or whatever during the day and racing in the off time, he's racing/practicing all the time.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

On a new off-road track, usually 3-4 packs. At big races, all day on practice day, and at a weekly race, one pack at the most but usually I just throw down in the first heat and go, especially in carpet racing since the track conditions don't really change.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A.King
I am new to this hobby and I practice on a track about 2 to 3 hours a week. Just out of curiousity what are some other average practice times? I realize everyone is different in every conceviable way(thank god) but again I was just curious. Thanks for any input.
The key is the quality if the practice time versus the actual time spent. If you can get out there with a couple of guys that are better than you, and you concentrate on good clean driving and picking up tips as to where they are making time, then 1 hour of that will trump 5 hours of just "driving."

I like to only a couple of packs for practice unless it is a large event where we are getting a new layout or traveling to a new track. Each time I put my car down to practice it is race ready...it never goes down without the tires I would race with (gooped, etc), a good diff, ride height checked, etc. I usually treat the practice run as if it is a qual...no crashes, smooth driving, don't be a hero and try to bull through a slower car on the track, etc. 1-3 runs like this and I am as dialed as I will be for the night so I just go back to the pits and clean the cars, double check shock rebound, diff, etc.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I practice 3 heats every race day
Old 10-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (96%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
It's not that his equipment is free, it's that racing for Kyosho is his JOB. While the rest of us are janitors, IT guys or whatever during the day and racing in the off time, he's racing/practicing all the time.
Another thing a lot of people don't realize is his father in law owns a world class track not far from Jared's home. In a situation like that "he knows where the light switch is" if you know what I mean. Practice makes perfect but only if you are running with guys faster than you to learn smooth lines and such.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

this so true....when u go and practice u r trying different setups, trying different lines, etc.... that is the whole purpose of quality practicing but it dont hurt to have some ppl out there that r better or just as good to push u
Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

yeah I can easily see him practicing that much. Just think how long pros in other sports practice watch film or lift weights. He is paid to drive rc cars. I think if I were lucky enough to get paid to play I would probably be out there easily 4-5 hours a day, all the different cars tuning setups PLUS the fact that it is fun I mean hey why not?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scwrod
I practice 3 heats every race day
That sounds like most of my practice sessions lol.