Lapped Traffic?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by janus_77
It's just on what event you are on.

On a club level race you have to account for the fact that not every driver is exactly sure on their position in the race. Most don't even know there getting lapped so they will try and race you. So either you tell them your lapping them ( NICELY !!!! ), but usually its saver to just try and overtake them so they wont make irratic moves. Also a good race director will give a heads-up if there getting lapped.

On bigger events, if your good enough to have to worry about lapping people at smaller events you're going (or should be anyway) to be placed in heats and finals with other experienced racers who all know what there doing

If I get lapped myself (yes it happens ) I tell the person who is lapping me that I'm getting out of the way in what corner, that way you both know what is going to happen. Mostly you can hang on for a few laps and try to get back to fight for 5th or something. But sometimes you get overtaken by 2 or 3 guys battling for the lead, and chances are they will crash and that you will have to let them past again. You won't have to like it, but you will have to do it.

Our RD is pretty darn good and letting people know so that definitely helps but with people changing body colors every day and me personally I don't have a "color scheme" so mine always look different it does make it really hard to tell who you're racing and who you're getting in the way of. It's really nice when he yells out who is battling for what positions instead of just "leader coming up on Joe again!" It helps the newer racers such as myself and includes more than just the leader in announcing.

It's amazing what 25 miles up or down the Interstate can do because I am usually 1 or 2 in stock classes at one track and sometimes don't even make the A main at another!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Seems like a few mixed reviews and I surely didn't expect 3 pages in the first day!
Consensus is about the same though. I've lapped and been lapped depending on what track I race at so it's hard. I agree that "racing" someone who's a lap down can be annoying but why should the slower person have to run even slower on purpose? If the guy is lapping he should be able to pull ahead quickly enough to not be in the same corners as the person he just put down.
Its called common courtesy, is it right to screw someone else's or multiple pp's race because your lack of skill/setup/gear????? Not tryin to be rude but putting it bluntly. You cant pull out of a corner quick enough when u slow down for the corner and the guy you passed doesnt and rams you.....same applies when someone takes you out, your sappose to give the position back to the person you take out or vice versa, called sportsmanship.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

I pay to race.... I don't slow down, or move off my line for anybody.

IF you're good enough to lap me, you should be good enough to get around me. I certainly wouldn't tangle anybody up on purpose, and if I did and it was race leader I would actually let them go. IF they biff though, and end up behind me again they're gonna have to show how awesome they are and get around CLEANLY.

Because that's the other thing, I'm good enough to "punt" lapped traffic and I'm not that good... so again, letting people pass in a race is just ridiculous in my opinion.

I race real off road cars, and it's RARE that people just let you by. So, we bump em a few times and they usually move. Fear for your life will do that to you.

All of that being said, I've lost at least a few races due to lapped traffic. Do I get heated over it, sure, for about two minutes. It's RACING, and if you can't make a pass then you're not a very good racer. Turning fast laps with nobody on the track is easy.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Depends what car they drive

If I'm in a situation where I'm getting lapped I will let off the throttle at the end of the straight and move over a lane or so. Then say "inside" on the driver stand to whomever is lapping me.

Why? Their faster, no reason for me to hold them up. Most of the time I can follow them for a couple laps and find out what sections of the track I'm slow in. You'll be amazed how a little track courtesy will go in the pits when you need something.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wheezy
I pay to race.... I don't slow down, or move off my line for anybody.

IF you're good enough to lap me, you should be good enough to get around me. I certainly wouldn't tangle anybody up on purpose, and if I did and it was race leader I would actually let them go. IF they biff though, and end up behind me again they're gonna have to show how awesome they are and get around CLEANLY.

Because that's the other thing, I'm good enough to "punt" lapped traffic and I'm not that good... so again, letting people pass in a race is just ridiculous in my opinion.

I race real off road cars, and it's RARE that people just let you by. So, we bump em a few times and they usually move. Fear for your life will do that to you.

All of that being said, I've lost at least a few races due to lapped traffic. Do I get heated over it, sure, for about two minutes. It's RACING, and if you can't make a pass then you're not a very good racer. Turning fast laps with nobody on the track is easy.
Comparing these to real cars is stretching it a bit, you cant get away with 'bumps' to often. I'm not talking about moving over for the guy behind you, i.e. your 5th and hes 6th, im talking about someone lapping you, leaders of the pack. Screwing up their race cause your worried about a lap being maybe .5 sec slower is plain retarded. How could you get mad when it happens to you when your the one that doesnt get out of others way??? Karma's a bi^ch
Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I will let someone by in a race... And it seems like the indoor track I go to (very seldom now) the buggy guys feel you should move over for them in practice. They will try and spin you out if you don't move. Now the track is pretty small, the lanes are not meant to pass except in certain spots. But the faster guys feel they can bump you where ever and pass where ever. Then if you get tangled with them they talk shit. Last time I was there was on a practice day and a buggy kept bumping me. My Jammin weighs 7.5lbs and a buggy 2.5lbs. Guess who is going to win the tap game. Not the buggy... He tangled his front wheel under my body and I took him for a little ride, then the shit talk started.

I enjoy plowing over the track rats with my Jammin. Ooops sorry about your wing LOL.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork
I will let someone by in a race... And it seems like the indoor track I go to (very seldom now) the buggy guys feel you should move over for them in practice. They will try and spin you out if you don't move. Now the track is pretty small, the lanes are not meant to pass except in certain spots. But the faster guys feel they can bump you where ever and pass where ever. Then if you get tangled with them they talk shit. Last time I was there was on a practice day and a buggy kept bumping me. My Jammin weighs 7.5lbs and a buggy 2.5lbs. Guess who is going to win the tap game. Not the buggy... He tangled his front wheel under my body and I took him for a little ride, then the shit talk started.

I enjoy plowing over the track rats with my Jammin. Ooops sorry about your wing LOL.
I can't help but laugh at that, haha. Thats funny stuff right there
Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 AM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Well I just started Lapping guys and its funny at my track there is sometimes a heated maker's debate. I run associated e buggy and e truggy. The associated guys let be by but the slosi guys make me work hard for it and once im passed they punt me as im slowin for a corner and they go in tooo hot and use me to slow them selves down. Now it usually me and one of the losi guys upfront and off the track we are buddies, once the race starts all bets are off.

Now my buddy the losi driver has all the upgrades, new tires every other week and a tekin sensored motor. i run turggy kit and buggy old FT both with MMM and new tires every other month so i gotta outdrive him, and the other losi driver!!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BOG
Well I just started Lapping guys and its funny at my track there is sometimes a heated maker's debate. I run associated e buggy and e truggy. The associated guys let be by but the slosi guys make me work hard for it and once im passed they punt me as im slowin for a corner and they go in tooo hot and use me to slow them selves down. Now it usually me and one of the losi guys upfront and off the track we are buddies, once the race starts all bets are off.

Now my buddy the losi driver has all the upgrades, new tires every other week and a tekin sensored motor. i run turggy kit and buggy old FT both with MMM and new tires every other month so i gotta outdrive him, and the other losi driver!!
Interesting dynamic there

Personally, I could care less what someone races.. I race with a few guys locally that could beat the majority of the field with an original rc10t I think.

Here's my take.. if I'm being lapped and the opprotunity presents itself for me to predictably (key word there) move over a lane without giving up much time I'll do so, and typically only in places that it makes sense not just anywhere. If it happens to be somewhere that I can't, or I'm racing for a position at the same time I'll hold my line and let the faster guys make their way by.

When I'm lapping someone, I appreciate a couple things - people running their line, and not running me off into the next corner. I'd rather know you're going to take the normal race line into a corner than go to pass you and you dump me off trying to get out of the way.

About the only time I get annoyed is when lappers race you HARD through corners, etc.. honestly, you're getting lapped for a reason in most cases and beating me into the next corner doesn't prove anything. Sit back and try to learn something from the line the faster guys run, how they approach corners, etc.

I'd rather lose a race and know I did so running clean than have to put a fender to people.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

only one way to do it. after the two corner rule....beep beep is in effect