Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lapped Traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here's another example. I was in first place at a big race and 5 minutes (out of 10) into the a main, I started getting caught up with lap traffic, 2nd place 15 seconds behind. I spent a few laps trying to get past, we got tangled up once or twice, and after that 2nd place was right before me. I went a foot wide in a corner and he passed me with 1 lap left, I ended up placing 2nd.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
Here's another example. I was in first place at a big race and 5 minutes (out of 10) into the a main, I started getting caught up with lap traffic, 2nd place 15 seconds behind. I spent a few laps trying to get past, we got tangled up once or twice, and after that 2nd place was right before me. I went a foot wide in a corner and he passed me with 1 lap left, I ended up placing 2nd.
so second place got past the back marker without hitting each other?
i guess it just wasn't your day.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Legend

I'm sure its just me ...
But I have deep resentment towards any car putting me a lap down ...
Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kai888
wow u sound good, we need more people like u in this sport.......
it must be dark and lonely so far up.......

Way to take that part of my post out of context. I didn't mean it to come off so harsh, but I guess you see it that way. If you read the rest of my post you'd be hard pressed not to understand my frustration.

And for the record, I never said I was a great driver, but I'm not some kid with zero comprehension for how to control throttle/steering. We're not talking about lapped pros. We're talking about club racing where you have new-to-the-hobby kids in the same heats as the experienced guys. So yeah, they can't drive worth a damn, yet. I was no better when I was a n00b. Back to the lonely ride atop my high horse now...
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I think everyone is on the same page, if you're bing lapped then give up the inside line and a driver good enough to lap you should drive away. This happens to good drivers too, two crashes is enough to put you down enough to get lapped on a 14 second track and it's not uncommon for 1st place to lap 3rd or 4th place, both places worth protecting from the guy not lapping you. Sometimes they crash continually after being let by. If they can't keep it together there's no reason you should compromise your race because of it. If the guy keeps dorkin' it he's not going to be pissed at you for not pulling out of the way repeatedly.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeC
If a guy is faster he will find a way aound you. You should never stop as this will usually only cause more crashes. I would go alittle wide at some point to let them by but other than that hold your line. We are all out there racing for position and if you are always tying to get out of someone's way you are never going to finish well. It's ok to give someone room but hold your line and you will be fine. A fast, consistent racer will know how to manuver around traffic without getting bent out of shape.
+1 "you should never stop " you will only cause crashes
Old 09-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If the driver lapping is a good driver, he will take his time and find a spot to pass if need be. He is passing for a reason...he is faster and finds better lines. They will do so again. I would let them pass when time permits, but I would not go out of my way to completely blow my line
Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Not gonna post on weather you should or shouldn't move over for faster driver but if you're going to move over let them know when and where. That way they know that your moving over for them to pass and that you're not just out of control causing them to make a risky move that might cause them a race. Fast guys are fast for a reason, be nice to them and they'll be nice to you, on and off the track. It's a lot easier to get help from them off the track when you're nice to them on the track.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I always let leaders by. I practiced for months before I ever entered a race at a crowded track. Now that I am lapping people, I appreciate when people move offline to let me by as a leader
Old 09-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'll go wide and slow down....the first time.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turbowop
I hate getting caught up in lapped traffic. They're usually being lapped for a reason: they can't drive worth a damn.

Last race I was in I had just lapped a truck before going into a hairpin. So as I brake for the turn, my truck gets rear-ended by the lapped rig and punted off the lane. I got tangled up with this other rig twice. It's annoying and the announcer even made an effort to tell him to let me go since I was the second place driver at the time.

It's all in fun, and we're all racing, but if your throttle control is that horrible, please just let the more experienced drivers by.
+1, its not lonely, theres a whole bunch of us up here, just keep tryin......even better when they run into ya and u break
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turbowop

Way to take that part of my post out of context. I didn't mean it to come off so harsh, but I guess you see it that way. If you read the rest of my post you'd be hard pressed not to understand my frustration.

And for the record, I never said I was a great driver, but I'm not some kid with zero comprehension for how to control throttle/steering. We're not talking about lapped pros. We're talking about club racing where you have new-to-the-hobby kids in the same heats as the experienced guys. So yeah, they can't drive worth a damn, yet. I was no better when I was a n00b. Back to the lonely ride atop my high horse now...
if you were no better when you were a "noob" then why are you bitching about the noobs? and since you were a noob once you should know better that most of the beginners have no car control as you said and 99.99% of the time its when the new guys trying to get out of the way that causes the accidents.

I think you should be bitching to your club about having beginners mixed with intermediate classes rather than about the "noobs" with no car control screwing up your race.

maybe its the way the toliet flushes down under but at every club race i've been to the beginners were told to hold their line and don't make erratic movements to get out of the way because "pro's" like yourself shouldn't have a problem getting past.

the high horse is sure a lonely place but it certainly isn't dark, you need to look behind closer to home
Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

trying to stay in front of someone that is faster usually just ends up in a wreck. It only takes maybe half a sec off a lap to go a little wide in a corner to let them by. if you are as fast or faster then them and just had a really bad start it's a different story. I usually will even let someone by for position if I know they are faster just to avoid a wreck. Then just pray to god someone takes them out!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I am glad to see that this subject is being brought up. I can tell you that honestly I would rather have the lapper hold his line and not make him self so wide. There's a reason why ur being lapped, hahaha prob because u blow out corners or jumps, so I am willin to bet you will do it again, opening the door and lettin me by. Now if first second and third and trainin and coming through, you should pull over. Lapped traffic can be the cause of some one loosing a race. So pull over. And if u ur self is haviing a race for position other then top spot, ur announcer should call it out for u guys to go wide
Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kai888
if you were no better when you were a "noob" then why are you bitching about the noobs?
I got the hell out of the way when I was a noob. That isn't something that comes along with skill, it's common courtesy. You don't have to be an expert driver to realize when a faster guy is passing you or to know that you shouldn't rear-end them at full speed mid corner in an attempt to get their unlapped position back.

Maybe you condone this type of activity and that's why you're harping on my reply so bad? You act as though I created this thread just to bitch about noobs. All I did was add my experience to it. Y SO SRS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.