Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC10B4.1 FT/WC

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TakeoRyu
Hello everyone, I am looking to convert my FT B4.1 from ball diff to gear diff and I was wondering which parts where needed to be purchased to make this transition smooth. I am thinking just the gear diff kit and the 10x16 bearings need to be purchased but I am really not too sure.

Thanks in advance!
I have used the gear diff. All that is needed is the gear diff kit like the one for the SC10RS. I did not need new bearings, they are the same for both diffs.

When reassembling the transmission, I have seen posts saying not to tighten the transmission case to prevent binding. I had this happen and discovered the problem. The bearings holding the diff are difficult to get seated completely in the trans case. I had to assemble the trans, place the outdrive against the table, and push down hard on the trans case. Then, I flipped it over and do the same to seat the other bearing. This allowed me to tighten the cases on two SC10s and the B4.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks! Really appreciate it!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have some big bore spring questions...

First the AE Brown and AE Green are considered the best combo almost everywhere I run and the spring rates from what I see on the charts are Brown 2.8 and Green 1.9.

From what I see the closest Losi springs are orange 2.9 front and Yellow 2.0 rear or white 1.8... These are pretty close numbers and I have the springs but have not used them yet.

I just ordered the avid springs wanting to try them as well this summer but looking at the rates I see rear white is 1.89 perfect but the front options are white 2.6 and yellow 3.0... Seems like quite a difference from the AE 2.8.

Does anyone have any experience running the avid spring kit? Are they having to change pistons and oil to prevent the loss of steering when going with a 3.0 front spring? Does running a big bore spring or a spring with a different number of coils change the desired rate? Please don't shy away from a technical answer

I know progressiveness will play a roll too but I do not see that measured anywhere to compare.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gguertin145

First the AE Brown and AE Green are considered the best combo almost everywhere I run and the spring rates from what I see on the charts are Brown 2.8 and Green 1.9.

From what I see the closest Losi springs are orange 2.9 front and Yellow 2.0 rear or white 1.8... These are pretty close numbers and I have the springs but have not used them yet.

I just ordered the avid springs wanting to try them as well this summer but looking at the rates I see rear white is 1.89 perfect but the front options are white 2.6 and yellow 3.0... Seems like quite a difference from the AE 2.8.

Does anyone have any experience running the avid spring kit? Are they having to change pistons and oil to prevent the loss of steering when going with a 3.0 front spring? Does running a big bore spring or a spring with a different number of coils change the desired rate? Please don't shy away from a technical answer

I know progressiveness will play a roll too but I do not see that measured anywhere to compare.
+1
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gguertin145

By the end with the small springs, most AE team guys had switched away from brown springs to a heavier front spring which makes the car more forgiving and jumps better. In my testing, the small vs. 12mm springs work totally different, even if the rates are supposed to match. The 12mm springs will buckle less under compression, and the stress on the wire is much less because they use thicker wire. I normally recommend keeping the same shock oil setup to start but it seems that you can go a bit thicker and still keep the car planted due to the springs.

I race indoors alot and I run red/red on my B4 with a Reedy Wolfpack battery. I've heard of guys running every spring in the set depending on the track, so the best advice I can give is to start testing at the track and don't limit yourself by what you "think" a different rate will do. Just try it and you might be surprised.

Kurt
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdub
By the end with the small springs, most AE team guys had switched away from brown springs to a heavier front spring which makes the car more forgiving and jumps better. In my testing, the small vs. 12mm springs work totally different, even if the rates are supposed to match. The 12mm springs will buckle less under compression, and the stress on the wire is much less because they use thicker wire. I normally recommend keeping the same shock oil setup to start but it seems that you can go a bit thicker and still keep the car planted due to the springs.

I race indoors alot and I run red/red on my B4 with a Reedy Wolfpack battery. I've heard of guys running every spring in the set depending on the track, so the best advice I can give is to start testing at the track and don't limit yourself by what you "think" a different rate will do. Just try it and you might be surprised.

Kurt
Just got my AVID springs in the mail, love the packaging.

Muck Muck
Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Just got my AVID springs in the mail, love the packaging.

Muck Muck
You need to pick up some JConcepts 3D's tomorrow and you'll be uber DIALED!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
You need to pick up some JConcepts 3D's tomorrow and you'll be uber DIALED!
Hold me a set.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Are Velvet big bore shocks still a good upgrade investment, or would it be better to use the kit small bores and wait for AE to release their own?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Still have some screw kits available, This is a fundraiser for our Cars -4- Kids program and all proceeds go to the program.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-raiser-2.html
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Dont need to tell myself anything, works just fine.

On another note, got the body painted up tonight.

You racing in utah this weekend?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Guys, I've seen people recommend the tapered GHEA #2 pistons throughout this thread but how beneficial are they?
Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally Posted by ktchristman33
Guys, I've seen people recommend the tapered GHEA #2 pistons throughout this thread but how beneficial are they?
Thanks
I have ran them and honestly couldn't tell the difference. I am now running a stock AE #2'a all around. If I were you I would save your penny's and wait till the big bores from AE come out at the end of summer.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally Posted by carver gt
Here's mine...
+1
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I love this car. I never could get competitive with the 22, but since getting the b4.1 my lap times have been getting consistantly faster, clocked my fastest lap time to date tonight, and qualified 2nd in the a-main during club racing. The car keeps getting better and better as I get used to it.

Sorry, just had to share. Good job AE.

Last edited by zipperfoot; 04-29-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.