Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC10B4.1 FT/WC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Wildcat1971;11943847]What does your budget look like? Do you prefer a brand for the electronics?[/QUOT

to be honest im just looking for something that is smooth and reliable.
on my 1/8 buggy i have tekin rx8 and t8 motor.. would like everyones input on motor and esc!! also have a 2s fantom 50c batteries.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

well, you already have experienced tekin, so you know what to expect there. The other brands I like are Viper which is really nice with the progauge for track side tooning. Plus it is priced a little lower than Tekin and has a 1 year warranty. The hobbywing stuff is really smooth and you can save a bundle with those esc's. The 90amp racing eac with programmer would work great for mild mods and stock racing. If you run a 7.5-8.5 you might want a little more esc. Orions are HobbyWings with a different firmware. So they are the same smoothness, but have an orion label and cost more. Speed passion is ok, but some of their new stuff has had some QC issues. Cold solder joints and such. But the support their product and if they die they tend to die right away. Thus within warranty.

For motors Tekin gen2, Reedy Sonics, Shuurspeed and most of the "name" brand motors work well. I have not really messed with the HW motors or SP motors. I prefer motors with easy timing adjustment. Some motors you have to disassemble to set the timing. The reedy's and the Tekins only require you to loose 3 screws and twist. very easy.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
well, you already have experienced tekin, so you know what to expect there. The other brands I like are Viper which is really nice with the progauge for track side tooning. Plus it is priced a little lower than Tekin and has a 1 year warranty. The hobbywing stuff is really smooth and you can save a bundle with those esc's. The 90amp racing eac with programmer would work great for mild mods and stock racing. If you run a 7.5-8.5 you might want a little more esc. Orions are HobbyWings with a different firmware. So they are the same smoothness, but have an orion label and cost more. Speed passion is ok, but some of their new stuff has had some QC issues. Cold solder joints and such. But the support their product and if they die they tend to die right away. Thus within warranty.

For motors Tekin gen2, Reedy Sonics, Shuurspeed and most of the "name" brand motors work well. I have not really messed with the HW motors or SP motors. I prefer motors with easy timing adjustment. Some motors you have to disassemble to set the timing. The reedy's and the Tekins only require you to loose 3 screws and twist. very easy.

awesome, yeah i have a viper system on my SCTE and i do not like it at all.. im going to switch it to something better eventually. its just one of those things i guess. once you go sensored you dont want to go back to sensorless.

i am thinking i am going to get a hobbywing esc with probally a reedy sonic motor considering ive never had either of these products.

if i were to get a hobbywing esc and a reedy sonic motor which esc would i want and also what turn motor would i want to go with?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Tech Prophet

For the motor, it really depends on the class you are going to run. If you plan to race 17.5 then get a 17.5. If you plan to run mod, I would get a 8.5 to 10.5.

This is the 90 amp esc. They have a 120amp for a bit more.
http://www.falconsekido.com/products/xerun-90a-sd-bk
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey fellas, can you give me the good and bad on running a gear diff instead of a ball diff? i bought a decked out b4.1 wc basicly a b4.2, and it has a gear diff installed, also has the ball diff with it. I am wanting to run a 17.5 blinky on an outdoor medium to slightly high grip track.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Ok, but why do you want a gear diff? Most people that want the gear for an easier life. Pretty much everyone else wants the ball diff for tuneability.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

i revised what i wrote.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Prophet

well here is the short of it. for the ball diff you have fine adjustment with an allen wrench. But you have increased maintenance. With the gear diff, you have less maintenance but in order to change the feel, you need to tear it apart and change the fluids. Plus, your tuning is limited to available oils. Plus, you might have to deal with a leaking diff, which can be a mess. Some people "feel" that the gear diff is smoother and nicer. My guess, there is a reason that all of the pros use the ball diff and not the gear. Performance. If you dont like to build/rebuild a ball diff and performance is not a top priority, use the gear diff. But since you have both....try them both and decide.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

For the motor, it really depends on the class you are going to run. If you plan to race 17.5 then get a 17.5. If you plan to run mod, I would get a 8.5 to 10.5.

This is the 90 amp esc. They have a 120amp for a bit more.
http://www.falconsekido.com/products/xerun-90a-sd-bk
lol well see i dont know which is going to be the best to run in this buggy.. ill get her figured out though! would the 90 amp be ok for the 8.5 turn?

Also i see alot of guys running the tekin redline 17.5 for that class.. would it be best to run this class or justgo mod class?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

well here is the short of it. for the ball diff you have fine adjustment with an allen wrench. But you have increased maintenance. With the gear diff, you have less maintenance but in order to change the feel, you need to tear it apart and change the fluids. Plus, your tuning is limited to available oils. Plus, you might have to deal with a leaking diff, which can be a mess. Some people "feel" that the gear diff is smoother and nicer. My guess, there is a reason that all of the pros use the ball diff and not the gear. Performance. If you dont like to build/rebuild a ball diff and performance is not a top priority, use the gear diff. But since you have both....try them both and decide.
cool, thanks for responding. i have a b4.2 with ball diff i run mod with, i picked this car up to run stk, and it has the gear duiff in it, just might run it and see how it feels, i guess.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by BlantonBx8
lol well see i dont know which is going to be the best to run in this buggy.. ill get her figured out though! would the 90 amp be ok for the 8.5 turn?

Also i see alot of guys running the tekin redline 17.5 for that class.. would it be best to run this class or justgo mod class?
I would never suggest anyone "jump" into mod. And 8.5 is that esc's limit. I would personally get a 10.5 and boost it to your needs. Mod is more of an advanced driver class. New people with just break their cars and tear up tires. And as far as 17.5, all of the motors I listed are good in 17.5. There is nothing wrong with the tekin Gen 2's they are running, but stay away from the redline gen 1's. They only have 12 deg of timing. They were designed for boosting, not blinky.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

I would never suggest anyone "jump" into mod. And 8.5 is that esc's limit. I would personally get a 10.5 and boost it to your needs. Mod is more of an advanced driver class. New people with just break their cars and tear up tires. And as far as 17.5, all of the motors I listed are good in 17.5. There is nothing wrong with the tekin Gen 2's they are running, but stay away from the redline gen 1's. They only have 12 deg of timing. They were designed for boosting, not blinky.
ok, great thanks for all the info! i believe that i am going to go with a reedy sonic 10.5t and the 90 amp hobbywing esc. in all honesty i am just trying to be a better racer and have more skill on the track.

this was my whole reasoning in ordering a 2wd buggy." i used to think 2wd anything was not for me but after doing some research and talking to a few guys sounds like this buggy right here is the best way to start off on being a better driver!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by BlantonBx8
ok, great thanks for all the info! i believe that i am going to go with a reedy sonic 10.5t and the 90 amp hobbywing esc. in all honesty i am just trying to be a better racer and have more skill on the track.

this was my whole reasoning in ordering a 2wd buggy." i used to think 2wd anything was not for me but after doing some research and talking to a few guys sounds like this buggy right here is the best way to start off on being a better driver!

In general, most people are afraid of 2wd buggy. It is easier and harder all at once. In 4x4, you can mess up and just punch it to recover. With 8th scale and SC you can mess up jumps and still come out ok. Those larger cars are just more forgiving. IMO you learn a lot of bad habits in SC and 8th scale. That is why I told my 8 year old, no more SC, you will be running buggy from now on. Before, if you would turn in too soon, she would just jump the pipe and continue on. And if you came up short on a jump, she would just smack into it with the SC, bounce off and keep going. Well the buggies tires are too small to jump pipes and if you smack into a jump when coming up short, you will need a turn marshal. Also, with SC, if you flip over, they will often turtle and roll over onto the wheels. And a buggy will almost always stay upside down. At first she was slower with the buggy, but then stopped trying to jump pipes and started to punch it more and clear the jumps. Now she over jump like crazy, but we are working on down siding.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

In general, most people are afraid of 2wd buggy. It is easier and harder all at once. In 4x4, you can mess up and just punch it to recover. With 8th scale and SC you can mess up jumps and still come out ok. Those larger cars are just more forgiving. IMO you learn a lot of bad habits in SC and 8th scale. That is why I told my 8 year old, no more SC, you will be running buggy from now on. Before, if you would turn in too soon, she would just jump the pipe and continue on. And if you came up short on a jump, she would just smack into it with the SC, bounce off and keep going. Well the buggies tires are too small to jump pipes and if you smack into a jump when coming up short, you will need a turn marshal. Also, with SC, if you flip over, they will often turtle and roll over onto the wheels. And a buggy will almost always stay upside down. At first she was slower with the buggy, but then stopped trying to jump pipes and started to punch it more and clear the jumps. Now she over jump like crazy, but we are working on down siding.
right, that same story is what i was doing while running my 1/8 scale last weekend at our local track. just trying to go too fast and not be consistant or take the track into consideration. i need to be more precise and focus more on all aspects of the track. im super excited to start racing 2wd buggy now. local guys said after 3 weeks of running a 2wd buggy you will already see improvements.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys quick question, just got a ftb4.1 wc and it has a j concepts steering bellcrank already installed, have not put servo in yet but when I turn the front wheel left to right it feels like the steering is binding up in the straight ahead position, any suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.