Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is this the only C brace you can get?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-C-Tower-Set-2
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
Lowering the whole link lowers the roll center.
It actually raises the roll center because the IC moves closer to the center-line of the car and thus the line from the tire contact patch is steeper meaning the lines from the tires will intersect higher up from the ground....thus raising the roll center.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Well need oppinon.

Should I get BB from rear only/front only, or get Traid Slipper?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bring it on
Is this the only C brace you can get?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-C-Tower-Set-2
Jconcepts sells a set of carbon towers that includes all the a,b,and c towers too, plus avid has a tower that has the regular holes and then the c-holes right below them.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OptimumRC
It actually raises the roll center because the IC moves closer to the center-line of the car and thus the line from the tire contact patch is steeper meaning the lines from the tires will intersect higher up from the ground....thus raising the roll center.
The IC is at infinity, they never intersect.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
Lowering the whole link lowers the roll center.
And thus, my confusion continues. Lol.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
You're not the only one. If i'm wrong then my car must have some special forces going on. Thats like saying if i raise my inner ball stud im actually raising roll center. From what i have learned and experienced lowering the whole link equally inside and outside lowers the roll center and raising the outside ball stud alone raises the the roll center and raising the inside ball stud alone lowers the roll center. Am i wrong????
Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eli
Unless the camber link and lower arm are parallel then the IC goes to infinity and then the RC is on the ground surface.

I have explained how you can determine your roll center, so if you look at the image I posted earlier or google some other imagines that help illustrate this then you will be able to see for yourself that the C hub does raise the roll center.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eli
You're not the only one. If i'm wrong then my car must have some special forces going on. Thats like saying if i raise my inner ball stud im actually raising roll center. From what i have learned and experienced lowering the whole link equally inside and outside lowers the roll center and raising the outside ball stud alone raises the the roll center and raising the inside ball stud alone lowers the roll center. Am i wrong????
Raising the inner ball stud lower the roll center and as you said raising the outside raises the ball stud does raise the roll center. However, lowering the whole link equally does RAISE the roll center.

I cannot stress how just drawing something up on a piece of paper will help make this easier to visualize and understand. Regardless if you draw it perfectly to scale, just approximating the lengths and angles is enough to see the relative comparisons.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Raising the inner ball stud lower the roll center and as you said raising the outside raises the ball stud does raise the roll center. However, lowering the whole link equally does RAISE the roll center.

I cannot stress how just drawing something up on a piece of paper will help make this easier to visualize and understand. Regardless if you draw it perfectly to scale, just approximating the lengths and angles is enough to see the relative comparisons.
Ok well the illustration that you posted is for a SLA type suspension aka short long arm and our cars dont have that type of suspension.
I drew it out in my head, the very bottom picture, if you lower that whole upper arm it will lower the roll center by having the line intersect sooner from the lower arm center line thus lowering the roll center.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
Originally Posted by Eli
Unless the camber link and lower arm are parallel then the IC goes to infinity and then the RC is on the ground surface.

I have explained how you can determine your roll center, so if you look at the image I posted earlier or google some other imagines that help illustrate this then you will be able to see for yourself that the C hub does raise the roll center.

Originally Posted by Eli
Ok well the illustration that you posted is for a SLA type suspension aka short long arm and our cars dont have that type of suspension.
I drew it out in my head, the very bottom picture, if you lower that whole upper arm it will lower the roll center by having the line intersect sooner from the lower arm center line thus lowering the roll center.
No, that is incorrect. The roll center is determined by extending an imaginary line from the upper camber link and the lower control arm (if you draw a line through the hinge pins) until the two intersect. This is called your instant center (IC) and is the imaginary point in which the wheel, camber link and arm rotate about. Then drawing a line from the center of the tires contact patch to the instant center, and doing this for both sides of the car and the point in which the these two lines intersect is your roll center.

When you lower the upper camber link it is essentially like drawing another parallel line under the original location and as a result the IC changes since the lines intersect sooner and thus the line from the tires contact patch is even steeper and therefore actually raises the RC slightly.

One thing to keep in mind is that this only determines the 'static' roll center, but when the chassis rolls through a turn the roll center migrates around and how much it moves is influenced by the suspension geometry.

Heres an image that I just googled that should hopefully help illustrate what I said:

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...5623696829.jpg
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro0619
Getting back into 2wd after running 1/8e all summer. Just bought a b4wc kit and gonna start out w chad dues setup as thats what most local guys ate running here indoors. Seems shorty packs are the norm too. Do i wanna mount my esc behind the shorty pack or just on the lt side like normal? Hope to have it all ready to go for next weekend.
He has ½°rear camber listed and could not be worse lol. Car was so loose it wasn't drivable at all. Went to 1° or a lil more and I can slam it hard into a corner and its stuck.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

According to the Hudy Off Road Book, using the lower holes on the shock tower gives you a higher roll center and vice versa.....
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...itOz-YSkLml4iw
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 3srcracing
Well need oppinon.

Should I get BB from rear only/front only, or get Traid Slipper?
If you buy Big bores, then you would want the front and rears at the same time. If anything get the triad first, Then BB's next.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Eli
Tech Master

According to the Hudy Off Road Book, using the lower holes on the shock tower gives you a higher roll center and vice versa.....
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...itOz-YSkLml4iw
OptimumRC and I are at an agreement on that lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.