I want to change my lipos quick :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to change my lipos quick :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Default I want to change my lipos quick :)

Hello,

I have great run times, my car is great (808), everything is great... except the time I need to change my lipos when I race.

For now I use 8ight-e battery tray with 3 straps on my converted 808. Do you have any other suggestion so that I can remove and replace my lipos the fastest way? And where to put these ***** wires?

Thanks a lot
Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Hello,

I have great run times, my car is great (808), everything is great... except the time I need to change my lipos when I race.

For now I use 8ight-e battery tray with 3 straps on my converted 808. Do you have any other suggestion so that I can remove and replace my lipos the fastest way? And where to put these ***** wires?

Thanks a lot
If you are really good at custom making parts, you could somehow shorten the wires on the battery pack and epoxy some bullet plugs to it and epoxy the esc wires to the bottom of the battery tray. As for the straps, you could try using very strong Velcro on the bottom of the battery and the battery tray to hold it down. This would result in very fast battery changes, but would take a little creativity to do.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just thinking out loud here but is there anyway to remove the entire battery tray? That way you could replace the tray with a battery already velcroed in place and just connect the battery to the esc. I am not sure how one would go about doing this, I have a Ve8, my battery tray is my chassis. If you could attach body posts to the chassis and use body clips to hold the battery tray down you would just have to remove two or three clips then drop the new tray in.

Another alternative would be to get two of the same buggy with cloned transponders and just throw a new buggy out and have your pit guy replace the battery and then throw that one out when you pit again. I am sure this is very illegal but it would be funny as hell to try. The nitro guys would be so pissed.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can line the tray with foam. I have to push my batts down and they are tight. Then you just need one strap. You could also use velcro on your mud guards to hold the body on.
My girl can do a bat swap in 15 or less

My 808e

Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I'm not sure how practical this idea would be for you..but I think its one of the best ways to do a quick-release... Here is the battery tray I made for my custom Traxxas Buggy.. In the front there is a thumb screw with a screw screwed into it to make a "pin". all you have to do is twist the thumb screw and pull the pin out and then then the strap is on a hinge on the other side..

Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought about making the woule battery tray removable with a really strong magnet or velcro. then i was going to figure a way to mount the battery connectors where you dont really have to mess with it. just when you slide the battery try in you are plugging it in at the same time.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default team associated rc8e straps

I would put some foam like scrwrod said and use one strap,I would use the ae straps because they have a holder on the strap to grip the battery like this.in the pic you will the end of the strap has and elbow that captures the edge of the battery for more security.http://rcspecial.com/news/wp-content...91.jpg:sneaky:
Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I've been waiting for a two part battery tray that part a is mounted to the vehicle and part b (you can have a few) are a thin tray w/ velcro staps to hold in a battery that also has a 'catch'. The idea is part b (battery tray) would have a metal clip (or two) that slides in and locks into place on the part 'a' that is mounted on the buggy/truggy so all you do to release is push down on a lever that is on the bottom holder, and then slide your batt tray off and slide the new one on. Your choice of battery connectors.

Anyone want to fab it up? I can make a drawing if necessary
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Quick release, quick change battery tray. two parts. battery plugs into tray.

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
I've been waiting for a two part battery tray that part a is mounted to the vehicle and part b (you can have a few) are a thin tray w/ velcro staps to hold in a battery that also has a 'catch'. The idea is part b (battery tray) would have a metal clip (or two) that slides in and locks into place on the part 'a' that is mounted on the buggy/truggy so all you do to release is push down on a lever that is on the bottom holder, and then slide your batt tray off and slide the new one on. Your choice of battery connectors.

Anyone want to fab it up? I can make a drawing if necessary

You should make the drawings up and talk to Monster Mike over at RC Monster Forums, he's the owner of that forum and makes all his own parts. he said anything we draw, he will make.

I like the idea of a two part battery tray, that you plug your battery into and that part stays with the battery, the other part stays with the RC car and plugs into the ESC. this way you just drop your battery into the RC and the battery conncetion is made when the two parts come together. I've heard so many people talking about this idea for so long, and yet knowone has manufactured it. Make up the drawings and talk to monster mike, he can make anything, he has the lathe and all the tools. You'll have to pay him for his time, but you can sell these quick change battery trays and get your money back. if you don't do it, everyones just going to keep talking about it, and wanting one, and who knows when one will ever get made, if ever. I really don't know what 1/8th scale manufactures, design developers are doing, if they read the forums they would see the damand for a quick release 1/8th scale battery tray system. I think we just need to do it ourselves. I think this thread is awesome and I hope people will continue to contribute their awesome and very insightful creative ideas. But then it's up to us to have these parts made by someone who has the proper tools to make such parts. Monster Mikes forum and web site says he will make any project you can dream up. this would be a great project for him I would email him if I were you. I've already emailed him and he's asking for drawings. get those drawings made and post them up here and or send them to Monster Mike(Forums).
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Tech Champion

Awesome ideas here .

I opened a "fastest lipo change contest" if you want to participate

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think this is the link you wanted

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...test-open.html