Wiki Posts
Search

Loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Loose steering

I just took out my rustler vxl the other day after a month of not using it. I noticed right away that it would pull to the sides. Even after adjusting the steering trim it would go fine for a few seconds and then pull to the sides. On tar. What can be causing this? It's also getting alot of interference that it never had before. I was in middle of a field hundreds of feet from the nearest electrical source and it would randomly just start reversing or going full throttle what would cause this?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by forest_parker
I just took out my rustler vxl the other day after a month of not using it. I noticed right away that it would pull to the sides. Even after adjusting the steering trim it would go fine for a few seconds and then pull to the sides. On tar. What can be causing this? It's also getting alot of interference that it never had before. I was in middle of a field hundreds of feet from the nearest electrical source and it would randomly just start reversing or going full throttle what would cause this?
Off the top of my head some things to check:

- Batteries in your radio. You don't say if this is AM/FM or 2.4. It's possible that your bind to the receiver (2.4) is fading in and out from weak batteries and is causing the steering to wander as it loses and reacquires signal and bind. You mention electrical interference so I assume you're running AM/FM. Again, weak radio batteries can limit your range and cause interference-like symptoms.

- Re-bind the receiver if 2.4 radio

- Check your steering servo arm for solid fitment and if you have any stripped teeth on the arm. You could be skipping teeth.

- Check your steering and suspension for binding. Unhook the servo and move your wheels around. If there's a rough spot or something binding up it could be preventing your servo from getting back to center.

- Check your antennas. If you have a fray or nick in the antenna on the receiver it can change the working frequency (AM/FM) or severely limit your range (AM/FM/DSM).

- If all of the above doesn't locate or fix the problem try swapping out your crystals or switching to a different receiver and/or radio. If that doesn't address the problem try using a different ESC.

Basically it's just a process of elimination. If I missed some checks or explained something incorrectly I'm sure someone will pop in and correct me
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

actually i found it, i must of flipped and scrapped the antenna pretty bad because four inches from the end of the antenna the wires are split and the only thing holding the antenna from falling off is a little bit of insulation. Where do i buy a new antenna? or do i have to buy a new reciever?