Wiki Posts
Search

VE8 vs LOSI 8 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default VE8 vs LOSI 8 2.0

Ok how can i start this i run a VE8 and its good but at my track there is only
VE8'S or RC8'S but i would like to know from some people who have drivin losi's and VE8's both or have raced one or another how do things pan out in your eyes to equal drivers driving those cars. WHICH IS BETTER?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by BOSSALINY
VE8'S or RC8'S but i would like to know from some people who have drivin losi's and VE8's both or have raced one or another how do things pan out in your eyes to equal drivers driving those cars. WHICH IS BETTER?
I cant give a lot of input on whichis better cause im into 1/8 nitro. I run the hb d8 and ive ran the losi and i like the hot bodies better. There isnt really a best all around car. Its teh car the fits your driving style and what you like best.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude236
I cant give a lot of input on whichis better cause im into 1/8 nitro. I run the hb d8 and ive ran the losi and i like the hot bodies better. There isnt really a best all around car. Its teh car the fits your driving style and what you like best.
Though that is true about the driving styles, another factor to take into consideration is price. The Hot Bodies Ve8:https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=HOT67535 The Losi 8ight-E 2.0:https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=LOSA0806 Talk about competitve pricing.

In my opinion, HB wins in both departments.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

IMO, the Losi car is the better deal. Although the HB car has a lower price, they that does not mean you are getting a better deal. For example, Kia's are cheaper than Toyota's, but that doesn't mean they are a better deal...

The Losi 8ight platform has proven very capable winning 3-Roar Nationals in a row!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Throw another twist the losi 8ight b 2.0 tekno conversion is better than all..

Go on ebay buy the parts you need for an 8b 2.0 and drop them on a tekno 8b conversion.. then buy only what you want.

Straight up it's really a tough choice btw the ve8 and 8b 2.0.. even just looking at costs. The 8ight is a tank compared to the ve8, not that the ve8 is super weak but keep in mind you absolutely must upgrade to the alum skids at the very least so add that into your base cost and iMO it's still not as durable even w/ those. The 8ight-e 2.0 kit comes with esc and motor (not sure if that’s a plus though as I'm not a losi electronics fan) but it also gives you a LOT more battery options due to the battery tray size. The Losi parts are available at far more LHS's as well around the US. HB ve8 is very competitive but I have beat several of them w/ my 8ight-e 1.0 w/o any issues at all. But I will admit I have never raced one myself on a clock to see if it brought my personal lap times down or not. With any luck my new tekno 8b 1.5 conversion will drop my lap times even further and really should be better than both.. lower cog, better battery options, more durable, running w/ a clutch and mechanical brakes as well.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 07-07-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat
IMO, the Losi car is the better deal. Although the HB car has a lower price, they that does not mean you are getting a better deal. For example, Kia's are cheaper than Toyota's, but that doesn't mean they are a better deal...

The Losi 8ight platform has proven very capable winning 3-Roar Nationals in a row!
Frank - you're a Losi PM - can you help me understand why I can't buy a Losi 8ight-e without the Losi esc/motor? I don't want to pay for electronics that I'm *definitely* not going to use. Heck, I'd rather pay $750 for a hopped-up "premium" version of the 8ight-e. Bundling those electronics seems shady to me and it's preventing me from pulling the trigger on my 1/8 buggy order. AE's RC8Be doesn't seem to have as good a reputation as the 8ight but they're selling a better bundle with their FT kit at $400. I'd gladly pay a premium for a "CR" version (or whatever Losi wants to call it) of the 8ight-e.

I don't understand why Losi doesn't employ a "premium" model. It is textbook. It almost always raises your ASP. Bundling accessories that nobody wants does not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the argument that "most RC customers never make it to a race track" doesn't really apply to a 1/8 electric buggy, does it? This isn't Traxxas territory that we're talking about. And even if it is, why not market the race roller and a premium kit?

Sorry, but this is really holding back my purchase. It bugs me...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ive had both.

The Losi- electronics were actually good. The car drove good but not nearly as good as my nitro one even after months of setup work. No upgrades needed.

The Ve8- stock cvd's wear quickly, I upgraded to WCE drive shafts. The skid plates need to be upgraded to the aluminum ones. In very cold weather my front knuckles broke so if you run in the cold you might want to upgrade. After those upgrades my car was bullet proof.

The Ve8 has been the best driving buggy from all the ones ive had (Losi, Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, Jammin). The car is really easy to drive. Stable with lots of steering but not loose.

After upgrades the Ve8 might be more expensive than the losi but it drives MUCH better. I know some people are going to disagree with me but this is my experience after running each for over 6 months. Most people who know the Ve8 have not owned or driven one.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Rookie

The Losi 8ight is better right off the get go, but if you are willing to dump a bunch of money into the Ve8 it can be just as good if not better, you just need to have a thick wallet.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat

Take it from team Horizon Hobby, I think he was wanting responses from actual people who've run both buggys. BTW 2009, 2010 ROAR Nats? Stop using that as a selling point.

The Losi doesn't fit my driving style, I can never drive them as fast as a HB or AE buggy. But for others its the other way around. The HB buggys are no KIA of the r/c world, and the price point isn't the only great thing about it. The Ve8 only requires the Aluminum Skids and the Aluminum Servo horn($40 total).
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Another A vs B thread. And another case where everyone pushes their own brand whether they're sponsored or just a fanboy. Then it turns into an argument.

In club racing, it's NEVER a case of one brand being better. It's a case of one DRIVER being better than another.

We've got guys running the same brand and invariably one of them switches brands because "it doesn't turn well" whereas the other guy says his "is a scalpel" or something or other. Unless you drive one yourself, you're not gonna know which is "better" because "better" is 99% subjective.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_B
Another A vs B thread. And another case where everyone pushes their own brand whether they're sponsored or just a fanboy. Then it turns into an argument.

In club racing, it's NEVER a case of one brand being better. It's a case of one DRIVER being better than another.

We've got guys running the same brand and invariably one of them switches brands because "it doesn't turn well" whereas the other guy says his "is a scalpel" or something or other. Unless you drive one yourself, you're not gonna know which is "better" because "better" is 99% subjective.
Oh sure bring RATIONAL thought into this
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOSSALINY
I currently have both. I've raced/practiced on both indoor and outdoor tracks. They are both awesome buggies. The 8ight is a tank and nearly indestructible. It's a very high quality vehicle. The Ve8 is not as durable, but still of decent quality. Right out of the box the Ve8 handles much better than the Losi. I can navigate corners better and it is very stable across most sections of a track. The advantage of the Ve8 is that it was designed as an electric buggy. The 8ight was designed as a gas buggy.
Since I like both of them so much, I can't bring myself to sell either one. I keep the 8ight to run outdoors and the Ve8 to run indoors.