Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really Expensive Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just purchased a Team Orion Vortex VDS-1007. Has anyone used these or had experience with them?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
A high dollar servo wont make you faster. If your not used to a faster
servo dont buy it. I run servo's that have .15-.17 speed. they
work just fine for my needs. If I went to a faster servo Id have to learn
how to drive all over again because it will not drive the same.
I say if you like the $35 servo stick with it. I cant seem to spend
over $100 on a servo. But I know people that run $200 servo's in thier cars.
One thing is as long as the servo is digital your covered on steering in 1/10th.
Brushless servo's are used in high torque applications like truggies
and 1/8th.

Another thing I dont understand is why have a titanium geared servo??
I think it's pointless myself...
That's either for a really bad driver, or someone that has had bad luck
outa a regular metal geared servo. I have never stripped gears in
a metal geared servo and my servo's are a few years old....
Preach!

I'm with you.

They use "titanium", because it makes for good marketing.
Sure, racers use $200 servo's, because they don't have to pay that much for them cause companies want racers to use their products to advertise them.
I'm sure a $200 servo doesn't suck, but the real question is; is it 4 times better than a $50 servo?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TTech
Preach!

I'm with you.

Sure, racers use $200 servo's, because they don't have to pay that much for them cause companies want racers to use their products to advertise them.
I'm sure a $200 servo doesn't suck, but the real question is; is it 4 times better than a $50 servo?
The answer is NO, it is not 4 times better. But I have NEVER seen a $100+ servo strip, break, etc so yes spending 2-4x the amount for the "piece of mind" is worth it IMO

(knock on wood)
Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one8updragracer
LOL if you hold onto the front tires and turn the wheel on the remote does the back of the truck swing around?
My Savox can do that to my Vector. Extremely strong 1268MG servo, doesnt have that annoying buzzing noise either. Money well spent
Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Preach!

I'm with you.

Titanium is a lighter metal and can be 'replaced' if ever.When your skills develop through practice, you can sense the advantage of using faster servos. I'd have to disagree with using 'titanium' as a marketing gimick. Titanium aftermarket parts either in full scale or minature scale almost always is an advantage in most applications.
I dont buy my RC equipment just because it has a 'turbo' sticker or it comes with the most colorful box. Thats like saying sticking a 'GTR' sticker on your full sized car will give you an extra 50HP.

Dont get me wrong, I do have $30 analog servos that perform very well within low stress, normal driving+bashing sessions at the beach or in the rivers and they are easy to waterproof. I wont get a sleepless night if one gets damaged.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
My Savox can do that to my Vector. Extremely strong 1268MG servo, doesnt have that annoying buzzing noise either. Money well spent
I see a lot of the Euro guys are running Savox servos. Do we have a distributor/support network in the U.S.?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mike881
The answer is NO, it is not 4 times better. But I have NEVER seen a $100+ servo strip, break, etc so yes spending 2-4x the amount for the "piece of mind" is worth it IMO

(knock on wood)
Hmmm....

So, basically, for you, it's worth spending 4x the amount just for "peace of mind", because you say that the actual $200 servo itself is not 4x better.
Then, it's a psychological thing for you, it seems.

For me, I am at peace and rest easier knowing I have good products AND extra money in me pocket.

Last edited by TTech; 07-07-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
Titanium is a lighter metal and can be 'replaced' if ever.When your skills develop through practice, you can sense the advantage of using faster servos. I'd have to disagree with using 'titanium' as a marketing gimick. Titanium aftermarket parts either in full scale or minature scale almost always is an advantage in most applications.
I dont buy my RC equipment just because it has a 'turbo' sticker or it comes with the most colorful box. Thats like saying sticking a 'GTR' sticker on your full sized car will give you an extra 50HP.

Dont get me wrong, I do have $30 analog servos that perform very well within low stress, normal driving+bashing sessions at the beach or in the rivers and they are easy to waterproof. I wont get a sleepless night if one gets damaged.
We're talking about servo's and their parts, materials, and cost.
I'm not buying the weight argument in a servo. In the first place the gears in a servo are very small, so much so that weight is hardly a consideration.

I don't disagree on the speed of the servo advantage, even though you imply my skills may not be up to yours . However, you don't know that, so you're just guessing.

The use of titanium outside the world of RC, or in RC areas other than in a servo, hasn't been part of this discussion. I'm well aware of the use of titanium in products where it has been beneficial. But, this discussion is about servo's.

Marketing/advertising goes on in every product sold. It has to be that way, nothing really wrong with it. If the use of titanium gears is truly an innovation and game changer, then I would seek those servo's out.
You feel that the use of titanium in servo's is not just marketing.
That's cool. You're certainly entitled to your view, and you might be right.
I'm just stating what I think about it. To me, the use of titanium addresses a question that no one asked.

What is there about standard metal gear servo's, that titanium addresses?
Is there really a need for titanium gears in servo's?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Hmmm....

So, basically, for you, it's worth spending 4x the amount just for "peace of mind", because you say that the actual $200 servo itself is not 4x better.
Then, it's a psychological thing for you, it seems.

For me, I am at peace and rest easier knowing I have good products AND extra money in me pocket.
Yes I will agree with you, it is a mental thing. I buy extra a arms and hub carriers for all of my cars, again for "piece of mind" since my shops do not carry them for my 1/8 vehicles.

Buying a faster servo has helped my lap times tremendously, and I do not break as many parts as I used to because I drive better. I did not spend $200 and I do not recommend $200 servos. I recommend a $99 Hitec 7955.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Been a Futaba user all my life, I just find that there are lotsa choices of servos out there to suit the applications. IMHO, the weight advantage of titanium gears in these servos will be very minimal, so if it gives me a 'psychological' advantage that I'm using the best, lightest parts...then so be it.

At my LHS we have Sanwa/Airtronics, Hitec, Futaba, KO servos that suit all kinds of budgets and all kinds of applications. I've swapped out the 'standard' racing servos in my 1/8 cars for the new batch of Savox servos and I am glad to say that it was a good investment. I went back to check on the Savox website to see what they say about using titanium as a material in their servos gears. I can see where they are standing, and I wont risk my races being ruined because of servo failure.

The issue of standard alloy/steel gears VS titanium gears is very intriguing for me. Hope there are brilliant minds to bring up some points in the pros/cons of them used in servos
Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
I see a lot of the Euro guys are running Savox servos. Do we have a distributor/support network in the U.S.?
The servos comes with all mounting hardware including rubber grommets and the usual stuff. I was pleasantly suprised to see a decal sheet and the servo's box can double as a small parts container that snaps shut
Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
If it works for you thats great, its cool there are a lot of affordable components that work quite well these days.

But in my experience steering while sitting is not the issue, but rather while hard in the corner under a lot of side load is one area where I have noticed the difference. That and just raw speed, the ability to react to slides and such.

May I ask which servo it is?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html
Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
I just purchased a Team Orion Vortex VDS-1007. Has anyone used these or had experience with them?
My Son has used a 1007 in a 1/10 buggy for about 6 months. Seems fine so far with good speed. The servo feedback circuit is tuned a little hotter than I would prefer, it seems a little jittery on the bench, not as smooth as our other servos. But on track it seems to work well and has stayed slop free. To be fair one of our local worlds qualifier drivers thinks it’s a little low on torque, didn’t think it was always holding in the corners, he uses the 1409 instead.

Originally Posted by Redneck13x
Thanks. The description is rather interesting, but I don’t know how you beat that price.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
Yes I will agree with you, it is a mental thing. I buy extra a arms and hub carriers for all of my cars, again for "piece of mind" since my shops do not carry them for my 1/8 vehicles.

Buying a faster servo has helped my lap times tremendously, and I do not break as many parts as I used to because I drive better. I did not spend $200 and I do not recommend $200 servos. I recommend a $99 Hitec 7955.
Like others are saying, how much of these specs are just marketing? I bet every manufacture has a different method of measuring those transit speeds to make one look better than the other. How many people on here actually have the tools to maybe even test or validate those specs/claims? The fishing line industry had the same problem with lbs/test strength claims also. I have hitec's also, mainly 7955's and I have had my share of problems with them even with the end points set correctly. I also have a few of the JR9100s, and I have not had issues yet with those. I think the other reason some people stick to hi-tec is their warranty is pretty good.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Actually I would be one of the guys with access to the tools to do the testing, just never found/made the time.

On a more practical level, if one is involved in racing and makes a few friends it’s not that hard to get a chance to see and try similar or the same cars with different servos. Yes setup differences and such can blur the comparisons some, but one can still develop a feel for their individual needs/tolerances I think.

I agree the specs do vary some from brand to brand, but I haven’t seen wildly misleading differences.

Everyone needs to make their own decisions, but for us there is no question that fast servos improve our performance. My Son because he can take advantage of it, me because I need all the help I can get!

I see the servo as very important, I think there is a very good reason why they plug into channel #1.

For what it’s worth, my fav 1/10 scale servo is the Futaba BLS451. Good speed, maybe even a little better than the rating, plenty of torque, and very smooth, not jittery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.