Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really Expensive Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

For the 10th scale SCT's we've been using Align DS610's for months with zero issues. They are titanium geared, coreless, digital, .08/166 and have a street price around $60. There's no finer servo in that price range. They're also Futaba splined so they drop into most vehicles without needing to change the servo horn.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ambo
Get the Hitec 7950 servos. They can run on 4.8V, 6.0 V, and 7.4V with monster torque and high speed. The only thing I don't like about these servos is the bolt they use for the servo horns, why don't they use standard 3mm bolts? Arrrggghhh!!!
Tell ya what, I bought the 7950 and I am running it on a 2S Lipo and that servo is one of the better investments I have made. I had never run nitro, or 1/8th offroad, so given the serious amount of abuse I but it thru (I hit most everything twice the first few races out after taking 5 years off) and it just took it. A 486 oz servo w/ .13 sec in a truggy is much "faster" than the 200 oz .08-.1 servo with the load.

I can hold the truck in the air by one front wheel, turn the radio and the truck will go to full lock (till the servo saver gives) lol
Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Would you recommend this in a 1/8 e buggy or an ACE DS1313?

Originally Posted by cbr74
For the 10th scale SCT's we've been using Align DS610's for months with zero issues. They are titanium geared, coreless, digital, .08/166 and have a street price around $60. There's no finer servo in that price range. They're also Futaba splined so they drop into most vehicles without needing to change the servo horn.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrushlessKyle
I was curious why people spend $100+ for steering servos. I bought a $35 Futaba servo several years ago and it is still kicking.
A high dollar servo wont make you faster. If your not used to a faster
servo dont buy it. I run servo's that have .15-.17 speed. they
work just fine for my needs. If I went to a faster servo Id have to learn
how to drive all over again because it will not drive the same.
I say if you like the $35 servo stick with it. I cant seem to spend
over $100 on a servo. But I know people that run $200 servo's in thier cars.
One thing is as long as the servo is digital your covered on steering in 1/10th.
Brushless servo's are used in high torque applications like truggies
and 1/8th.

Another thing I dont understand is why have a titanium geared servo??
I think it's pointless myself...
That's either for a really bad driver, or someone that has had bad luck
outa a regular metal geared servo. I have never stripped gears in
a metal geared servo and my servo's are a few years old....

Last edited by ???E-Racer; 07-06-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cbr74

I might need to look into one of those. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Best brake/throttle servo period is the Hitec 965mg 144oz and .10 speed for 70 or less! Being analog and having the same if not faster response than a digital you don't have to worry about it burning up w/ end point issues... you just can't go wrong w/ it.

Best 1/8 buggy or 1/10 steering servo expecially for the price is the hitec hs-985mg this bad boy is 172oz with a .13 response and also can be had for 70 or less. These last YEARS w/o issues even in race environments.

My favorite Truggy servo is still the JR DS8711, 403oz torque and .15 response, she is a beast for $130 or less. There are some other newer HV servo's etc but for my e-truggy and e-buggy these are outstanding.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
That's either for a really bad driver, or someone that has had bad luck
outa a regular metal geared servo. I have never stripped gears in
a metal geared servo and my servo's are a few years old....
I have never stripped a gear with my titanium servo either
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by abp667
Would you recommend this in a 1/8 e buggy or an ACE DS1313?
I wouldn't recommend the DS610 for steering anything so heavy as a 1/8 buggy.
It'd do it but I don't know how long it would hold up to the abuse.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer

Titanium gears aren't a pre-requisite when servo shopping, merely icing on the performance cake.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

So what would yall recommend for a 1/8 e buggy out of these options
Ace R/C DS1313
Hitec HS-985MG
Hitec HS-7965(my LHS has this for about $75)
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

Hitec 7955 for $99

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=HTS37955
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

333oz just seems like overkill for a buggy

Originally Posted by mike881
Old 07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BrushlessKyle
I was curious why people spend $100+ for steering servos. I bought a $35 Futaba servo several years ago and it is still kicking.
You've brought out the neighborhood with that one.

From a technical standpoint, there are differences in servo's, obviously, even in the same size. The differences change the price tag. The name on the servo changes the price tag. Where you buy it changes the price tag.
So, it's a number of factors that contribute to the actual cost.

But, break it down to it's basic function, and what you pay for mainly are; construction/materials, speed, power/torque, electronics.
Some vehicles require certain size servos, like micro-servos. Some vehicles need larger and powerful servo's, like monster trucks. Some vehicles need precision/accuracy, such as heli's or planes. Some need speed and accuracy, like on-road cars.

In the most common servo segment, the "standard" size, you will find there are plenty of low cost servo's with some good specs. These servo's can work just fine in most applications. But, you may find that you're vehicle and driving style may need something different, and that may cost more.

I drive a Losi mini LST2 that uses "micro" size servo's, and my main vehicle is an HPI RS4 nitro touring car. In the touring car there are 2 servo's. 1 for the gas/brake, and 1 for the steering. The gas/brake servo doesn't require a lot of power, but it does need good holding and accuracy. Most servo's work fine here.

The steering worked ok with basic inexpensive servo's that cost about $10-$15 bucks. However, I could feel that the car wasn't responding as quick as I wanted, and sometimes the cars path could be bumped and sent in a path I didn't want.
So, I looked for a faster responding servo, that had more torque and holding power, and I wanted it to be more durable, along with good precision.
For all that I needed ball bearings in the servo for better precision, and added smoothness for transitional steering. And, it had to have metal gears for durability. I ended up with a Hi-Tec metal geared, ball bearing servo that cost over $60. Now, that's not a lot, but compared to the standard servo, which is about $15, HiTech cost as much as 4 standard servo's.

Was it worth it? YES! The steering responds very quickly, and the servo holds the cars line even when more power is added. The cars line doesn't get bumped or pushed off easily either. The overall result is a smoother handling and very responsive car.

So, it does matter, and the difference can cost.
The bigger question is; how much added cost actually gives a return on investment.
For example: Does a $60 servo give 4 times added benefit? In my situation it did? But, the specs of the $60 servo exceeded that of the basic servo, and it is better built.

If there were 2 servo's, one price $60 and one priced $120, but the spec's and construction were the same, would I pay more?
I wouldn't, unless there was some real data for why I'd pay double for the same results. But, that's just me.

With any given technology, at some point, top functionality will cost more than basic. Beyond that you might be paying for things that become more luxury for some, but are considered necessity for others.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by x60Driver
Hitec servos suck IMO. I had nothing but problems with them. I've seen nothing but problems with them. I have an Orion 1409 servo. Love it, there 85.00 also. Pretty cheap
Interesting, considering that I've never had a problem with them, and nearly everyone in this thread who uses HiTec is not reporting problems either.
Hmmm.....I wonder why you're having so many issues with them...?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by TTech
Interesting, considering that I've never had a problem with them, and nearly everyone in this thread who uses HiTec is not reporting problems either.
Hmmm.....I wonder why you're having so many issues with them...?

the more expensive hitec servos that are coreless usally dont have problems.

ive own cheaper hitec diginal servos, and the main problem is that they dont center good at all. but i never blew the motor inside of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.