Wiki Posts
Search

HobbyTown customer service

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default HobbyTown customer service

I am from Houston and do quite a bit of traveling throughout Texas. So I was at Austin-Bergstrom airport and a couple hours, so I looked up the closest hobby shop just to go look around (never been to a Hobbytown before). It was nice to finally go into a shop that understood customer service and how much it is appriciated. I am usually a fan of non-franchised, locally owned business's, but I wish most of the hobby shops I go to in Houston would take note.... Just wanted to pass along a good experience and give credit to the employees that make it a great store.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's funny because I have had the opposite experience at the two closest to me.

Old cranky women yelling at my 4 yr old for touching a puppet and saying daddy can I get this? I would have but the cranky witch walks by and yells don't play with it, it is for sale! I walked out without the parts I needed and drove 20 miles to another hobby shop to spend my money.

Second time, same shop, yes I went back figured I would give it a second chance. I wait and wait and wait for someone behind the counter to help me but nope I'm just ignored. Two guys chatting it up with another hobbyist and not one of them could split away to help me.

Another location I frequented never has the parts I need. Never. And I drive a Slash and an SC10. Completely inexcusable.

People wonder why hobby shops die a slow awful death. It is because none of them know a damn thing about customer service. There is a LHS near me that every time I go in and ask for a part he doesn't have it, tries to sell me something that will not work, doesn't know what part I am talking about or acts like I'm a huge bother.

So if I don't need it within a few days amain and tower get all my business. I say screw the local hobby shop.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wjmiller3
I am from Houston and do quite a bit of traveling throughout Texas. So I was at Austin-Bergstrom airport and a couple hours, so I looked up the closest hobby shop just to go look around (never been to a Hobbytown before). It was nice to finally go into a shop that understood customer service and how much it is appriciated. I am usually a fan of non-franchised, locally owned business's, but I wish most of the hobby shops I go to in Houston would take note.... Just wanted to pass along a good experience and give credit to the employees that make it a great store.
S Lamar or Parmer at Mopac and how much did they pay you to write this post?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yea not a big fan of Hobbytown either, last summer I was in one looking for a kit for my sons birthday. I asked if they had any and the guy laughed and said "No one builds kits anymore!" turned around and walked off. Needless to say I ended up spending almost a $1000.00 bux at Tower Hobbies an hour later. Support your local franchise hobby shop my arse!

I will say the support at the Tacoma R/C track we race as is top notch, I don't mind driving an hour if I need a part or something I don't have. The smaller shops are always great.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Prophet

yea thats the typical hobbytown for you , they charge way to much for there stuff and the service sucks.

but i can say the small lhs are way... better at thier service and ordering things but thats the francise lhs for, you they hire people that dont know crap about r/c .

i did have a small lhs but the owner, mis managed his store and a couple of people that worked there stoled from him.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm hoping to hit up some other small hobby shops about an hour away from me some day. I hope they are better.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have had some troubles with hobbytown also. I went looking for some parts when i first got in the hobby and they said that the truck i had was a piece of garbage and i should buy a new and i asked them if they could order the part for my truck and they laughed when i asked. So i left the store and ordered it offline. Then here came my local hobbyshop and it was family owned and they where the really nice and have ordered my parts that i needed. So Support your local hobbyshop not hobbytown.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RDOUBLEDAY
I have had some troubles with hobbytown also. I went looking for some parts when i first got in the hobby and they said that the truck i had was a piece of garbage and i should buy a new and i asked them if they could order the part for my truck and they laughed when i asked. So i left the store and ordered it offline. Then here came my local hobbyshop and it was family owned and they where the really nice and have ordered my parts that i needed. So Support your local hobbyshop not hobbytown.

who are they to say your trucks is a piece of crap anyways, im suprised that hobbytown is still in business somehow.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tc5 man
who are they to say your trucks is a piece of crap anyways, im suprised that hobbytown is still in business somehow.
Thats what im saying and it actually wasnt a bad truck they where just trying to sell me some of there junky crap.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RDOUBLEDAY
Thats what im saying and it actually wasnt a bad truck they where just trying to sell me some of there junky crap.

i acutally remember one time when, this guy came in the hobbytown store and his speedo wasnt working and... he wanted to exchaged it for something else well the guy at the parts counter, said no and he just flipped out cussing at the guy at, the counter and they almost had to call the cops lol.

but than again they should of showed, him how everything works but thats what a manuel is for lol..

and the guy at the counter was a douche anyways.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

I can't speak for all other hobbytowns out there but the one in Fresno, CA has always been good to me ever since i was a kid, has a knowledgeable staff most of them anyways stocks most of the stuff i need, orders everthing i ask of and even matches prices, plus solders anything i have a tough time doing for free!. But i guess it's the employee's that know their job and like their job that keep the customers comming back. and no i was not paid to say this just giving my opinion
Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Lets Put this simple. The hobbytowns in Louisiana Must SUCK.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I think HT and radio shack are the same owners, some serious jerkoffs!!!!!if ya dont exactly what your after and they find out your just starting out theyll sell ya anything, I think thats pretty much a commission job, go figure

Last edited by drive2survive; 06-16-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by drive2survive
I think HT and radio shack are the same owners, some serious jerkoffs!!!!!
Me too haa
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's fine where I'm at, sure they never have the parts I need (none of the local stores do) but unlike the other stores they order it from Great Planes and have it there in 2 days without paying the hefty shipping that you pay from Tower to get it there fast. Also, they don't advertise it like they should but they'll price match Tower or A-Main as well. I got my new 2.4ghz Futaba radio there for $5 less than Tower due to them price matching and me having a $5 off coupon (the tax and shipping cancelled each other out).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.