Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HobbyTown customer service

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hobby town is good and bad!!

when i go to hobby town i only deal with certain employees the other ones are just jerks i know when these employees work and they always cut me a deal or tell me if and when there going to make down things..overawell hobby town has been good to me...
they gave me some problems when i tryed to exchange a prop for my nitro boat when they sold me the wrong one..
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Negative feedback is hugely important, Every body involved in the retail side of the business should read threads like this one and take something from it.

Yourself included.

Its how your customers view you that matters, Not how you view yourselves.
One important thing to take from this is customer service issues are not a Hobbytown specific problem. All hobbyshops suffer from poor service, all customer service industries suffer from this.

Couple of examples.

I live two tenths of a mile from an Albertsons (chain grocery store), I can see it from the roof of my house. I drive by it multiple times a day, everyday. I don't shop there. I drive 15 minutes out of my way to another Albertsons because the service at the one near my house is terrible. Ironically both stores have had the same remodel and have the exact same floor set, so going into each is almost exactly the same with the exception of one major element; the people. The management doesn't care at the one near me and it shows. I react to this by telling them in a written email, and shopping elsewhere.

Our Hobbytown is down the street from a Gamestop. This Gamestop is dirty, and I mean filthy, its like going into a 15 year olds bedroom. Just destroyed. Service is slow and the employees know nothing about the games; again about 12 minutes away is another Gamestop in the opposite direction of my house. I shop here because the store is clean, the employees are nice, and they know what they are talking about. They may not give a care about me, but they at least do their job correctly.

Several of the LHS around me suffer from the same problems. I feel my store has probably the best consistent customer service, but I know there are people out there that would argue this. One person mentioned a LHS on this thread and said they had 'excellent service' which is opposite of my personal experience here. Not very long ago I bought a bunch of parts from another LHS, got home and realized I had many of the items I purchased already. I went back to the store WITHIN 2 HOURS of initial purchase and the owner charged me a 25% restocking fee. His answer for doing this was "for wasting his time."

As a Hobbytown manager I take customer satisfaction very seriously and I appreciate all of your feedback. I'll be honest, some of it I take with a grain of salt. Some of it however is very valuable. I have learned a few things from reading through this and will pass it on to my employees.

Another thing I want to say though is; Hobbytown often is targeted because it is not a "mom and pop shop" and is "corporate." I have met many of the Hobbytown owners and most of them are "mom and pops" who have invested in the franchise. A lot of the time they are the ones who are working behind the counter. Talk to them, express what you'd like to see in the store. I am not saying each will be interested, there are still going to be bad owners out there; but most got into this for the love of the hobby and want to see their franchise succeed.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe

As a Hobbytown manager I take customer satisfaction very seriously and I appreciate all of your feedback. I'll be honest, some of it I take with a grain of salt. Some of it however is very valuable. I have learned a few things from reading through this and will pass it on to my employees.

Another thing I want to say though is; Hobbytown often is targeted because it is not a "mom and pop shop" and is "corporate." I have met many of the Hobbytown owners and most of them are "mom and pops" who have invested in the franchise.

cool post.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metla
cool post.
+1
Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benchemist
We must have it pretty good here in Omaha, NE. All of the employees are active hobbyists and most are active racers. Most of the prices are competitive with the online shops. They might not have every part for every vehicle, but they are always willing to special order stuff and let you know if an item is backordered at the suppliers.

We hosted the electric Off-road Nats last year, and I think we had the carpet nats a year or two before that.

The quality of a Hobbytown is definately determined by the employees and how much trust the owner has in the employees to make inventory decisions.
I have heard that the HobbyTown in Omaha is Top Notch, and I beleive they all are independantly owned.

The ones in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area should take Omaha as a prime example of what their buissnes COULD be.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Hobbytown/hobbyplex over in Omaha is at a completely different level. I often wonder why they are a hobbytown since they are so big. I would have to say they have hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory and they have a building that is so big that you can fly an electric airplane over their indoor onroad track, not to mention their store area is probably 60x60?

It is like going to a normal mall when you go to a normal hobbytown and then getting dropped off at the Mall of America when you go to the hobbyplex....

And Alex and the guys are racers, are fast, and care about their customers.

I live in Des Moines and I envy the Omaha rc guys for that place.