Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does anyone run pistons other than Tamiya in their Big Bore dampers? Who makes the best fitting pistons, least gap to the bore?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

AVID or Schelle Pistons work pretty good but the Tamiya ones are the Best.. they make a blank piston for the Big Bores if your looking for a specific type.. but I think they are Tapered though..
Old 05-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree.....I can't find anything better than Tamiya. But then.....I'm a diehard fan.:-)
Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

I should also note, I got my studies done so I am free at last! I've been without a race for almost 4-5 months! :-( But, I got my shorties on order and my XR on the build stand. Once again, Tamiya quality blows me away! Although the oversized box for the conversion kit was a little over the top. Traded my old Novak system via the trade-in program for the new Pulse and 10.5t Vulcan. Probably gonna take me a while before I can make it all work together. It was very saddening to disassemble my original TRF201....it served me well.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ob1n
I should also note, I got my studies done so I am free at last! I've been without a race for almost 4-5 months! :-( But, I got my shorties on order and my XR on the build stand. Once again, Tamiya quality blows me away! Although the oversized box for the conversion kit was a little over the top. Traded my old Novak system via the trade-in program for the new Pulse and 10.5t Vulcan. Probably gonna take me a while before I can make it all work together. It was very saddening to disassemble my original TRF201....it served me well.
When you run the XR, you will forget about the original chassis fairly quickly!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AussieTopForce
When you run the XR, you will forget about the original chassis fairly quickly!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

LOL! I bet you're right. I can't wait to lay it on the dirt!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

No talk on the 211?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

I got nothing to say on the 211 yet. From the pics, it looks like they replaced the aluminum chassis with plastic. But time will tell....

By the way, put my XR on the dirt today. It was a new track and I had NO practice whatsoever....But took 3rd in A-main. It was an outdoor track with a mix of dust, mud, and both. I had no trouble with the straights. Once it was aimed properly, all I had to do was nail the throttle. It flew level and was like a cat.....always landing on it's feet. Question: my ONLY disappointment was the "plow" it wanted to be in the turns. I did get it better by the A-main via setup.....but is tapping the brakes to throw the rear around necessary? Or am not doing something right with setup? I'm running a shorty Lipo butted against a low profile steering servo and the receiver and speed control are mounted on the chassis behind the battery. I heard the XR needs weight added to the front? Funny as it sounds, I feel my original TRF201 could've done better in the corners today?! Or maybe I'm just not used to the new chassis. Would converting to the XM help? Thanks for your advice in advance. Either way, it still was fun and I got a lot of looks for being different!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ob1n
I got nothing to say on the 211 yet. From the pics, it looks like they replaced the aluminum chassis with plastic. But time will tell....

By the way, put my XR on the dirt today. It was a new track and I had NO practice whatsoever....But took 3rd in A-main. It was an outdoor track with a mix of dust, mud, and both. I had no trouble with the straights. Once it was aimed properly, all I had to do was nail the throttle. It flew level and was like a cat.....always landing on it's feet. Question: my ONLY disappointment was the "plow" it wanted to be in the turns. I did get it better by the A-main via setup.....but is tapping the brakes to throw the rear around necessary? Or am not doing something right with setup? I'm running a shorty Lipo butted against a low profile steering servo and the receiver and speed control are mounted on the chassis behind the battery. I heard the XR needs weight added to the front? Funny as it sounds, I feel my original TRF201 could've done better in the corners today?! Or maybe I'm just not used to the new chassis. Would converting to the XM help? Thanks for your advice in advance. Either way, it still was fun and I got a lot of looks for being different!

I don't know if you've tried this yet, but if not, this should help your front end considerably( http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54439 ). And about the XM, yes, that would also help you carry more corner speed(though you'd have to reconfigure your electronics layout, but it IS worth it, at least for me)....
Old 05-17-2015, 12:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

The weight block is definitely the way to go. Switching to XM on the XR chassis is good if the track is high traction. if it is dusty you may find its worse! I did. I use XM on carpet where it is brilliant and XR on the dirt. But our tracks in Aus, whist good are not as groomed as those in USA. The XMW and new 211XM have a different rear, more weight to the rear and maybe better on the dirt than XM. But you need a whole new car.

Other way to find steering is to lose some tow in in the rear (depends on what you are running) black springs front and blue rear (assuming Big bores). Shock oil 32.5 front and 30 rear with 1.6 pistons.

The more rear toe the more forward grip you have, but it will create push in corners. Further, a longer wheel base will naturally have more forward push than a shorter wheel base. The gain is more stability in the rough and it jumps better.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for your replies guys. I should have mentioned, but I have/had the front weight block. Even my original TRF201 was using it. I also had an extra 14grams of lead weight near the steering linkages on the original car.I haven't added anything to the XR yet. Our dirt track isn't very groomed either. Well, at here in the Midwest USA. I live in a rural area and, surprisingly, we have a great group of people who have come together to build a few simple tracks. However, you can travel for 3-5 hours and find those "groomed" tracks that you speak of. I did a bunch of reading and studied the instructions to see the differences between the XR/XM/XMW. Honestly, I didn't see huge differences between the XM and XMW. Sure, there are some parts that are not the same, but I believe Tamiya made the XMW cause they needed an updated kit to put on the market. They made subtle changes to the XM and offered it as an entire kit. Just my opinion.... it's funny because now we see the 211 going back to plastic chassis. If you have been around like me since the 80s, I remember the 2wd buggies being aluminum, then plastic, graphite, plastic again, aluminum again.....and now Tamiya taking us back to plastic?! LOL! I'm on the fence about changing over to the XM right now. As for losing rear toe.....you have a great idea. But I'm already running 0 degree hubs. Thanks again for all your advice. I'll definitely be doing my reading and experimentation in the future. Sure wish I could have one of each 201 so I could practice and KNOW which one is better for a particular surface. BUT.....I don't make that kind of cash. LOL! Thanks again

Last edited by ob1n; 05-17-2015 at 06:35 AM. Reason: didn't finish
Old 05-18-2015, 01:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Good to hear your experiences. The front suspension block also affects toe. if you are running standard you'll be at 3 degrees, if XA then 3.5 degrees. I don't know anyone running XB at 4 degrees!

The XMW and XM have subtle difference. Essentially its weight bias. The XM has motor more forward, XMW and new 211XM have motor more rearward with rear arms in reverse position from Left to right (sweeping forward), were XM has arms in standard position. The XMW and 211X's chassis are slightly longer to effect the same wheel base with arms sweeping forward.

The more reward the weight bias, the better a mid motor is on lower grip surfaces. However, reverse the scenario with high grip and you want the motor more forward.

Thus rear motor cars rule when the track is 'real' dirt! I have been racing the two extremes, carpet with XM and dirt with XR. I was fortunate enough to buy two second hand standard 201s which came with an unused XR conversion at a great price. i was then able to build a full XM and keep my XR as is (I used to swap rear ends depending on track).
Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Curious if the 211 chassis is a direct fit/conversion...what are your thoughts?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

here are my Tamiya sluts: 503 & 201XM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.