Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im thinking of getting the Orion R10 7.5 system over the Viper system.
So that means I'll run the orion r10 esc, and orion 7.5 motor in the car.

My tire choice is gonna be for an outdoor dusty track, with Jconcepts rounder
on the front(ribbed tires), and Jconcepts flipouts (knobby tires) on the back.

The servos im probably gonna get are these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUS3&P=7
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
Im thinking of getting the Orion R10 7.5 system over the Viper system.
So that means I'll run the orion r10 esc, and orion 7.5 motor in the car.

My tire choice is gonna be for an outdoor dusty track, with Jconcepts rounder
on the front(ribbed tires), and Jconcepts flipouts (knobby tires) on the back.

The servos im probably gonna get are these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUS3&P=7
For nearly the same money you could go with a Savox 1251. The 1251 is a low profile servo which is nice because it leaves a nice area to add weight in the front of the car. Also the speed and torque of the 1251 are much better suited to a 2wd buggy. I like to have my servo as quick as possible. It gives a more directly connected feel, but for people with car control issues, it usually makes the car react too quickly for them.

Also, a 7.5 is A LOT of motor, especially for a loose outdoor track. Pro drivers typically draw the line at 7.5 in a 2wd buggy. No offense, I've watched videos of your driving and even if Xzibit showed up at your house, and was like "yo dog we're gonna pimp yo r/c driving ability" I know you can't handle a 7.5 in a 2wd buggy. Get a 13.5, and a nice ESC that has the ability to do timing. Start with no timing, and once you can make an entire battery pack without a single crash, almost every time you hit the track, then add some timing. A 2wd buggy + a 7.5 + a dusty outdoor track + your driving = many broken parts.

Take my advice on the motor. If you don't now, you will later.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Also, a 7.5 is A LOT of motor, especially for a loose outdoor track. Pro drivers typically draw the line at 7.5 in a 2wd buggy. No offense, I've watched videos of your driving and even if Xzibit showed up at your house, and was like "yo dog we're gonna pimp yo r/c driving ability" I know you can't handle a 7.5 in a 2wd buggy. Get a 13.5, and a nice ESC that has the ability to do timing. Start with no timing, and once you can make an entire battery pack without a single crash, almost every time you hit the track, then add some timing. A 2wd buggy + a 7.5 + a dusty outdoor track + your driving = many broken parts.

Take my advice on the motor. If you don't now, you will later.
The video you saw was over 4-5 years old. Back in 2007-2008
If you saw me drive now you would be like "holy cow this dude can wheel a 2wd buggy."

Yeah I will take your advice however and try to drive with a 10.5 first.
Before jumping into a faster motor. Lipo batteries are much faster than NIMH.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

So you have run the 415, 416, and 417?

The best way to set ride height is to drop the car from about 5 inches. Make sure it is on a smooth surface like a glass counter or a tweak board. Nothing better than people setting their ride height on some dirty, uneven wood table at the track. Or better yet their pit towel. If your going to do it, do it right. I like the Losi ride height gauge. It has a feature which may be accidental, but I like very much. It has about 1mm of play up and down, and the up side of the play is the indicated setting. I set the ride height I want, move the gauge to the bottom of the free play, slide it under the car, then move it to the top of the play. If it just touches the chassis I'm good, if it doesn't I lower the car, if it moves the car I raise the ride height. Easy, accurate.

Yep...415, MS, MSX, X, WE so many darn versions. Too bad Tamiya doesn't update the 201 in the same matter or at least half of those updates :P

Thanks for the ride height explanation. I just picked up one of those Losi ride height gauges.

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom
I'm with R.S. as far as setting ride height. Make sure the setting are accurate. Ride height, toe and camber. Then in drive the car. If the car is slamming the back end everytime you land then you need more rear "pack". If that's the case then put the 1.3 pistons in the rear and drive it again. If its still doing it try 1.2 pistons in the rear.

I doubt the other 201 you speak of is running velvets with tamiya pistons. That would be the only way to make an apples to apples comparison. If he's running lets say 3b pistons compared to your stock pistons then the comparison is less about shocks and more about pistons. Setup is 90% tires/ shocks. Find a shock package you like and taylor the setup around them. Tamiya pistons are amazing. They are machined where the Kyosho small bore pistons are not. Also make sure your shock rod isn't binding in the shock body because of crappy shock o-rings. Until the TRF x-rings hit the market I ran the clear Kyosho o-rings in all my shocks. HUGE difference over the stock orange o-rings.
I'm pretty sure he's just running velvets with the 3 hole Kyosho piston. I definitely have the right tires for the track and toe is all set. I think some of the issue is how I measured ride height. Either way I know have new Kyosho shocks I can build up and test as well as some extra Kyosho pistons to install in the Tamiya shocks.

I'm debating picking up a second 201 just to setup as a mod buggy.

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom
Clear ORG03X
Red ORG03XR

I prefer the clear but the red will work just as well.
awesome and ordered

I do think the 201 is a great car and just want to figured out the shocks and why it's slapping hard on some landings. I've almost read this entire thread from about page 90! LOL
Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

i have a huge tamiya 201x setup for sale if anyone is looking...
dropping buggy class for now....
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShtLuck
Hahaha I was just going to ask when where you going to sell that thing......guess I know now.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
Hahaha I was just going to ask when where you going to sell that thing......guess I know now.
yeah. i am not enjoying it.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Suspended

yeah. i am not enjoying it.
What happened? A little over a week ago you were saying how well your car worked.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
The video you saw was over 4-5 years old. Back in 2007-2008
If you saw me drive now you would be like "holy cow this dude can wheel a 2wd buggy."

Yeah I will take your advice however and try to drive with a 10.5 first.
Before jumping into a faster motor. Lipo batteries are much faster than NIMH.
What 2wd buggy have you had that you have been wheeling?

Also is it my understanding that you are just now going to lipo?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

What happened? A little over a week ago you were saying how well your car worked.
car is good. i am just not enjoying buggy as much as i should. i may buy an ae just to have one to race so i dont have to carry any parts but i am probably gonna run sct as it gets a huge turnout at all our local tracks and at major races.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

car is good. i am just not enjoying buggy as much as i should. i may buy an ae just to have one to race so i dont have to carry any parts but i am probably gonna run sct as it gets a huge turnout at all our local tracks and at major races.
I might be interested if you can PM me pics and details...

How are your shocks currently built up? That's my only current issue with my own car :P
Old 09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

I was finally able to get to the track to test out the Exotek conversion. I waa thinking my setup was going to be way different than what it normally is. I was way off. It doesnt really matter what I started with...all that matters was how I ended. I will post the setup as soon as I can convert the pdf to a small enough file I can post here. I still have much to test. Overall I was pleased with the amount of rear grip. Actually its still a bit too much rear grip. I plan to locate a LMR brass bulkhead or wait until the Tamiya version hits Tamiya USA. I think the added weight will balance the car. I'm also going to test the 3b shock piston package with and without the big bore conversion. I'm starting to feel the big bore springs may not be needed after all. It seems the more I run the car the more I like the simplicity of an all Tamiya car. Lee Martin has been running x-gear std bore springs. I'm looking for a website that I can actually read so I can place an order. More details to follow.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just converted to the "Losi" style rear uprights. Having trouble keeping the ball stud in the upright. Using set screw on both sides of the ball stud threads to help secure the threads.

Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stevenich
Just converted to the "Losi" style rear uprights. Having trouble keeping the ball stud in the upright. Using set screw on both sides of the ball stud threads to help secure the threads.

Any ideas?
Can you post a pic?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stevenich

Any ideas?
How long is the threaded part of the ballstud?

Last edited by R.Shackleford; 10-01-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.