Wiki Posts
Search

Carbonfiber 1/8 buggy chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Carbonfiber 1/8 buggy chassis?

Is this a good idea? Has any body tried it?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as it's protected from scuffing.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

1- It would require a lot of work
2-It wouldn't really be worth it
3- Did I say expensive?

The only thing good that will come out of it, is the durability and will be lighter so you can put the weight in the right places, but stock chassis suit me fine
Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

looks like u run associated but here is 1 for 8.I have also seen a few people making some offset ones for dirtoval,but the problem lies on the front kickup in the factory chassis.You have to make an (adapter) for your diff housing to bolt up to the flat carbon.

http://www.matrixconceptsinc.com/pro...p?idCategory=2
Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
1- It would require a lot of work
2-It wouldn't really be worth it
3- Did I say expensive?

The only thing good that will come out of it, is the durability and will be lighter so you can put the weight in the right places, but stock chassis suit me fine
Why would you arbitrarily say it wouldn't be worth it? The weight savings could mean a big difference in motor temps, run time, and total speed. I can see plenty of benefits if it were done right.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoodala
Why would you arbitrarily say it wouldn't be worth it? The weight savings could mean a big difference in motor temps, run time, and total speed. I can see plenty of benefits if it were done right.
IMO a heaver rig is easier to drive than a light one. The heavier one will feel more planted and predictable than a light one. Some people like lighter rigs but i just prefer a heavier one. As long as the buggy has a LCG heavier is better.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Matrixconcepts does that 1 in the US. I thought they were working on more too. There is a company in the UK doing quite a few different cars too. I want to say goose or Moose racing or something like that. I know Andrew Smolnik was running 1 for them. I think it will work. Integra on here has some on=f them and runs his E8ight with it. They have replacable skids and droop screw stops. Nice chassis, just wish they made some for other cars.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoodala
1/8 scale buggies today have no trouble getting close to the minimum 7 lbs dictated by the roar rules, so losing more weight doesn't really benefit you as you'll have to add more weight to stay legal. that's why he said the one of the few benefits is that you get to choose where the weight can be placed, but a good race buggy should already be fairly balanced out of the box. carbon fiber would also be stiffer and stronger than aluminum so handling and durability may be improved. whether the cost if justified is up to you
Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

How have the CF ones that are available been in terms of durability? I thought about having one made (I know someone that can make them), but am concerned about durability. CF is great for structural members that are stressed, but their stiffness also makes them brittle, so they're not good for parts that take shock/impact. The chassis on 8-scale vehicles get banged pretty hard at the track, so I foresee that impact eventually cracking the chassis. Plus, with it being stiffer, that counteracts the "tuned flex" stuff that's marketed by other mfrs. I've always thought a stiffer chassis is better for handling as it takes away variables that you can't account for by suspension and chassis tuning...at least that's from my experience with real cars.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Actually a carbon fiber chassis would have a lot of flex. Thats why any after market chassis you see made of CF has a multi-deck design to make it more rigid. The CF would flex (for a while) but one good hit and it would snap.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Usually lower weight means faster lap times (with the ideal driver and setup, lower weight = faster lap times no question) just because of the properties of friction (traction) between rubber and the ground. Contrary to what you may have learned in physics, friction is not linearly proportional to normal force (weight). In reality, friction/lb actually increases as weight decreases making you have more grip with less weight.

If you have experienced otherwise, then consider this: A normal weight car that has been set up properly, will no longer be set up as such once weight is removed. Springs will be too hard, shock oil will be too viscous, and foams will be too hard to name a few.

The only issue I see with a carbon fiber chassis is that it effectively raises the center of gravity as you are no doubt removing weight from below the center of gravity.