Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
what short course truck should i go with? >

what short course truck should i go with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what short course truck should i go with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default what short course truck should i go with?

i have always been a nitro guy,my son however has a friend who has a traxxas slash and they have a class for it at our track,he would like a truck like this.i know there are other companies that make the same type of truck or in the same class and i would like to know if there is a better truck out there in the same class or is traxxas the one to go with.i dont really like traxxas from my past experience more like a associated or losi guy.let me know your thoughts and any upgrades the trucks may need like the engines(electric) batteries ect. thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

I have a slash and I love it... simply because everywhere I go sells traxxas parts. My other Nitro truck, Team Associated, always needs "special order" parts and what not. I would go to your local hobby shop and find out what they sell most of. Traxxas Slash is a great starter car, but can be tricked out and go fasssssst!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Slash all the way. But then i have two of them.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RTR: SLASH!!!!!( or Blitz )

Kit: SC10 or new Blitz.

For upgrades, look at a brushless system for sure. No drawbacks whatsoever. I'd go with the LRP short course combo. A Li-po, too. More specifically a highly revered one, like an SMC or an Epic. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Since your an "associated" guy and your son wants to race, get the SC10 and the rpm front chassis brace and your good. Another truck to look at is the HPI Blitz, it is just as durable as the Slash and handles much better straight out of the box.

I like the Slash and own 3 of them, however, to get the slash to the same level of the SC10 or Blitz (handling wise due to high center of gravity) you will spend $150 or more between the pro-trac kit and new shocks to get it to handle like the others do out of the box.

This is kind of an ongoing debate, but just my .02

Edit: when you say, "There's a class for it" is it a "slash" class or a normal short course class, like "spec" sct?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

dont get a slash, junk. associated or the hpi, also think about the new kyosho sct coming out, gunna be sweet.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by not home
dont get a slash, junk. associated or the hpi, also think about the new kyosho sct coming out, gunna be sweet.
X2 I forgot about that one..
Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigguyrc8
i have always been a nitro guy,my son however has a friend who has a traxxas slash and they have a class for it at our track,he would like a truck like this.i know there are other companies that make the same type of truck or in the same class and i would like to know if there is a better truck out there in the same class or is traxxas the one to go with.i dont really like traxxas from my past experience more like a associated or losi guy.let me know your thoughts and any upgrades the trucks may need like the engines(electric) batteries ect. thanks.
I also have 2 Slashes for myself and my son. He has literally beat the thing to death and it always comes back asking for more. I found them fairly inexpensive to replace/upgrade parts but all in all, this hobby is going to cost. The initial cost is generally the one that is the killer ie:Lipo,charger, etc. I set ours up with a VXL and a Mamba motor/ESC combos, powered w/2s 5250 Lipo's. It is great to hear my son say, "Aww c'mon Dad-Is that all you got?!"
Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does everyone forget about the strike??? Its a competitive truck out of the box, has a few nitpicking issues, but any rtr does. Stock with only minor suspension tuning I kept up with brushless sc10's. Now going brushless and I think I will easily be able to kill the sc10's and especially the slashes. I have not raced against a blitz but it looks very promising as well.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im torn between the slash and the blitz. I don't get to the track as much as I like but I do want to race. THe new 2.4 ghz version really has me leaning towards the slash but I could get a better radio with the $50 price difference. Any opinions?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default S.C. trucks

Wait to buy a S.C. truck. The April issue of RcDriver is going to be a special S.C. truck issue. Check out the link www.rcdriver.com Its going to be a great issue. I'm an Assocaited guy too. I just sold my T3 and am in the market for a S.C. truck. The thing that is drawing me toward the Slash is that its water-proof. But I know once I buy it and get into racing S.C. that I am going to want to tune and race more. Other than the slash the Blitz is also a good bet. Stay away from the SC10 to many chassis breaks.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Blitz.... It can bash or race, whatever you like.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Kyosho or associated are the racers, IMO and the slash is going to be more class specific.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Slash is the way to go.....

The "stock" slash class is the coolest class I have seen in a while. Box stock racing for $200. This truck has helped revamp rc off road racing and I would bet saved a few shops from closure as well. Hands down, best truck for the money as its durabiltiy is way better than any of the other trucks as well, especially for new racers.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shrekito
Wait to buy a S.C. truck. The April issue of RcDriver is going to be a special S.C. truck issue. Check out the link www.rcdriver.com Its going to be a great issue. I'm an Assocaited guy too. I just sold my T3 and am in the market for a S.C. truck. The thing that is drawing me toward the Slash is that its water-proof. But I know once I buy it and get into racing S.C. that I am going to want to tune and race more. Other than the slash the Blitz is also a good bet. Stay away from the SC10 to many chassis breaks.
Idkk how you break a chassis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.