Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

SC10.

Always start w/ the best equipment.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I have all 3. It's not that simple. they all have there strong points and I hate to admit it but the Slash is a lot better than everybody gives it credit for. In fact, of the 3 the Slash is the easiest to drive and is the most forgiving. This is a hard piece if advice to give.

My personal experience:

After taking a 20 year break from RC racing I re-started my obsession with the SC10 and then bought a Blitz. At first, I kept racing the SC10 because it turned a lot better and felt more nimble. Other than putting Goosebumps and Blitz shocks on the SC10 I never did a thing to it. It was great right out of the box.

After reading about how to set up the Blitz I finally got it pretty dialed and ended up buying 2 more because they were on Sale for $159. I bought one for parts but figured that I could throw a hot motor in the other. It took me several weeks to get the Blitz tuned to my liking. The Blitz is really good that way....it is very adjustable. If you are like me that can be very frustrating. I also still have 3 trucks as I have not been able to break either Blitz.

Anyway, those two trucks are very different. The Blitz is more stable and is capable of a lot of rear traction. The SC10 feels more light and loose. Both good.

I noticed that the owner of my local track, who is also a well know pro who has his own racing league too, still raced a Slash. I had never driven one but everybody bad mouths them and says that other than being durable- they are old news. On a whim I asked a guy at the track if i could try out his Slash and I really liked it. He said that it was bone stock other than a set of Goosebumps. It was very forgiving and stable, more so than the Blitz and SC10. Even though it does not turn as well as the other trucks it is so easy to drive that it has made me wonder if the others are really better. I'm not sure yet. I was so shocked [and impressed] that I walked off the track and up to the shop and bought one. I'm going to race it on Saturday in our Sportsman (Spec) SC class. I have a feeling that I will be able to do a ton better. Sportsman SC is the most competitive class at the track and is near impossible to win....someday.

There a another couple of considerations too. Parts are not as easy to get for the Blitz although they are starting to appear in stores. However, HPI is almost directly accessable if you have questions. The guy who designed the truck actually has a pretty long thread on SCSHORTCOURSE.com where he details how to tune the truck. If you join the Forum you can actually ask the guy questions and he will answer. He also details his own personal set ups. I do not know of another company that has gone that far. On the flip side, the Slash will never break and you can get parts anywhere. The SC10 has the best race herritage, has the best electronics (the only one with Lipo cutoff), is the most upgradable, and is the most fragile. IMO the SC10 and the Slash are ready for the track out of the box but the Blitz will definitely need a couple hours of easy tinkering but I think that I could set one up in 30-45mins. The SC10 looks the best....the Slash looks like a jalopy in comparison to the other 2 and I'm not a fan of the body.

The answer to your question is that I do not think that there is a best truck. I recommend finding a way to try them all out. If you plan to race, go to your local track and see what everybody else has.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crawler
SC10.

Always start w/ the best equipment.
no the blitz would be the best ive had both and im better with the blitz
Old 12-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default QDRHRSE is right on

+1 on QDRHRSE's fantastic and well thought out response. I've now tried all three and own two Slash's. I really like the Slash for all the reasons already pointed out -- cheap parts, great availability and tough. The only downsides I see is it's somewhat heavy, and as mentioned by QDRHRSE, the out-of-the-box looks are not the best (that can be easily remedied with another body and wheels).

Keep in mind, with Pro-line soon releasing the Protrac suspension kit, I think the Slash will be even more track worthy if racing is your thing.

The Blitz is nice, but it seems as though there are still bugs being worked out with the tranny and shocks. Because of that, I'm not sure I'd recommend it right now unless you're prepared to stock up on some spare parts.

I really like the looks of the SC10 and that you can build it from a kit. I do think it can be a solid basher now that the RPM parts are out. For the backyard basher, your primary concern is going to be the lower ground clearance -- the same is true for the Blitz and the upcoming Kyosho SC.

Steve
Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pastimesteve
+1 on QDRHRSE's fantastic and well thought out response. I've now tried all three and own two Slash's. I really like the Slash for all the reasons already pointed out -- cheap parts, great availability and tough. The only downsides I see is it's somewhat heavy, and as mentioned by QDRHRSE, the out-of-the-box looks are not the best (that can be easily remedied with another body and wheels).

Keep in mind, with Pro-line soon releasing the Protrac suspension kit, I think the Slash will be even more track worthy if racing is your thing.

The Blitz is nice, but it seems as though there are still bugs being worked out with the tranny and shocks. Because of that, I'm not sure I'd recommend it right now unless you're prepared to stock up on some spare parts.

I really like the looks of the SC10 and that you can build it from a kit. I do think it can be a solid basher now that the RPM parts are out. For the backyard basher, your primary concern is going to be the lower ground clearance -- the same is true for the Blitz and the upcoming Kyosho SC.

Steve
I bought my Slash with that kit on it. It's supposed to make the Slash even more stable. It's hard to believe but for an extra $60 I thought that I'd give it a shot. Also, as Steve mentions the Slash is heavier but I think that is an advantage not a disadvantage. The weight seems to keep the truck planted better. If you look at the top racers AE rigs they are almost all weighted. These cars have evolved to the point that i think they are too light most of the time, especially for the power that we are giving them.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone x
no the blitz would be the best ive had both and im better with the blitz
Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Since work is slow and I have nothing better to do, I will elaborate even further. I switched to racing my Blitz only but it has an ESC out of an SC10 as it is plainly better than the one out of the Blitz. The HPI ESC sucks. The case may fly apart and need to be glued and the heat sync will surely fly off eventually. Plus, you can't lock out reverse and it does not have Lipo cutoff. The Slash ESC has the same functionality as the Blitz ESC but is bullitt proof. I also forgot to mention that the Slash comes water proof/resistant. It can take use outside in the snow [possibly rain too] and can get moderatley wet before you hurt it while the other two are definitely not to be used when its wet out.

As far as problems are concerned, I'm unaware of an problems that the Blitz has. When you buy one you need to tighten up the servo saver and in some cases seal up the diff due to faulty o rings in some of the diffs. The steering thing is really minor and is done so that the servo has more protection for teh servo when it's being bashed. The gearbox issue is probably cleared up by now but taking it appart would not be a deterrant [for me] from buying one. In fact it's kind of nice to get to fiddle with the truck.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
As far as problems are concerned, I'm unaware of an problems that the Blitz has. When you buy one you need to tighten up the servo saver and in some cases seal up the diff due to faulty o rings in some of the diffs. The steering thing is really minor and is done so that the servo has more protection for teh servo when it's being bashed. The gearbox issue is probably cleared up by now but taking it appart would not be a deterrant [for me] from buying one. In fact it's kind of nice to get to fiddle with the truck.
You're correct, the o-rings (which HPI will send you for free) seem to fix the leaking problem. I was thinking more about reports of the diff cups prematurely wearing and the diff case breaking IN SOME cases. Still, you're largely right, it's a very nice truck.

Steve
Old 12-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up get the kid a blitz

get the kid a blitz it is the newest hot sct truck on the market and handels like a porche as opposed the slash i dove a blitz at my local indoor track one night and when i got home i sold my slash imediately hadles 100 times better than slash plastic junk
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

I spent the day driving my plastic piece of trash with the addition of the new ProTrac kit and my Blitz isn't going keep up. Although it's $60, the Protech kit, good set up, and a set of Goosebumps have made my Slash an animal. It has grip like nothing else. Traction is not an issue in any direction. It was good for at least a couple of seconds per lap. I will be putting my Spec class Blitz back on the shelf for a while and racing the Slash. Who would of thought that could be possible?

Last edited by QDRHRSE; 12-24-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What's a Protech kit?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

I've been way off lately. It's called the ProTrac Suspension Kit. It is the real deal. It made the Slash feel great. Here's a description:

The bread and butter of this kit are the suspension arms. They are 10mm longer than stock arms which give your truck more stability in corners, jumps and straight line traction. The front A-arms feature two mounting positions for the shocks and are very beefy. The rear A-arms are just as strong and feature five positions for mounting shocks. The rear end uses new hub carriers which have six different mounting positions for the turnbuckles. To keep the stock width on the Slash while still gaining performance, Pro-Line includes four new wheels, which have 10mm of negative offset to keep the truck at stock width. This is especially important as the new suspension still conforms to ROAR specs. New longer steel turnbuckles and wider front and rear shock towers are also included. The wider stance compliments the wider arms and work as one complete unit in getting your Slash to the next level of performance. The front shock tower has two different positions for the shocks, and three different positions for the turnbuckles. This really allows you to fine-tune your suspension. The rear shock tower features two shock mounting positions and three positions for the turnbuckle. All of this tuning capability allows you to set the type of camber changes you need for specific track conditions and your specific driving style. So enough with the technical info, let’s check out how they perform!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

All trucks have there weak link.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:30 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
All trucks have there weak link.
Very true.

I think the most important question is for anyone looking to get a SCT truck is are they going to run in a Spec class where everyone runs the truck box stock or are they going to run a more open type SCT class where you can change tires, motors, speedos, shocks and so on. This will help determine what truck would be better.

When you run a more open type SCT class the SC10 and Blitz are a better overall platform for racing and have many more adjustments. The Slash can be brought up to a high level but does cost a little more money to do so.

One good thing all the SCT trucks are very nice (Strike needs some updates from Losi but has potential but at this time are not for everyone) but the other three right now are all pretty nice.

I have had all of them but the Blitz but for me won't run one til they make a speedo that comes in the kit that has reversed locked out since I run Spec and can't change the speedo. For some this is not a problem but I just don't care for it. HAd an SC10 but again for spec the stock tires suck for are local tracks so I sold it.

My trucks for Spec racing are the Slash and yes beleive it or not a Strike. THe Slash because it just hooks up great in the Spec type racing class, tires are great, easy to drive consistant, and parts are easy to get. The Strike is my project truck but actually is faster than my Slash and is a good amount lighter. The Strike also has more steering but in return is harder to drive.

Its hard to pic a SCT truck with so many coming out. Hope you buy from a local shop with knowledgable staff that can help steer you to what is best.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

I have the Slash with the Sidewinder 4600 in it. I am still messing with it but I am usually in the top 3 or 4 locally and not very far off the lead. I picked up a used Blitz, tossed in a Sidewinder 5700 and won the first race I put it in with a battery pack or two of practice. Today I see that our triple and my driving busted the steering knuckle on it. I also broke the drive cup on the wheel during practice. The tranny is leaking and thanks to this thread I will contact HPI for the new gasket. I have yet to break anything but a spur here and there on the Slash.

My advice is to get the Slash. If this kid has never raced then it doesn't matter what truck is in his hands until he learns how to drive. Learning how to drive will mean busted parts. The Slash will save you money while he learns and is still capable of winning once he does. I am waiting for more input but the Proline pro-trac kit sounds like what the Slash needs to put it on the podium more consistantly. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.