ESC question

Old 12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default ESC question

Ok, I'm new to the 1/8 scale electric thing. So I bought a new Losi 8ight E 2.0 with the Xcelorin stuff in it and I bought a new Spektrum DXS2. I made no changes to the transmitter. Had everything set at defaults. I went through the binding the ESC to the transmitter by going full throttle, then full brake then back to neutral. Everything went like it was supposed to.

Anyway, I raced today and felt really let down by the power I had heard all about. I was getting killed on the straights by the nitro guys and electric both. This is with 4S. So I got to thinking about the EPA and wondering if it was set to max. I THOUGHT that even if it wasn't, I would still get full throttle because I had gone through the process. I figured whatever it was set to that the ESC would see that as full. Anyway, I found it set at 100 and I guess it can go up to 125, so I set it there. WOW!! what a difference. Unfortunately, this was right before the Main, so I spent half the main just learning how to control it again.

So, my question is this: Am I somehow overloading the ESC? Like I told it one point was full and now have upped that a significant amount. Or am I just getting the full throttle that I should have had all along?

I appreciate any knowledgeable input. Thanks guys
Old 12-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am not familiar with the excelorin stuff but if you can externally adjust the esc you can get more from there timing punch control ect. Also you can go up 1-2 teeth on the pinion gear. Find a thread for that car and ask there.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972 View Post
Ok, I'm new to the 1/8 scale electric thing. So I bought a new Losi 8ight E 2.0 with the Xcelorin stuff in it and I bought a new Spektrum DXS2. I made no changes to the transmitter. Had everything set at defaults. I went through the binding the ESC to the transmitter by going full throttle, then full brake then back to neutral. Everything went like it was supposed to.

Anyway, I raced today and felt really let down by the power I had heard all about. I was getting killed on the straights by the nitro guys and electric both. This is with 4S. So I got to thinking about the EPA and wondering if it was set to max. I THOUGHT that even if it wasn't, I would still get full throttle because I had gone through the process. I figured whatever it was set to that the ESC would see that as full. Anyway, I found it set at 100 and I guess it can go up to 125, so I set it there. WOW!! what a difference. Unfortunately, this was right before the Main, so I spent half the main just learning how to control it again.

So, my question is this: Am I somehow overloading the ESC? Like I told it one point was full and now have upped that a significant amount. Or am I just getting the full throttle that I should have had all along?

I appreciate any knowledgeable input. Thanks guys
It was designed with that setting and you will not hurt anything.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by malik View Post
I am not familiar with the excelorin stuff but if you can externally adjust the esc you can get more from there timing punch control ect. Also you can go up 1-2 teeth on the pinion gear. Find a thread for that car and ask there.
I don't think you understood my question. I got all the speed I need. Don't know if setting the EPA higher than where it was during the ESC setup is dangerous.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
It was designed with that setting and you will not hurt anything.
Thanks. I hope you're right. It seemed to work just fine. In fact, it was too fine!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

your radio says 125 but the esc will never see more than 100%
I max out break and throttle on the radio before calibrating.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scwrod View Post
your radio says 125 but the esc will never see more than 100%
I max out break and throttle on the radio before calibrating.
The thing is I didn't adjust it when I calibrated the ESC (I thought 100% was max. On that radio it isn't). But I was clearly not getting full power at full trigger pull. But after I increased the EPA (and I didn't recalibrate the ESC) I had MUCH better power. So should I go back and set the throttle EPA to max and then re-calibrate? Or should I leave well enough alone. I now have all the power and speed I want.