Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 IFMAR Offroad World Championships Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 415racer
The previous Worlds in SA were the reason for the boycott this year.

Didn't Masami get robbed and held at gun point? Armed guards were brought in to protect the racers/track. A few guys from the UK were repeatedly robbed. I think even Dallas (IFMAR President) got beaten up whilst he was there.

When some of the racers picked up their hire cars, the rental companies told them to keep driving at traffic lights and don't stop for any reason. They soon realised why, the drive from the Airport to the track had people standing at the side of the road with knifes and guns.

There were LOTS of incidents.

Maybe the last SA worlds were just in the wrong city/place, but the impression everyone got after visiting the country wasn't the best.

I'm sure SA is a great country, but most of the guys that went last time don't want the same to happen again.
Dude, your ignorance gave me one of the best laughs I have had in ages.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 4wd final

here's the 4wd report from tap
heres the link http://www.trap.co.za/offroadep/inde...:news&Itemid=9

CONGRATULATION TO GERD/MARTIN AND TEAM DURANGO
Day One – Four Wheel Drive

Practice day today, no timed runs, however consensus is Martin Achter is the quickest.
He looks really good and has worked out his lines well.

Dean Steenmans is still having electrical issues, while Craig Laughton is chasing a faster setup to put him on level terms with Achter.
Tomorrow sees the start of qualifying, four rounds and then one more on Sunday before the finals.

We’ll keep you posted throughout the day how it all goes.
The track is holding up well and is faster in the reverse direction with Martin recording some unofficial sub-20 second lap times.
There is more air over the triples but the shallow double just before the straight is proving difficult for most to master.

IFMAR 4WD World Championship Final

A Final Leg 1:

A good start from the entire field has pole man Martin Achter driving his Durango 410 Ex takes an early lead.
A big pile up over the table top and most of the mid field is re shuffled which leaves Martin with a huge advantage
over the rest of the field.

Another driver to take advantage over the first lap’s carnage is Australian Craig Laughton driving his
Hot Bodies D4 moving up to 4th place from 10th on the grid.
Unfortunately Craig’s good start was undone when his car broke after a bad landing off the big triple.

Martin drove flawlessly throughout the final taking a very comfortable win.

A controlled drive from South African Jaco van Eerden has the Durango driver finishing second
with young Brandon Joynt taking a well deserved third with his Kyosho.

A Final Leg 2:

Once again Martin takes advantage of his pole position and heads into the lead.
Second place man on the grid, Gerrit Gouws has a poor start and gets tangled up in the chasing pack.
Once again 10th place Craig Laughton proves that discretion is the better part of valor and drives an
extremely cautious opening lap which see’s the Australian move up to fourth on the opening lap.
This leg turns out to be an ugly affair with many drivers having huge crashes costing them valuable positions and points.

However one man who was showing the rest of the world how it should be done was Martin Achter.
The German driver was pacing himself with a cool and calm driving style that had the Durango driver finish
a lap up on the rest of the field.
Martin’s win see’s him crowned the 2009 IFMAR 4WD World Champion.

A superb drive from 14 year old Brandon Joynt in second and a recovering Craig Laughton in third.

A Final Leg 3:

With the World title already secured Martin decides to watch the action from the sidelines and sits’ this leg out.
A much better start for all, especially for Gerrit Gouws who heads into the lead from his second place on the grid.
Again a good start for Craig as he starts making his way through the field.
Three minutes in and Gerrit driving an Associated B44 has opened up a good lead over fellow
Associated driver Guilherme De Sousa with Craig all over the back of him.
An error from Guilherme sees’ Craig get past and start his pursuit of Gerrit.
The Australian closes up on the tail of Gerrit with less that a minute to go, but a small mistake on Craig’s behalf
let’s Gerrit off the hook to take the win.

Craig takes second and Guilherme third.

With the new World Champion already crowned it was left to the officials to tally the points and
declare second and third positions.

The outcome was Martin Achter with his Durango 410EX in first position,
Gerrit Gouws second with his Associated B44
Craig Laughton with his Hot Bodies D4 in third.

4WD FINAL OVERALL RESULTS

1 Martin Achter

2 Gerrit Gouws

3 Craigh Laughton

4 Brandon Joynt
5 Guilherme de Sousa

6 Stefan Ippy

7 Jaco van Eeden
8 Rikus Jansen van Vuuren

9 Kenny Morey

10 Albert Claassens
Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the results pete68. Congrats to Martin Achter as he is the new 2WD and 4WD World Champion..
Old 10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by desertraton
They need to pick better sites for the worlds. If factory drivers won't go, it turns out to be a hollow victory. It'll look good in their display case.
Better sites? Crazy talk! You cannot hold every Worlds in Japan etc. I don't believe in a "hollow victory" as I would race a bunch of grandmas to get my hands on a Worlds title , and it would look great in my display case . I know, POINTLESS POST.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Just as I predicted Martin wins 4wd as well.
And he was running the new Durango car too.
So a B44 got 2nd that's not bad either.
Thanks for the results Pete.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SqueegUK
Dude, your ignorance gave me one of the best laughs I have had in ages.
Sorry guys I don't mean to offend you. I definitely want to visit South Africa at some point, I have friends from there who say it is like any other place in the world - good parts and bad parts.

The problem is, it was the first time most of the racers had visited South Africa at the Worlds in 2002. I don't know if it was in a particularly bad area? (you guys know more than me about this, is it a bad area?) or the racers were just unlucky. But first impressions last a lifetime, and a lot of dodgey stuff went on!

If you visited a new country and saw a lot of crime (whether its common or not), would you want to go back?

The stuff I mentioned before definitely went on. One of your distributors invited some guys from the UK over to test before the event, he had a track in his back garden, and explained why there was a massive fence with barbed wire around his house. Some guys came in to his house the week before, I think they injured his Dad so he shot them, which he said was quite normal in South Africa.

Stories like that don't help, and that was a story from one of you guys!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We now have alot of South African's living in New Zealand. The common thing between all of them on the reasons why they left is the crime rate and in particular violent crime.
It is very common for them to say to not stop at traffic lights particulary at night unless you want to be robbed or murdered.

So I am afraid there are truth to these stories and it is hard to deny when you have South Africans that have moved away telling them to you.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fatbear
We now have alot of South African's living in New Zealand. The common thing between all of them on the reasons why they left is the crime rate and in particular violent crime.
It is very common for them to say to not stop at traffic lights particulary at night unless you want to be robbed or murdered.

So I am afraid there are truth to these stories and it is hard to deny when you have South Africans that have moved away telling them to you.
Not to drag this on but your pool of information is a bit biased....common thing for expats to justify why they left (any nationality)

I am not saying that SA is all roses. But they do not have wild animals wondering the streets. Not all houses have barbed wire fences with spikes etc etc . Pretty much like most parts of the world..... wasnt there a dude killed with some rail plank in the US a few weeks back ?? Or some innocent bystander stabbed in London a month ago ?? Riots / cars burining in Paris a year or two ago ? I could go on...

Now back to racing....
Old 10-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gimpex
Not to drag this on but your pool of information is a bit biased....common thing for expats to justify why they left (any nationality)

I am not saying that SA is all roses. But they do not have wild animals wondering the streets. Not all houses have barbed wire fences with spikes etc etc . Pretty much like most parts of the world..... wasnt there a dude killed with some rail plank in the US a few weeks back ?? Or some innocent bystander stabbed in London a month ago ?? Riots / cars burining in Paris a year or two ago ? I could go on...

Now back to racing....
I agree! Las Vegas is a very dangerous city, DWI crashes/deaths Shootings and general crimes are daily but Vegas covers it up so all visitors see is the "STRIP" . My 2 rusty pennies worth
Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default This is the end of IFMAR

I think this is the start of the end.

Ifmar was created (helmed by leading manufacturers) to create an internationally recognised level of competence... Racing.

Since most factory teams have boycotted the SA event, it's likely to repeat in the future. for instance, Americans might not want to send a team to someplace because american products are not deeply penetrated in the market or they feel americans will be target of crime.
or Japan might not want to send their team to someplace else cos everyone there has a bigger cock then them?

The future of international racing is in jeapardy. This most recent event is simply a peep into the future, where teams will simply decide to boycott cos they feel they can't win(either because they were robbed, raped, have inferior cars or have smaller dicks)

or maybe the teams are just scared, you know what they say...' once you go black, there ain't going back!'
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Legend

Obvious this event demonstrates that the manufactures gave IFMAR a vote of no confidants and are not satisfied with the way these events are being organize....

Who's next ?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Rookie

a quote from MARTIN ACHTRE

I’m back again at home from the Worlds in South Africa. It was a really well organised event and the track was awesome! I really have to thank my sponsors Team Durango, CS-Electronics and Hoeco. And to say something about the safety of this Worlds, I think no one felt ever unsafe, on and off the track. I enjoyed the time very much in SA, very friendly and helpful people at the track. I will never forget this event!

to all of u guys that didnt enter
Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Default South Africa

you know.. the funny part about all of this. is NOOOO ONE thought about the fact that we are hosting world class events in south africa, i am talking about Soccer, Cricket, Rugby, Formula 1.. i mean really.. the RC race community is so small NO ONE EVEN KNEW about the worlds.. the fact that about of RC manu' racers think there life is so important that they will be targeted is amazing..

people GET A GRIP this is 2009.. i have what you have in this country and its safe..

we as South Africans Sit an laugh at the ignorace displayed by people in the "first world countries" IE US UK ect.

do you think this country has roaming mobsters walking in the street..

cmon people
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Last point

This is the last thing i will say.. as i feel arguing this point with people that do not know any better is a worthless cause.

i get the distinct feeling that all this negativity comes from a bunch of low self esteemed little boys that never made anything significant of themselves in life, that have now reduced to playing with little toy cars. that think they are so important that they will be targeted.

the crime is there because people want money(just like everywhere else in the world) people don’t just go around shooting and mugging people.

I will bet my bottom dollar that you could ask absolutely every single person that attended the worlds if there was any incidents.. ANY.. I will assure you the answer will be NO.. and its not like they were followed by a security detail either.

Thats it!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Dont forget we are little boys who play with toy cars and occasionally get bowling trophies. The bowling trophy part is very important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.