R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Jammin SCRT10 Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/317104-jammin-scrt10-thread.html)

Racecrafter 05-04-2010 03:22 PM

Having already missed two JBRL's, the cost, getting home at midnight or later on Monday morning, plus I wanted to concentrate on Vegas..... Yep that sums it up why I didn't go.

Call you in a little bit.

team green 05-04-2010 03:48 PM

Check this out!

http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Vo...perience+2+Pro

snrscion 05-04-2010 04:50 PM

that look like a 540 can with 3mm shaft. It won't last in 4x4 shortcourse.

CSaddict 05-04-2010 04:59 PM

I just cancelled my Trinity order after thinking about it being a 3mm shaft. I will just run a 540 till something better comes along.

SaladFork 05-04-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by CSaddict (Post 7360509)
I just cancelled my Trinity order after thinking about it being a 3mm shaft. I will just run a 540 till something better comes along.

There is something better, it's called the Novak HV or Speed Passion R's. ;)

stfitzgerald 05-04-2010 06:13 PM

http://www.neumotors.com/Site/1500_series.html

I ordered a 1506 1y 5500kv 5mm shaft
I will keep everyone posted on how it does.

CSaddict 05-04-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by SaladFork (Post 7360808)
There is something better, it's called the Novak HV or Speed Passion R's. ;)

I emailed the guy on Ebay about the Speed Passion motors but he never got back to me. If I need to wait a month to get it I might was well wait for the Ballistic.

russp 05-04-2010 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ready to go

SaladFork 05-04-2010 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by CSaddict (Post 7360939)
I emailed the guy on Ebay about the Speed Passion motors but he never got back to me. If I need to wait a month to get it I might was well wait for the Ballistic.

Kraf has one, actually he had two but just sold the 3.5R... I got one from King Golden in about 10 days. They are around, and shipping on Ebay took 12 days. :nod:

Nothing different about the ballistic over the HV minus you can get a new stator. If your to that point, might as well get a new motor.

Racecrafter 05-04-2010 07:30 PM

Because it's 3mm? Oh man...!

This is a great motor. We tested them for Fantom. (The 6.5 is as fast as a 4.5HV!)

Epic stated that there were only just a couple of each in stock and when those were gone they were not bringing any more in. Then ROAR released their rules for the 540 so we really switched gears.

If Epic is changing their minds about re importing the Duo 550 we will be all over it for the non-ROAR events. :)

stfitzgerald 05-04-2010 07:38 PM

I have read that a neu 1409 1/y is a good motor also.

8ight-racer 05-04-2010 07:58 PM

I just noticed that I bent 2 dogbones, a left front slightly bent and a right rear that was bend horribly. Am I the only person having these problems? I didnt even use a high power motor.

Arigato 05-04-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by stfitzgerald (Post 7361406)
I have read that a neu 1409 1/y is a good motor also.

I really like mine!:nod:

SaladFork 05-04-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer (Post 7361501)
I just noticed that I bent 2 dogbones, a left front slightly bent and a right rear that was bend horribly. Am I the only person having these problems? I didnt even use a high power motor.

I had a front CVD pop out today my last lap at the track. Popped out going for one more glory jump and nailed the pipe when I landed. Never bent a dog bone though... I have heard of it happening. I actually have two extra sets of the CVD's as spares, I never dropped them in the rears, the stock dogs have worked great.

imustbenuts 05-04-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer (Post 7361501)

Check to see if the dog bones press against the diff drive cups when at full droop and full compression. I had to add up travel limiters to the shock shafts to stop them from fully compressing and adjust the rear droop screws. It was bending the diff drive cups and eating the dog bone by the end ball. I would assume it was just a matter of time before I bent the dog bones or broke them. All is good now and still plenty of shock.

marksp 05-04-2010 08:43 PM

SCRT10 w/Slash 4x4 front bumper mod

So, here are a few pictures showing the Slash 4x4 front bumper mod. The parts required are:

- Slash 4x4 front bumper
- Jammin' CRT.5 front bumper mount
- (2) 3x12mm flat head screws

First step is to dremel off the Slash bumper to chassis tab. Then drill or ream 3mm holes in Slash bumper compression ring to match the CRT.5 screw locations. Mate Slash bumper to CRT.5 mount using SCRT10 3x10mm screws. Connect bumper to shock tower with SCRT10 3x18mm screws. Use the (2) 3x12mm flat heads to mount bumper skid to chassis. Done.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...iumWebview.jpg

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...rgeWebview.jpg

Crawler 05-04-2010 08:54 PM

Sacrilege!:eek:

SaladFork 05-04-2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by marksp (Post 7361763)
So, here are a few pictures showing the Slash 4x4 front bumper mod. The parts required are:

- Slash 4x4 front bumper
- Jammin' CRT.5 front bumper mount
- (2) 3x12mm flat head screws

First step is to dremel off the Slash bumper to chassis tab. Then drill or ream 3mm holes in Slash bumper compression ring to match the CRT.5 screw locations. Mate Slash bumper to CRT.5 mount using SCRT10 3x10mm screws. Connect bumper to shock tower with SCRT10 3x18mm screws. Use the (2) 3x12mm flat heads to mount bumper skid to chassis. Done.

A guy last weekend at the track showed me this mod, so far looks like the best one. I couldn't wait to order the parts (hit the track today) so I did the SC10 bumper mod, worked great. Not as pretty as yours though... I will do this one for the back up truck. Where you at TRCR last weekend?

http://i43.tinypic.com/vredfm.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/a26wdg.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/t672ww.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/iqblnk.jpg

8ight-racer 05-04-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by imustbenuts (Post 7361740)
Check to see if the dog bones press against the diff drive cups when at full droop and full compression. I had to add up travel limiters to the shock shafts to stop them from fully compressing and adjust the rear droop screws. It was bending the diff drive cups and eating the dog bone by the end ball. I would assume it was just a matter of time before I bent the dog bones or broke them. All is good now and still plenty of shock.

Yep, that is the problem. Checked the dog bones and there is material coming off from where it hits the drive cup. What size limiters did you use for the front and rear shocks?

1 center drive cup bent, 1 front and 1 rear drive cup bent, 2 driveshafts bent, so much for great out of the box.

KThatcher 05-04-2010 10:49 PM

Can the Tekin RS handle the novak 4.5 HV??

russp 05-04-2010 11:14 PM

Where did you get the Hart & huntington graffix?

lbckevin 05-05-2010 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by russp (Post 7362283)
Where did you get the Hart & huntington graffix?

its an Upgrade RC wrap.

Upgrade-rc.com

rcjunky10 05-05-2010 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by KThatcher (Post 7362204)

I personally would not pair that ESC with that motor as the HV's draw a ton of current. The RS is only rated to handle up to a 5T BL setup and while our HV's are slightly higher turn equivalents they are ravenous power junkie's. So spend the extra $$$ and get the Pro, lower internal resistance and capable of running any BL motor. Install either a second power cap or one of these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...uF-All-Units-2

I personally run this setup and it is super smooth with 0 heat issues.

ShortCourseOnly 05-05-2010 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by KThatcher (Post 7362204)

The Tekin RS would handle the HV4.5 just fine. I just tested my Jammin last night for the first time. I am using a Havoc 3s ESC rated at 120amps/phase and is considered compatible by Novak. I had no issues with the ESC in regards to heat. This ESC has a larger capacitor like the Havoc Pro so make sure you consider this. I would not be surprised to see the Havoc Spec with a larger capacitor work with this motor. You can't compare the 540 ratings with the 550 motors. The winding resistance of a 550 is higher than most 540 motors. Therefore a 10th scale ESC rated for a 5T motor would handle lower turn 550 motor. The Havoc 3s supports down to a 8.5t 540 motor for example.

The BEC could not handle my JR 9100S servo with PT and fan running too. So I installed an external BEC to manage the radio equipment. Not one issue with the motor or the ESC. Temps were cool and power was sick. I had to dial my EPA back to 85% to handle the power with the stock 13t pinion.

ShortCourseOnly 05-05-2010 06:29 AM

First Impressions

My initial run of my new Jammin SCRT10 was awesome. My set-up was relatively stock with some of the recommended modifications from this forum.

Bumper:
I drilled out the front bumper support to install longer screws. This seem to help me a lot with bumper issues. I still think my bumper broke at the tab that inserts between the chassis and the front diff case. It's loose for sure and I haven't had time to tear it down. The bumper was still working so I left it.

Turnbuckles:
These turnbuckles are just not capable of handling this model. First lap I popped off a ball cap. I canabilized the upper camber links from a slash to replace the stock links and it works fantastic. I need to free up the balls in the captured ends for the next race to reduce overall stiffness of the steering.

Wheel Hexs:
My next hop-up part will be aluminum wheel hexes. I spun off a wheel and the wheel hex was damaged. Luckly I found all the parts and they still work. I would like the security of the stronger hex.

Suspension Settings:
I left the rear stock. Didn't change anything except the rear body mount height to match my JC Truth body. For the first run I wanted to beat up my old body while I prep the SCRT body. In the front I moved the shock to the upper outermost position and the inner lower location. I changed the droop a bit with the barrel rings on the shock body. Stock 45wt oil on all corners. This truck is so capable. I would like a little more off power high speed steering but I still need to learn how to best drive this monster. Tires would help too. I ran Caliber M3 in front and Caliber M4 in the rear. I was having issues with my glue job and the tires ripping off the wheels. I will be increasing to 50wt oil for sure. I don't see the need for the longer shocks in the front yet. I was not able to run too much do to electronics issues.

Electronics:
So I seem to be the first one to test the Havoc 3s with the HV4.5 motor. Novak states clearly that the new 550 Ballistic motor can be paired with this ESC and the motor specs are the same. I even called Novak to check on this and they supported it. At first I was glitching a lot. I had installed the Novak HV4.5 motor with 13t pinion, Havoc 3s ESC, Spektrum S3000 reciever, JR 9100s servo, AMB PT, and a 30mm fan. The ESC is directly soldered to the motor (14 guage wire) and the battery leads have bullet connectors for direct connection. The steering was a bit stiff so the servo was working some. I noticed that the PT LED was fluctuating in brightness. So I installed an external BEC and calibrated it to 6 volts. Then I was having ESC reset issues so it seemed. I reality it was the receiver. Swapped out the receiver for my S300 for the main and I was perfect finally. I didn't have a chance to measure the motor temps but on an indoor high bite track with a temp over 70 degrees the motor was warm to the touch after 10 minutes. The ESC was less than 100 deg so I am super happy with this set-up. Novak stated that the internal BEC should handle this. I have not tested the BEC with the new S300 receiver yet. It may have been the receiver that couldn't handle it since it distributes the current to the radio gear. I will try this to see if I can eliminate the external BEC.

Overall:
I love this truck so far. I have been wanting to enter the 4x4 SCT class since the Slayer was released. I am glad I waited for the Jammin SCRT10 cause it is very easy to set-up and with a few changes seems really durable. Our track is very technical and I bashed my truck bad as I was learning to drive it. I am surprised I didn't break more parts. The HV4.5 is definitely the right motor. At 85% I had enough power and hope to increase the EPA little by little to be able to handle full power soon.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this forum. From driving tips to mods and electronics it has helped me greatly. I have read a lot of what people have experienced and tried to implement the best changes. Now I am looking for STRC to release those new parts.

To STRC: Please look at producing a bumper plate like you did for the SC10. I'm real confident that you can improve this design!!!

xxxtruck 05-05-2010 06:33 AM

Just lucked up and won front and rear losi big bore shocks on ebay for 50.00 buy it now. It inculded shipping. What pistons shock springs, and oil should I use?

cbrociuos 05-05-2010 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtruck (Post 7363389)
Just lucked up and won front and rear losi big bore shocks on ebay for 50.00 buy it now. It inculded shipping. What pistons shock springs, and oil should I use?

i got the same deal! mine were the rtr. not sure what pistons but the front are 6 hole ive got 60wt in front feels great. stock oil in rear. red springs all around.:D

8ight-racer 05-05-2010 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by cbrociuos (Post 7363540)
i got the same deal! mine were the rtr. not sure what pistons but the front are 6 hole ive got 60wt in front feels great. stock oil in rear. red springs all around.:D

All Losi pistons are 6-hole, they are rated by how large the holes are. 54 is the biggest, 55 is medium, and 56 is the smallest. They will say it on the piston in small letters.

cbrociuos 05-05-2010 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer (Post 7363583)
All Losi pistons are 6-hole, they are rated by how large the holes are. 54 is the biggest, 55 is medium, and 56 is the smallest. They will say it on the piston in small letters.

thanks, they are stock rtr shocks. i prob wont have them back apart for a while. im pretty happy w/ the feel right now, but when i pull em apart to see if they need topped off ill look for the numbers.:)

CSaddict 05-05-2010 08:40 AM

Im going to run some carpet this Friday with my stock wheels and tires. (dont want to run my M4 calibers donw.) I just mounted them up. What the hell is the point of the beadlock trim ring besides adding weight? Seems silly.

CAK 05-05-2010 08:43 AM

AKA Enduro's

Anyone running the AKA Enduro's? How do you like them? I have a set coming...wondering how they are compared to my Calibers...side bite, forward bite etc.

NovakTwo 05-05-2010 08:50 AM

Please bear with me, guys. Ordinarily, I wouldn't post a chunk of our new press release on a thread, but I thought (because of the esc discussion upthread) that there might be some interest in our new Short Course esc with 8 on-board timing adjustments:

SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR SHORT COURSE

Novak has piled on numerous new features to completely reinvent the Havoc Pro SC. From its smaller case and new cross-cut heat sink to its completely redesigned software, you won’t even recognize it! Among the Havoc Pro SC’s many new features is its Dynamic Timing Advance™. This electronic motor-timing feature has eight adjustable timing settings and increases the motor RPM dynamically throughout the throttle band. The additional RPM, in turn, results in higher speeds and improved speed control performance. Moreover, Novak added a timing indicator LED, which will illuminate white whenever timing is activated. This feature will help aid club racing events that run timing and non-timing events.

To combat overheating while timing advance is activated, Novak has upgraded its Thermal Overload Protection™ feature. If the ESC starts to overheat, the speed control will turn off the timing advance. If ESC’s temperature continues to rise, a second thermal-protection feature will engage. This feature drops the speed control’s power to 25 percent, so drivers can safely maneuver their vehicle off of the track. This refined protection feature is exclusive to Novak’s newest sensored speed controls, like the Havoc Pro SC.

On top of that, Novak is introducing a new temperature indicator that alerts racers of their ESC’s temperature after each run. This indicator is so accurate that many racers use it in place of a temperature gun. A quick tap on the One Touch™ button at the end of a run will display the speed control’s temperature via a blinking LED.

Another feature that originated with Novak’s design team is the patent-pending NovaBrakes™. This revolutionary braking system provides instantaneous braking under any timing condition. Additionally, the brake response is incredibly smooth and immediate at any speed or throttle position, ridding the ESC of brake delay. In short, this new braking system has completely transformed the feel, response and use of traditional brakes.

Combined with the NovaBrakes, Novak has refined the Havoc Pro SC’s brake and drive frequency settings, and added a brake end point adjustment to provide drivers with unparalleled brake and throttle tuning options. The brake and drive frequency settings allow users to experiment with a softer or heartier brake and throttle input.

Additionally, Novak has equipped the Havoc Pro SC with a Hall Sensor Test™. When activated, this test quickly verifies if the sensor harness and sensor in the motor are functioning properly without any risk to the ESC or motor. This Hall Sensor Test is an invaluable tool when troubleshooting at the race track.

CSaddict 05-05-2010 08:57 AM

Alright Captain Novak. I like what I see. What is the release date and what is the ship date on the Ballistic 550's. I am waiting on you. Bring the heat. Get me a combo package priced right with the 550 motor and ship it to RC Madness ASAP!!!

I need a drive train for the race on the 16th of MAY!!!! :nod:

ShortCourseOnly 05-05-2010 09:02 AM

NovakTwo you must be able to read minds or someone listened to my requests!

Thank you!

This is exactly what I am looking for in an ESC. Dynamic timing, temp read-out, two stage thermal protection, and so much more. Awesome.

Will you need to use NovaLink to program it?

The only other questions I have are when will this launch and how much will it cost.

bigend777str 05-05-2010 09:08 AM

Isn't that just a re-labled Kinetic? Point out the differences please. No info online for me/or us, to reference against.

Jared

NovakTwo 05-05-2010 09:13 AM

A few answers:

The Ballistic 550 will ship first in about 10 days---we have major back-orders, not complaining....:D

This new SC esc will be 139.00 (street price). Don't have the systems price or the projected ship date yet. I will start an "Official" thread when I get more details.

(Hint: Press Release posted on RCCA Hot News)

bigend777str 05-05-2010 09:17 AM

No answer to mine?

NovakTwo 05-05-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by bigend777str (Post 7364017)
Isn't that just a re-labled Kinetic? Point out the differences please. No info online for me/or us, to reference against.

Jared

NovaLink is not available, or necessary with this new controller. The top timing adjustment (using our OneTouch™ button) with this Havoc Pro Short Course esc should be equivalent to approximately 50% of the timing range of the Kinetic.

cbrociuos 05-05-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by NovakTwo (Post 7364071)
NovaLink is not available, or necessary with this new controller. The top timing adjustment (using our OneTouch™ button) with this Havoc Pro Short Course esc should be equivalent to approximately 50% of the timing range of the Kinetic.

any chance of getting a price point? sorry missed your first answer post.

bigend777str 05-05-2010 09:30 AM

Video of the combo

Just found this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyQ-XcBi18k

enjoy :D

Jared