Wiki Posts
Search

What RC should i get next?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default What RC should i get next?????

i'm looking to start a new RC project. I'm new to racing, and haven't entered my first race yet...but have done some laps and have taken pictures at 3 races...and i want to start competing!

so...with this mindset...i sold my crawler stuff and my 2 revo's (1/10 and mini). After they sold, i picked up an SC10 to start with.

it's got:
Sc10 rtr Procomp
t4 cvd's
ft front brace
futaba s9350 servo
goosebumps
losi xcerlorin, sensored, 13.5 combo
5000mah 40c Cmax SMC lipo
jconcepts ball cups
FT titanium turnbuckles
heavy duty servo saver spring
30* caster blocks
losi 1* hubs/pins
m11 w/spec mods

so...i think it's done and ready for mod class......cool

i'm buying my g/f and myself a slash this week to run spec/stock class and will run it off a dx2.0 for her and the m11 for me. just gonna do shock caps to it and change the oil to 40wt then tune on it.

so.....those are the ONLY 2 rc's i have now...and they're basically the same thing. What's the next logical step to take? 1/8 buggy? 1/10 4wd buggy? 1/8 truggy? I know it'll be electric.....i loathe some nitro.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
i'm looking to start a new RC project. I'm new to racing, and haven't entered my first race yet...but have done some laps and have taken pictures at 3 races...and i want to start competing!

so...with this mindset...i sold my crawler stuff and my 2 revo's (1/10 and mini). After they sold, i picked up an SC10 to start with.

it's got:
Sc10 rtr Procomp
t4 cvd's
ft front brace
futaba s9350 servo
goosebumps
losi xcerlorin, sensored, 13.5 combo
5000mah 40c Cmax SMC lipo
jconcepts ball cups
FT titanium turnbuckles
heavy duty servo saver spring
30* caster blocks
losi 1* hubs/pins
m11 w/spec mods

so...i think it's done and ready for mod class......cool

i'm buying my g/f and myself a slash this week to run spec/stock class and will run it off a dx2.0 for her and the m11 for me. just gonna do shock caps to it and change the oil to 40wt then tune on it.

so.....those are the ONLY 2 rc's i have now...and they're basically the same thing. What's the next logical step to take? 1/8 buggy? 1/10 4wd buggy? 1/8 truggy? I know it'll be electric.....i loathe some nitro.
i would get a 1/18 buggy electric or nitro depending on your local track rules
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would race what you have first . Its one thing to bash outdoor
with a car, but its a whole different world when it comes to racing.
If you try anything and its run there try 1/10th buggy or stock truck.
Its a big difference in driving style compared to slash racing

Dynodan22
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

What other classes run at your track? 2wd buggy is challanging to drive but my favorite class many cars avalible.Also 4wd is very fast and pretty easy to drive fast too again many car options.!/10th stuff is pretty easy to maintain and electrics are also simlpe to run and maintain.1/8th eletric is coming along well but imo gets a little expensive but also easy to drive very very fast.I guess just checkout what other classes are run.You cant go wrong with any r/c
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2wd Mod Buggy is pretty competitive and big around here (PA/NJ) - such as Team Assoc. B4. Makes you learn to drive and control the throttle and do car setup.

However I've just finished a 1/8 electric buggy conversion (Ofna 9.5) a few weeks ago and it's superfun and easy to drive along with fast. Price-wise, about the highest price racing setup you can get - other than top-end 1/8 Nitro setup. However, if you find a nice 1/8 roller for sale used and find good parts for it, you can do it under $600. Electric 1/8 buggy appears to be a fast-growing class (based on the # of people posting about "new conversions" they have been doing and some tracks adding the class).

If you have a carpet track near you - try that too. 1/12 pan cars are a ton of fun and pretty simple to maintain.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

B4 you say...hmmm
i might lookin to those

i forgot to mention i also have a t4 setup....it's just bascially stock with an LRP 5.1 esc and 24* 27t reedy motor on a 2s. but it's got road wheels/tires on it right now...might try setting it up for something.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you do B4, you can swap some parts with the T4 (some bearings, screws, mounts). They have differences in terms of shocks and mounts, A-arms but the transmission is the same between them (differs from the SC10).

The T4 is a little more forgiving in terms of racing and you can run the Truck (T4) on some tracks where buggy won't run well (like 1/8 scale tracks). The T4 is just too similar to the SC10 that you may want to try the B4 route.

Whatever classes your local tracks offer is best to get you going.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

talked to a buddy...that's sponserd and goes to ALL the races locally, and he suggested 1/8 e-buggy......well, nitro or e. he said there's no one really running 1/10 buggy 2wd..and few that run 4wd buggy. most run slash spec, sct mod, open 2wd, 1/8 truggy, and 1/8 buggy.....so those are my choices.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dynodan22
I would race what you have first . Its one thing to bash outdoor
with a car, but its a whole different world when it comes to racing.
If you try anything and its run there try 1/10th buggy or stock truck.
Its a big difference in driving style compared to slash racing

Dynodan22
I agree 100%. I bashed rc's and raced against friends in parking lots for almost 25 years. Started racing last year and it is sooooo much different than you would think. Even after racing 1:1 cars, it's a whole different ball game with rc's. I will try your t4 in stock truck, run the two sct classes, and when your ready get a 4wd 1/10th buggy to start racing. Those are alot of fun and fast as hell. Just don't get into those very quickly because it takes practice and experience to master those.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I would try stock or super stock truck. There's a great turnout at CRC wednesday nights for this class, not very expensive, and probably the best class to get your head around racing. But I'm a 2wd electric kind of person.

If you have some cash laying around, why not go 8th scale. Nitro or electric would be hella fun. There's a great turnout for both at the Grove. I've heard the Farm 2 has decent 8th scale turnouts as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

even Wilkes had a huge turn out at both tracks.....but most are running nitro, although Jason (RC4ME) won in his 8ight-e lol.

i've got to pick up the slash tomorrow...and then i'm gonna start shopping again
Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

1/8 buggy is what many are running here but it seems its just blistering fast, jump over everyting then wait for the turn marshal.

Try either B44 or B4 both are very fun in there own different ways and both are fast. T4 would be way to similar to sc10. Just my .02