Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Associated B44 weight reduction >

Associated B44 weight reduction

Associated B44 weight reduction

Old 08-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Associated B44 weight reduction

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had some ideas to reduce the weight of my b44. I am running standard kit car with novak gtb/novak 17.5 velociti, ip4800 lipo, spektrum z590 servo, spektrum 3000 receiver and amb pt. The car is about 100 grams overweight and everyone is much lighter than me. I know I can get lighter speedies/motors/servos/screws etc. I am after some recommendations so i get best bang for buck and also how much weight I will save. Cant really believe what info the manufacturers tell me as they reckon the tekin rs weighs more than my gtb and I know this is not the case.

Help please

Thanks
Luke
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I havent seen any one try and loose weight on a b44
Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
I havent seen any one try and loose weight on a b44
ya same here the b44 is already light enough
Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sure is strange, most are required to add weight.

What weight is your B44 coming in at?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi View Post
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had some ideas to reduce the weight of my b44. I am running standard kit car with novak gtb/novak 17.5 velociti, ip4800 lipo, spektrum z590 servo, spektrum 3000 receiver and amb pt. The car is about 100 grams overweight and everyone is much lighter than me. I know I can get lighter speedies/motors/servos/screws etc. I am after some recommendations so i get best bang for buck and also how much weight I will save. Cant really believe what info the manufacturers tell me as they reckon the tekin rs weighs more than my gtb and I know this is not the case.

Help please

Thanks
Luke

You do not need to lose any weight, especially with those Lipos. If anything you will need weight to grip the track on straights & turns. Sometimes more weight can win a race against a lighter competetor.

But I believe the Novak motor is much heavier than a Castle brushless, & If our really desperate take off your wing & undertray.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lagboot View Post
You do not need to lose any weight, especially with those Lipos. If anything you will need weight to grip the track on straights & turns. Sometimes more weight can win a race against a lighter competetor.

But I believe the Novak motor is much heavier than a Castle brushless, & If our really desperate take off your wing & undertray.

+1
Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

1680 grams, so i need to lose around 80 grams
Old 08-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi View Post

Help please

Thanks
Luke
Are you running you're ESC on the same side or opposite as the motor? If you put a Novak GTB on the opposite side of the motor (swap the ESC and receiver from the "stock" recommendation) it balances the car, so weight really doesn't matter. I've never really even weighed my B44, we run an open mod class where weight isn't checked, only size dimensions. Weight isn't a large issue in 4wd mod, just run it the way it is as long as it handles well. If you're car feels lethargic, its probably because you're running a 17.5 :P. Try boosting the timing on the motor.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had to add a little weight to my B44. Running an Orion 10.5 and ESC, a PDS2413ICS servo and a Futaba Fasst rx. and SMC 5000 lipos
Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Mineis a bit of a porker, but the extra weight helps me bump the slow cars out of the way ha ha
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Noah R. View Post
Are you running you're ESC on the same side or opposite as the motor? If you put a Novak GTB on the opposite side of the motor (swap the ESC and receiver from the "stock" recommendation) it balances the car, so weight really doesn't matter. I've never really even weighed my B44, we run an open mod class where weight isn't checked, only size dimensions. Weight isn't a large issue in 4wd mod, just run it the way it is as long as it handles well. If you're car feels lethargic, its probably because you're running a 17.5 :P. Try boosting the timing on the motor.
I already have my car setup like that. It is not a balance issue and the car runs great in mod. I occasionally like to run stock and the car is too heavy to jump the way I like it and also lacks acceleration. Any suggestions for lightweight servos/receivers/esc/motor would be much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are you trying to shed some of the weight on the B44 because of a requirement from a class?

Or is it because it feels heavy during "jumps?" Most jump handling is done through the shocks, but sometimes making it jump-friendly ends up compromising handling while not jumping.

It's a compromise...

So why are you trying to meet 1600 grams?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Yes tom I am trying to shed the weight to comply with stock class rules of 1589 gms + Personal Transponder. Whilst I am over this limit by 100gms and the car handles great. I am also at a disadvantage against other cars that are lighter. They clear our major jump easier and tend to get up to their terminal speed faster. Most other b44's in my class are at least 60 grams lighter which is having an impact. I know I can go up in spring rates/shock oils to make the jumping better but it is the acceleration that is my main problem. Also the track is very bumpy and stiffening up suspension results in poor handling on the rest of the track.

Now dont get me wrong here the b44 is a great car and I am winning races. I just feel that a little weight loss would improve my laptimes and make me more competitive.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

If it's a bumpy track i'd say 60 grams won't matter unless you are a very acomplished and consistent driver, you may be, I don't know.
I'd say suspension set-up abd tyre/insert choice will have a bigger impact. Acceleration is all about traction, especially if it's bumpy.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
If it's a bumpy track i'd say 60 grams won't matter unless you are a very acomplished and consistent driver, you may be, I don't know.
I'd say suspension set-up abd tyre/insert choice will have a bigger impact. Acceleration is all about traction, especially if it's bumpy.
It is a bumpy track and driver has yet to accomplish a major race meeting.

Perhaps the driver could shed 60 kgs, I think that would be a major achievement!