Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my gear mesh good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Am I supposed to take the screw off the spur or anything while doing this?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SirJangly
Am I supposed to take the screw off the spur or anything while doing this?
No need to remove pinion--What you need to do is loosen the 2 screws that hold the motor in place so the motor moves freely-just like you did before. It is easy-After you loosen the screws, the pinion moves freely so you can put the piece of paper or whatever between the pinion/spur gear. Find the high spot in the pinion (give or take) and tighten the screws. The Spur gear should turn with the pinion attached. If the paper tears, punches holes, etc it is too tight. It should just leave teeth marks in the paper. Good luck but it is actually pretty simple. Does not require micrometer, Masters in rocket science or any other tool other than what you use to loosen the motor screws. No stress hey?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

woudl it be a good idea to mark the high spot on the spur gear?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

..don't think it would hurt anything. Only advantage I can see is if/when you replace pinion gears. You could use any one of these posted ideas; they are the easiet, best ways to go.

"the paper trick definately works"- Thanks capturefx, B.A. racer, sLaSh It UPP, Duster_360, T Tom, TRXRustler33. Did I get everybody?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Thanks SirJangly! Totally my mistake: Spur gears are for ex. 83T, 86T, 90T, etc and pinions are the smaller 15,16T-25,26T Wait until you get as old as me-we're talking senile here (Ha)
Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

SirJangly: I'm bad. I gave a procedure for checking pinion/spur mesh NOT removal of spur gears. To remove spur gear: loosen motor screws and remove. There are 3 screws that hold the spur in place and 1 nut and spring in center of slipper clutch. Loosen/remove them and the spur will come off. Look inside of spur and you will see a bearing (believe it is 5x11mm) in center of Spur Gear and slipper clutch pads. Remove the pads but try not to get fingerprints, oil on them and replace inside new or different spur gear w/bearing. Reverse procedure to reinstall, check pinion/spur mesh w/paper, check clutch tension, reinstall gear cover, tire. Check that the tire/wheel spin and you are good to go. Sorry for the wrong diagnosis reinion gears.
Eric