HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

MindThoughts, I hope you do realize your pinion gear is on the wrong way!!
It doesn't look like all of the set screw is on the flat spot.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default drill out shock pistons?

I'm a little confused about the setup that's posted on Nitrohouse. For the front shocks, it says the piston holes are 1.5mm...but for the rear shocks, it says the piston holes are 1.45mm. All the holes on my 4 stock pistons look the same size...?

Did you guys drill out your holes like is says and do you recommend doing this?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Hyper 9e Pictures of General layout and Close Ups.

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
MindThoughts, I hope you do realize your pinion gear is on the wrong way!!
It doesn't look like all of the set screw is on the flat spot.
Yes Darrellx87,
this is teporary until I get my Hot Bodies pinion gears. The HB web page said they were sold out of all the 12tooth, 13tooth, 14tooth and 15tooth. Until I can find someone else that caries the HB pinion gears in those sizes, I will just run the gear as it is. And though dificult to see from the pictured distance, the set screw in the pinion gear is getting a full grasp of the 5mm Mod 1 size, pinion shaft. I do thank you for the warning.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MindThoughts
Yes Darrellx87,
this is teporary until I get my Hot Bodies pinion gears. The HB web page said they were sold out of all the 12tooth, 13tooth, 14tooth and 15tooth. Until I can find someone else that caries the HB pinion gears in those sizes, I will just run the gear as it is. And though dificult to see from the pictured distance, the set screw in the pinion gear is getting a full grasp of the 5mm Mod 1 size, pinion shaft. I do thank you for the warning.
I actually find that the Losi mod pinions fit really well, however can't put them to close or they will be to tight. The ofna pinions were designed to be that way.

I currently use a 16T but may have to go to 15T to be able to have over 10mins of run time while using a big pile of brakes.

I get 9.5 to 12mins just by using brakes.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Yes Darrellx87,
A Main Hobbies has all these HB pinions in stock. I ordered mine yesterday.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I actually find that the Losi mod pinions fit really well, however can't put them to close or they will be to tight. The ofna pinions were designed to be that way.

I currently use a 16T but may have to go to 15T to be able to have over 10mins of run time while using a big pile of brakes.

wow,that's not very long. what batteries are you using?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by reracer
wow,that's not very long. what batteries are you using?
It is for 2300mah 6S life= 5S lipo

Oh and im always on power or brakes, 10-13 mins is plenty of time, each tooth I go down will increase run time, im already 2T above stock, I also don't cut any power from the motor.

On road speed runs gets me 28minutes, while dirt constantly gassing and brake gets me 10-14ish

2000KV Truggy motor
5K-3K-1K diff oils
16T Pinion gear
6S LiFe (5S Lipo) 2300mah= 4500mah lipo
temps- 100esc, 120 motor, 140 batteries

I probably should run 14T Pinion, and take my positive throttle curve off lol
I mean its more than linear thats for sure lol probably need negative

Last edited by xDaRReLLx87; 05-24-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default I just placed my order for my HOT BODIES 1/8 scale pinion gears, thank you.

Originally Posted by sickwitit
A Main Hobbies has all these HB pinions in stock. I ordered mine yesterday.
Thank you very much for mentioning this to me. I placed my order with A Main Hobbies right after reading your message to me that they had the HB pinions in stock. But I certainly wasn't planning on spending $120.oo dollars on parts. $50.oo of that was on Hot Bodies pinion gears. I ordered a 12t, 13t, 15t, 17t, 19t, and a wopping 26t because one day I'm going to, for the fun of it, try to see if this little buggy (Hyper 9e) can do 100 miles per hour. I'll be using two three cell 50c Lipo's in series to power up that mad fast Neu/Castle 2650 kv, 1Y.

PS. As for anyone running the 1515 1Y truggy motor in their buggies, my smaller, little bit lighter 1512 1Y has never had any heat issues and has always been way too fast, if needed. Instead of going larger, I'm going to test smaller with the Neu/Castle 1409 1Y 3600kv, with a 13tooth pinion.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Thank you very much for mentioning this to me. I placed my order with A Main Hobbies right after reading your message to me that they had the HB pinions in stock. But I certainly wasn't planning on spending $120.oo dollars on parts. $50.oo of that was on Hot Bodies pinion gears. I ordered a 12t, 13t, 15t, 17t, 19t, and a wopping 26t because one day I'm going to, for the fun of it, try to see if this little buggy (Hyper 9e) can do 100 miles per hour. I'll be using two three cell 50c Lipo's in series to power up that mad fast Neu/Castle 2650 kv, 1Y.

PS. As for anyone running the 1515 1Y truggy motor in their buggies, my smaller, little bit lighter 1512 1Y has never had any heat issues and has always been way too fast, if needed. Instead of going larger, I'm going to test smaller with the Neu/Castle 1409 1Y 3600kv, with a 13tooth pinion.
The smallest pinion you can fit on a Hyper 9e with the Elite mount is a 16t. anything smaller will not fit.

On a stock motor mount...the smallest is a 15t...why would you buy the other pinions...?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Elite-RC Motor Mount. Smallest Pinion with 1512 1Y vs. 1409 1Y smooth can motor.

Originally Posted by lbckevin
The smallest pinion you can fit on a Hyper 9e with the Elite mount is a 16t. anything smaller will not fit.

On a stock motor mount...the smallest is a 15t...why would you buy the other pinions...?
Hi IBCKevin,

I'll be running a 17tooth pinion with the 1512 1Y motor, which for me, was always the perfect gear no matter the size of the track, Just changed the battery from two cell to three cell if the track was huge like Revelation Raceway.

Question, my understanding of the motor mount is that it's not the mount that stops the smaller pinion from being used, but the motor itself that bumps into the outdrive shaft, where the center drive axle goes into the center diff. The Motor I just ordered For Steve Neu to Hand Make has a 36mm(smooth, no fins) Can(motor diameter), same diamter motor as the Novak High Voltage Motors. With That motor, I would be able to run at least a 12tooth Pinion(or at least much smaller than a 16t pinion). I guess the question should be, what's the smallest pinion anyone has ever been able to put on their Novak HV motor(with a Hyper 9e and the Elite-RC Motor Mount). Because the Novak HV Motor has the same diameter Can as the 1400 series Neu motors(smooth can only/no fins), which is what I'll be running in six weeks when I get my Neu/Caslte motor delivered. I say Neu/Castle because I ordered it on Castles web site. It only cost me $149.oo(3600rmp, thus the 13 or 14tooth pinion requirement). It's the motor meant(tested by Castle) for the Slash 4x4, but both Thomas and Greg at Castle Creations Tech Support said it should work great in my Hyper 9e, being that it's a very light 1/8th scale and I plan to run 2cell or three cell LiPo or Lithium iron Phosphate(MaxAmps Green Series)at the most on big tracks. Your thoughts IBCKevin?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

WIth the Elite mount...the smallest that fits is a 16t. The Mblox does not allow it to slide any closer to the spur gear.

With the stock mount and a smaller can you could fit a 14t with a Novak HV size. I have run this buggy since the first week it came out and tried just about everything.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WIth the Elite mount...the smallest that fits is a 16t. The Mblox does not allow it to slide any closer to the spur gear.

With the stock mount and a smaller can you could fit a 14t with a Novak HV size. I have run this buggy since the first week it came out and tried just about everything.
My current setup is a losi 2100kv motor with a 14 tooth pinion, and the motor does not touch the outdrive. I think it's a 39mm can motor, and I thiink I have enough room to go to a 13. With a 36mm can motor a 12 tooth pinion is totally possible.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Hyper 9e. Why did you buy one? First Impressions. What you like about it. Everything!

Yes, I understand. I was just looking at the motor mount.

well, all I can say is thank you for the information. You really helped me realize something I would have eventually learned, but the sooner the better.

I really like the Elite Motor mount and I'm not willing to run the original motor mount just to go smaller on the pinion. the fact of the matter is, the 1512 1Y motor has always been good to me with the 17tooth pinion on it. I was just interested in trying a different motor. I'm going back to the drawing board. I want to put a lighter motor in my buggy. I'm cutting weight in every possible way I can. that was the original motivation for the 1409 motor I wanted to put in the Hyper 9e. Good thing I'm planning to buy a slash 4x4, this way I'll have something to put that 1409 1Y in. if I ran that 3600rpm motor in my Hyper 9e with a 16tooth pinion, it would just have way to much speed and wouldn't be any fun to drive. Castle did make it clear to me that I would have to run a 13 or 14tooth pinion gear in my Hyper 9e if I was going to run that 1409 1Y 3600rpm motor. that's just way to many rpm for a 16tooth pinion gear, don't you think IBCKevin? What motors have you used? did you try running a Novak HV and flipping your front and rear diffs to get the direction the correct way? I got tired of Novak ESC's burning up on me, and I mean flames, and spinning the Rotors loose from the magnet on the motor. But I still have a brand new HV 4.5 just sitting there on my shelf. I could run that with a LRP sphere or even a Mamba Max Pro, I just don't really want to run an external BEC that the MMP requires, at least that's my understanding of the MMP. IBCkevin, have you ever tried the Neu motors? I mean Steve Neu, not castle creations? do you like those motors? if not, why? also, just curious; why did you get a Hyper 9e, what reasons did you buy the car, did you try/test one first and then like it. what was your first impressions when you first saw, and then drove the Hyper 9e, and do you believe without question that it's the most simple 1/8th scale RC to work on(why) and simplest design and best handleing and best balanced and all around just the best buggy made to date(why do you think it's the best, if you do think it's the best)? I sure do. Your Thoughts IBCkevin?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Losi Pinion Gear Set Screws Too Small for Comfort vs. Robinson Racing and Hot Boddies

Unless Losi has finally changed their set screw size, My experience has been that the Losi Set screws they use in their Pinion gears is very small, or at least smaller than the Robinson Racing and Hot Bodies gears(and smaller than all the other pinions gear set screws I've used). I like to be able to use a larger allen tool/driver to loosen and tighten the screw. the losi uses a much smaller allen and I'm always concerned it's going to break my allen or just strip the screw. I've stopped using the Losi pinion gears for that reason. I don't know the size difference, but the losi set screws are at least one size smaller, and thus use a smaller allen tool as well. I like to tighten those set screws firm, and not worry about breaking my tool or stripping the allen or set screw. I don't know why losi chose the smaller size set screw when it seems all other pinion gear set screws use a larger set screw and also a larger allen tool to tighten and loosen said set screw.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Well Well Well, Let There Be Light! Thank You ReRacer!

Originally Posted by reracer
My current setup is a losi 2100kv motor with a 14 tooth pinion, and the motor does not touch the outdrive. I think it's a 39mm can motor, and I thiink I have enough room to go to a 13. With a 36mm can motor a 12 tooth pinion is totally possible.
I have a 2100kv Losi motor as well, but it's in my wifes losi 1.0, yeah she loves crashing into people that pass her, so you better watch out. Good thing West Coast RC doesn't allow anyone without Sportsman Experience on the track with a 1/8th scale. I want to get her a slash 4x4, but ever sense she drove the losi she's crazy about it. I thought it was better to give her the losi then to lose a bundle of cash trying to sell it, and I was just letting it sit.

ReRacer,
Thank you for mentioning your experience with your Elite-RC motor mount. Wait, are you using the Elite-RC motor mount? just for clarification. would you let me know. My guess would be that you are using the Elite-RC motor mount. Please confirm reracer. thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.