Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-released Vintage Tamiyas

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is anyone here familiar with the Fire Dragon/Thundershot type of transmission assembly?

Last night, I finished up both transmissions and what seemed odd were the two outdrives that slide into the differential assembly. Seems a little loose and so I was wondering if it's supposed to snap into place? Right now, the only thing preventing it from sliding out are the dog bones. Even then, there's a bit of play in the dog bones so the outdrives can slide out a bit.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Bumping it out of the noise floor...

Does anyone know?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

I guess no one knows about the outdrive issue with the Fire Dragon/Thundershot?

Well, here's a new question on the ESC that came with this kit, the Tamiya TEU-101BK. There's a extra pair of leads that is supposed to go to the receiver's battery port. Is this necessary? I thought that the ESC's power was directly drawn by the battery wires and the power is fed forward into the receiver through the receiver connectors on the ESC?

Does anyone here have much experience with this ESC? Also, what's the motor limit of this ESC?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The TEU101-BK does not have BEC circuitry -- it draws its power through that little pair of leads. You can plug it into the receiver, but if your receiver doesn't have BEC either it will then supply full battery voltage to the receiver and ESC instead of the 6.0V they're supposed to get. Most receivers these days don't have BEC since pretty much every ESC does.

That being said, I ran this way (no BEC) in my Mini Cooper for a long time with no ill effects.

That ESC isn't good for much more than a black can (Sport Tuned).
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

reenmachine, thanks for your response. I think I understand what you are saying. Do you know what the specs are of the "Sports Tuned" motor that Tamiya makes? Is this a 19T modified?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
reenmachine, thanks for your response. I think I understand what you are saying. Do you know what the specs are of the "Sports Tuned" motor that Tamiya makes? Is this a 19T modified?
There's actually some debate about this as the specs have changed over the years and for different countries, but it was always either 23T or 27T. The general consensus now (last I checked) is that it's basically a 27T silver can with advanced timing.

If you don't know about this site, it's a great source for Tamiya knowledge, both vintage and current:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/
Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Pete, I've been checking that site quite often. My only problem is, the forum usage and everything else requires subscription ($$$).

I just pulled off the servo connector from the 4xAA-Cell cradle that came with my Airtronics radio set and carefully slid out the plugs on the "battery" plug of the TEU-101BK and replaced the receptacle with the Airtronics one. As you guessed it, I"m using an Airtronics receiver, and the battery plug that is defaultly on the TEU-101BK doesn't fit into there.

I appreciate all the help. Attached are the pictures of my Fire Dragon, completed, I hope you and others on this board enjoy it. Well, completed up to this point. The only thing left to do is replace the Tamiya connector with the Duratrax Powerpoles (all my packs uses this connector) and setup the ESC after I fire it up for the first time (pardon the pun).

Attached Thumbnails Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-my-fd-1.jpg   Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-my-fd-2.jpg   Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-my-fd-3.jpg   Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-my-fd-4.jpg   Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-my-fd-5.jpg  

Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Very nice! Good luck!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go to your local Wal-Mart and look in the toy section for "Micro Terrain Titans." They're ultra micro r/c versions of the old Tamiya buggies for $18! I got myself a micro Hornet the other day. They have working rear suspension and sort-of working front suspension and replica tires and rims. and the cars are about an inch or inch and a half in length. You can get the Hornet, Grasshopper, Avante, Frog, Boomerang, HotShot, Fox, and Rough Rider.

I'll throw up some pics of mine later today.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Sweet, I'm gonna look for some of those. I know they had them in Japan looking at some of the youtube videos of the review. Apparently, this idea came out of a partnership with Choro-Q, the makers of those miniature, pull-back and let it go cars (I had a bunch of them as a kid). Seems like a perfect opportunity to get a desktop Tamiya!

Found some off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+titan&x=0&y=0

You gotta love those classic Tamiya spoiler quotes:

Avante - "Being Nuts is Neat"

hahaha. A while ago, I started a thread for people to post their favorite. Perhaps people can do it again on this one.... My other favorite one is the Hornet one:

Hornet - "Anytime Baby"
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's the pics:

Old 05-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Just saw on tamiyablog.com, they are re-releasing the Rough Rider/Buggy Champ

old skool!!

www.tamiyablog.com
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stitchy
Just saw on tamiyablog.com, they are re-releasing the Rough Rider/Buggy Champ

old skool!!

www.tamiyablog.com
Oh, awesome. My buddy's older brother had one when I was a kid and he would never let us drive it.

I will certainly get one of these to go with my faithful re-re Frog and run the crap out of it.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hope they have retro fitted something other than the hex drives, I had a blackfoot and was lucky to get 2 weeks from them.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bllski
I hope they have retro fitted something other than the hex drives, I had a blackfoot and was lucky to get 2 weeks from them.
They did on the re-re Frog so I assume they will do it on the others as well. They addressed the major reliability weak points without losing the flavor of the original.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.