Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-released Vintage Tamiyas

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a Tamiya Super Sabre and a Blackfoot when I was growing up. My parents threw them out after I moved out and didn't take them with me. I didn't really care about r/c at the time. I regret it now. I thought my blackfoot was so cool because i had the thorp differential and I never had to worry about losing those dogbones.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have a re-re Frog and love it! As a kid I started with a Grasshopper, then moved on to a Wild One, Fox, and a 4WD BigWig. I never had a Frog but always wanted one, and the re-re was the perfect thing. I have bashed the crap out of it!

A while back I paid a bunch of $ for a NIB original Hornet, with the intention to build it. I couldn't bring myself to do it and sold it for a bunch of $.

The re-res are perfect for that...you can have the nostalgia without worrying about wrecking something irreplaceable.

Oh, I just run the Frog with the kit Mabuchi motor. It's plenty fun. If I want to go fast I'll use one of my modern cars.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Tom, my sentiments exactly. For me it was the Wild Willy and Boomerang.

While I got the Wild Willy 2 "for old time's sake," I'm a little hesitant to get a Boomerang, build it and then let it sit on a shelf.

As I quickly learned with the WW2, bashing on the street isn't as fun as it was when we were kids. Having said that, I have the Slash for street mayhem...

You going to OCRC Saturday? We can talk old skool Tamiyas then...
I'm gonna definitely try to make it. Missed last week cause I was busy. I just have to redo the shock fluid in my shocks and I can bring the DF-03 to the track. I bought a new set of treads and rims for my B44, but lately, I've been on this Tamiya fever so my B44 has been seriously neglected...

My B44 needs an almost-total-teardown, I haven't done that since 5 or 6 visits to the track. I think the bearings and the diffs are getting super gritty.

It's so weird, even though the B44 has given me the least amount of hassle, I'm really into my Tamiya's DF-03. I have to fix or adjust something on my DF-03 almost every pack, whereas the B44, all I do is tighten the wheel nuts and brush off the dirt on the shock shafts between each batt...

stitchy, where do you usually pit at OCRC? I usually pit near the counter, about 2 rows down from it....

Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

I don't have a favorite spot, usually wherever there's room. I'll be there with Jeff from Speedtech. He'll be testing out his new 8ight-e and I'll be going back and forth between on-road and off-road.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Oh, I just run the Frog with the kit Mabuchi motor. It's plenty fun. If I want to go fast I'll use one of my modern cars.
The also run for YEARS on the new batteries, and speedos. We where lucky to get 10min in the old days, now when I am old I get tired of standing go sit in the shade and have a cold one.

Your own off road track in your back yard and an old Tamiya car running around it....life don't get much better.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherokee
The also run for YEARS on the new batteries, and speedos. We where lucky to get 10min in the old days, now when I am old I get tired of standing go sit in the shade and have a cold one.

Your own off road track in your back yard and an old Tamiya car running around it....life don't get much better.
Check it out -- my mom was going through some old stuff and found one of my old nicd packs. Must be from mid- to late-80s sometime. "Parma Matched Sanyos"

Funny thing is, I cycled it a few times and can still get like 5 min. out of it in the Frog!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Do many of the Tamiya 4wd use the same hex/lug pattern and offset? The reason why I ask is I was wondering if the Hotshot rims can be used on say, a Fire Dragon (with the right hex adapter).

I know that if you slap on the hex adapter of the DF-03's onto the Fire Dragon, you can use DF-03 rims on it. Actually, it's recommended towards the end of their instruction manual in the "hopup" section.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the Tshot/FD/TD etc use triangle hub adapters

R
Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, that's what I was trying to address. Even though those buggies used those triangle hex adapters, you can mount a more modern DF-03 hex adapter and use the DF-03 rims. Was wondering if that was true for the other vintage line up such as the Hotshot...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Adapters that allow you to mount modern wheels are available for the Hotshot/Boomerang.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

I bought myself a Boomerang.

Even put up a bit about the boomerang on my site.

http://rcoffroad.co.nz/boomerang.html

Impressions, slow, heavy, badly balanced, over built/designed yet still weak.

Sounds crap

But she is great fun to drive and with a 23 RZ motor gets around the track no worries. In fact its far more fun to drive then a modern car with a similar motor, Though ones you get into anything faster there is no comparison.

My oldest son (4.5 years) has claimed it has his own, And out of my 7 Off road rc cars its the only one that has taken his fancy and that he will drive until the battery runs out.Normally he gets distracted after a few minutes and just ditches the transmitter....
Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

What really is the difference between the boomerang and the hotshot? Seems like the boomerang is an updated version of the hotshot chassis, since it uses two shocks in the rear instead of the mono shock that the hotshot does in the rear suspension...

I think one of the best part of these vintage rides from Tamiya are the bodies that it comes with. It is sooo stylish. Hell, I remember the days when AE used to throw driver figurine in their kits, I had one in my RC10CE kit...

The bodies on today's buggies are pretty cool looking, but it doesn't feel the same as these vintage Tamiya bodies. Many of the looks of the Tamiya vintage buggies made it seem like such buggies can exist in full scale (well, except for the Thunder/Fire/Saint/Super Dragon stuff, those are some comic book stuff!).

Currently, as I am waiting for my Fire Dragon kit to arrive, I finished up the paint job on the extra Fire Dragon body I bought for my modern Tamiya, the DF-03. The sticker and decal job I did leaves more to be desired, but the PS-2 Red color from Tamiya is a very rich colored Red...

Just trying to figure the best way to mount this on my DF-03 now. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Here's some photos hot off the camera. Like I said, the decal leaves more to be desired. The red is the PS-2 Tamiya Red for Polycarb. It is a very nice shade IMO...
Attached Thumbnails Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-fire-dragon-1.jpg   Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-fire-dragon-2.jpg   Re-released Vintage Tamiyas-fire-dragon-3.jpg  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Metla
I bought myself a Boomerang.

Even put up a bit about the boomerang on my site.

http://rcoffroad.co.nz/boomerang.html

Impressions, slow, heavy, badly balanced, over built/designed yet still weak.

Sounds crap

But she is great fun to drive and with a 23 RZ motor gets around the track no worries. In fact its far more fun to drive then a modern car with a similar motor, Though ones you get into anything faster there is no comparison.

My oldest son (4.5 years) has claimed it has his own, And out of my 7 Off road rc cars its the only one that has taken his fancy and that he will drive until the battery runs out.Normally he gets distracted after a few minutes and just ditches the transmitter....

Metla, awesome little blog of the Boomerang. The body on the Boomerang is really growing on me...

Do any of you take these vintage re-re Tamiya to the track at all? Are these re-re tough enough to handle the crazy motorcross-style tracks that we have in the US?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the Super Sabre I had was the same as the Boomerang except for the body and the colors. The Super Sabre was more futuristic and had red shocks and parts instead of the blue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.