Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to electric

Ok im in a predicament here, raced nitro 8th scale for about a year and got out of the hobby due to school.

out of school now and looking to get back into r/c but going for electric offraod, more specifically a b44.

All i have is a tx/rx atm.
And in about a month the hobby shop near me is having a big race and im looking at the mod 4wd electric class. After talking to shop owner he informed me that most people go with brushless setups there.

I guess what i want to know is what is a good setup to get back into the hobby with, that could compete in this bracket on the b44 chassis.

sorry for the scatterbraind'ness.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R3dphas3
Ok im in a predicament here, raced nitro 8th scale for about a year and got out of the hobby due to school.

out of school now and looking to get back into r/c but going for electric offraod, more specifically a b44.

All i have is a tx/rx atm.
And in about a month the hobby shop near me is having a big race and im looking at the mod 4wd electric class. After talking to shop owner he informed me that most people go with brushless setups there.

I guess what i want to know is what is a good setup to get back into the hobby with, that could compete in this bracket on the b44 chassis.

sorry for the scatterbraind'ness.
Did the race director specify a limit on motors? What's your budget like? You'll likely need batteries as well. How about the track, is it large, small, technical?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Rookie

He did not specicify any limit on motors, he just said brushless modified. Id link the flyer but i dont have enough posts yet: It reads: "4wd Mod"

budget is flexible: roughly $500-$600

I would need:
Motor
ESC
Batteries (how many, i dunno)
pinion and maybe another set of tires
a charger

track is being redone for the race but its most likely to be smallish and somewhat technical.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I personally ran a GTB w/ 6.5 in my B44, on a medium size track, I also ran a SMC 7.4 2S Lipo Saddle Pack (had 2 of them). I don't remember the pinion I was using, but I want to say a 14 or 15.

I also use a Hyperion 0610i DUO charger (about $275), but I run 1/8 scale electric, and fly heli's.

There are cheaper chargers out there, but the one I have is one of the best. I know people that ran Mamba Max ESC and a 4600 or 5700kv motor, depending on track.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the Tekin RS Pro system, it has lots of different settings that can be changed easily on the ESC or you can also plug it into the computer and tune it VIA the Hotwire. You can also tell the temp of the esc by looking at how many lights are lit up at the end of the run. The motor timing is also adjustable on the Tekin motors.

For batteries I like the SMC lipos.

For a charger I have an Ofna Digi Peak Predict 3 Charger that has an internal power supply and can be either plugged into the wall or be hooked up to your car battery. It should be around $140.00.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

i guess im looking for the cheapest way to get back into the sport and still be competive without going broke.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sphere comp esc- new 200$ used 125$

novak or orion 7.5- 79$

1-smc 5200 24c lipo- 70$

turnagy lipo charger/balancer- 55$

16-18 tooth 48pitch pinion- couple of dollars each

pyramid 20amp power supply- 50$