Wiki Posts
Search

Sidewinder vs. Max ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AiR2k
Hey, small question:

I have Sidewinder esc, what other motors could I run with it than Castle's own?

Would it handle Speed Passion Competition 6.5r V2? I know Castle recommends not to run higher kv's than their 5700kv, but if I would run it on 5 cells NiMH instead of 6 and maybe get a fan?

Specs:
# New motor can design, which enhance faster gear ration setting
# Light weight, imporve balance on 1/12 on road and 1/10 on road racing
# new high torque copper wire design with more botton end, more run time
# 3 optional timing advance positions
# New color Titanium Grey!!

# Recommended Gearing:
# 6 cell 9.2 to 10.0
# Size: 540
# Turn: 6.5R
# Watts: 550
# Kv3 (RPM/volt): 6800
# Shaft Diam (MM): 3.175
# Rotor Performs (ROM/temp): High/High
# Hand Wound: Yes
# Thermal Protection: Yes
Answering to myself:
I think there is something wrong with these specs, those watts can't be right. The 6.5r did feel about as powerful as Castle's 5700kv. I tried it on 5 and 6cells and the 5cells is better for tight "indoor offroad" tracks. 6 cells gives that crazy power as my original Castle's 5700kv.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blade Bomber
I run a sidewinder with 4600kv motor with 6cell nimh and is great my bro had a mamba max and power output is the same with a 4600 only major difference is the MM handles the 7700kv which is way to much for any usable racing and will handle more lipos

For the price of the Sidewinder you cant beat it even the Mamba Max is priced very well alot better priced then LRP or Novak

Mine seams to have a dead spot on the lowend like quarter or 1/8th throttle anybody else have this problem or is this normal with these systems
Someone else can chime in here if I am wrong, but I believe the max due to its having more fets and what not is actually going to send more power to the motor than the sidewinder. Same thing with the novak GTB or XBR, both will run a 13.5 but the GTB is sending more to it. The max will handle a higher amp draw in other words. Running a 2wd buggy or truck you probably wouldn't notice as much as in a sedan or 4wd buggy where you are drawing more power. I had the 6900kv for 2wd truck, it was fun but really hard to handle consistantly, went to the 4600kv and haven't looked back. That is one sweet motor IMO.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Choice really depends on what you are going to use it for! Ive got sidewinder 5700 and its great in the lazer.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lenman73
Someone else can chime in here if I am wrong, but I believe the max due to its having more fets and what not is actually going to send more power to the motor than the sidewinder. Same thing with the novak GTB or XBR, both will run a 13.5 but the GTB is sending more to it. The max will handle a higher amp draw in other words. Running a 2wd buggy or truck you probably wouldn't notice as much as in a sedan or 4wd buggy where you are drawing more power. I had the 6900kv for 2wd truck, it was fun but really hard to handle consistantly, went to the 4600kv and haven't looked back. That is one sweet motor IMO.
OK That makes sense and I run the 4600 in my B44 and I wouldnt change it for nothing either that thing will run with al of them snce are track isnt huge they might get me at the first jump out of the turn but it will pull right back to them
I highly recommend Castle stuff to anybody they produce a great product at a great price
Old 10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quinton
What's the difference between the Mamba 5700 sidewinder & Max besides the price?
Thanks
The biggest difference I have seen in performance when running the 4600 or 5700 with the Sidewinder vs the Mamba is the brakes. I need about 10% more with the Sidewinder over the Mamba. Everything else will be pretty much the same. The one other thing is the Mamba has a built in usb port while the SIdewinder you will need the usb cord and Castle link adapter to be able to use the Castle link. The adapter plugs into your usb cord and then into the receiver plug on the Sidewinder. Cost about 20 bucks or so for the adapter.

THe Mamba will take more punishment overall as it does have better fets and takes the heat better when it comes to thermaling. The Mamba will also run lower wind brushed motors and more powerful brushless motors.

I raced my 2wd buggy with the 4600 and Mamba until the prototype Sidewinder I had showed up to test. After testing I have been running a production version Sidewinder in my 2wd for the last year. My main difference was again the brakes as I needed 10% to equal my Mamba.

Now in my 4wd I run the Mamba because it runs the 5700 and 6900 motors and they get hotter and the 4wd car and Mamba takes the beating.

Both will work great and for 2wd I can't see ever needing more than the 4600 or 5700kv motors so the Sidewinder is great for the price and plenty of performance.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sidewinder by a nose

I would half to say that wyd is spot on. I ran the Mamba 5700 set up in my Slash for a while, then switched it out for the Sidewinder 4600, and I also needed to add about 10% more drag brake. I race my Slash on a track and I find that the Sidewinder setup gives me much better control of the truck because the power is still very good yet more manageable. The Sidewinder is cheaper but it sucks that you half to buy an extra cord if you want to program it. The Mamba has sick power even at 2s and is better for pulling wheelies, general bashing, or 4wd. It’s nice to be able to plug the USB cord right in to the speed controller to program the Mamba though (no disassembly required!)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I was originally planning to buy a sidewinder as well, but at my LHS, the sidewinder + the castlelink was nearly the same price as a mamba max, with the max being about 10% higher then the two combo put together. For 10% more, I couldn't justify NOT getting a max instead of a sidewinder...

Currently, I have two Maxs, I was so impressed and happy with the first one, I outfitted my second ride with one too. I have a 5700 combo and a 4600 combo. 5700 has the timing turned down the lowest, and the 4600 has the timing set to normal. The 4600 is more manageable, but since I got used to the 5700 first, I wish I bought a 5700 instead (more speed )
Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Normally you can buy the Sidewinder setup for 130 plus 20 for the adpter needed to hook to Castle Link. You can use your USB cord from the Max. You should be able to get the Sidewinder and adapter for total for right around 150 bucks while the Max is normally 200 plus.