Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The new tap also arrived, so I drilled out two of the holes on the Castle Creations MMM motor and tapped them out to M4 size. Mounted the motor using M4 screws, modded the rear mount to fit the MMM motor. Now everything is rock solid.

MMM 2650kv motor endbell, nice sharp tap and the proper size drill.

Drilling out the holes, the material was pretty tough, I hope they are using 7075 aluminum.

Holes tapped, now I am checking to see what length screws I should be using, too short and they don't thread in far enough and can strip out, too long and they will hit the coils inside the motor. Also notice how close the new M4 holes come to the inner alignment ring, just made it.

This is why I went thru all the trouble of tapping the holes, M3 screw on the left, M4 in the middle and on the right.

All done, absolutely no flex in the mount now. M4's look nice sitting in the mounting plate.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Almost done, hooked up all the electrical stuff, shortened the motor wire, installed the ESC and rx. Hooked up a battery and tested it out on the work bench, everything worked great. I am used to running metal on metal (spur/pinion) but this is the loudest brushless conversion I have ever run. My ears are still ringing. I will try and take it for a test run outside in the morning.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Very nice pictorial--I had to do something similar to accommodate the Neu motor for the Losi kit. I am very hesitant to to tap the Neu for the M4's since the endbell does not remove I would have to disassemble to motor (I believe). The M3's are holding up and I have a tendency to check them often but if I have to tap them out I now know what to do. Cheers!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shark413
I am used to running metal on metal (spur/pinion) but this is the loudest brushless conversion I have ever run. My ears are still ringing. I will try and take it for a test run outside in the morning.
The Kyosho plastic spurs--I use the 44T--quite everything down. My understanding is that Losi is to release 43T-45T plastic spurs very soon. I got the part #'s from another thread. The Kyosho spurs, in my experience, require the use of shims and their o-rings to help prevent leaking.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dangerwr
Very nice pictorial--I had to do something similar to accommodate the Neu motor for the Losi kit. I am very hesitant to to tap the Neu for the M4's since the endbell does not remove I would have to disassemble to motor (I believe). The M3's are holding up and I have a tendency to check them often but if I have to tap them out I now know what to do. Cheers!
Dangerwr, I too would not recommend drilling and tapping a motor that does not have a removable endbell (front). The chance of damaging the coils is too great, you could easily drill too far or run the tap into the coils and ruin the motor. I have several Neu and TeknoNeu motor but I waited for the MMM 2650kv motor because of the removable front endbell.

Last edited by Shark413; 01-31-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dangerwr
The Kyosho plastic spurs--I use the 44T--quite everything down. My understanding is that Losi is to release 43T-45T plastic spurs very soon. I got the part #'s from another thread. The Kyosho spurs, in my experience, require the use of shims and their o-rings to help prevent leaking.
You know on my first couple of conversions I used Kyosho plastic gears and they were great, quiet, smooth and didn't wear out the pinion like steel does. And they worked fine for several months, then one day after some heavy action on the track I knocked a couple of teeth off and had a DNF. So most of the time they work great and they have several advantages over steel, but for a racer you need to be sure you can finish the race. May be when RC-Monster comes out with there slipperential diff (slipper diff) I can go back to using plastic.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You know on my first couple of conversions I used Kyosho plastic gears and they were great, quiet, smooth and didn't wear out the pinion like steel does. And they worked fine for several months, then one day after some heavy action on the track I knocked a couple of teeth off and had a DNF. So most of the time they work great and they have several advantages over steel, but for a racer you need to be sure you can finish the race. May be when RC-Monster comes out with there slipperential diff (slipper diff) I can go back to using plastic.
The RCM Slipperential Diff will have steel gears. 2 sizes at frst, 46T and 50T. Special gears made for the slipper dif so other brand plastic gears probably wont work.

Im with you on the pastic gear thing though. Had em loose a tooth or 2 a couple times and ended the day. Ever since RCM introduced the first extra hard pinion gears I went to steel gears and never looked back. Last year I raced all season on the same pinions in the buggy and truggy. The gears were still fine but starting to show a little bit of wear so I bought a new set and have the old ones in my box for backups now. I personally am not sure how people are wearing them out. The pinions are lasting longer for me than most nitro clutch bells last. Thats good enough for me. The only time I had one go bad was when the motor came loose on the mount and the mesh got real loose. I deformed the tips of the pinion gear and needed to replace it. But I finished the heat. If I was running a plastic spur I would have trashed it for sure.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Almost done, hooked up all the electrical stuff, shortened the motor wire, installed the ESC and rx. Hooked up a battery and tested it out on the work bench, everything worked great. I am used to running metal on metal (spur/pinion) but this is the loudest brushless conversion I have ever run. My ears are still ringing. I will try and take it for a test run outside in the morning.

Hey guys i have a Losi 8eight and i will like to convert it to Electric, and i really like the losi conv Kit and the MMM setup, do i need to do this modification to fit the Mamba motor???

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM
rhino420

Originally Posted by Triton3d
Hey guys i have a Losi 8eight and i will like to convert it to Electric, and i really like the losi conv Kit and the MMM setup, do i need to do this modification to fit the Mamba motor???

Thanks
Mike

no this is just personal preference

Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Triton3d

Thanks
Mike
The only mods I had to make was Shorten the motor wires which also helps with glitching and counter sink the MMM standard screws and then grind down the Plastic Losi motor mount under the motor as the MMM motor is fatter.
I have the Limited Edition 8ight-E but the conversion kit you get for your Nitro is the same.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread-dsc02693.jpg   Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread-27012009033.jpg   Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread-dsc02695.jpg   Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread-29012009039.jpg   Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread-dsc02697.jpg  

Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...T-E/Categories

3 8ight-e bodies in stock. 30 bucks shipped.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Where does the transponder mount on a Losi B conversion?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thopper
are you confirmed that you are getting the losi thopper??? or is it still in question
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thopper
Depending on the size of your receiver it will fit right in the receiver box. I have mine in there with a Spektrum 3000 receiver.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

still thinking but would prefer to stick with the mbx6. See my comments in the tekno thread and my question to you in the temecula thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.