Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

<yawn>
Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Let's delete this thread.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

I am plannin on being there for sure. Put in my time off and plan on 3 mod classes. Everyone beats me on those VRC games.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
yes, the Castle motors are a slotless design, which are 1) easier for a sensorless controller to drive, 2) provide two to four times the power of a ROAR style motor.

So let me get this straight. If I line my buggy up against another one with my sidewinder 4600 system and the other buggy has an lrp, novak, or orion system that has a 4.5 system in it, I will make it to the end of the straightaway 2 to 4 times faster?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default lousy lazy no good reg 8 director=me

Alright then, If you want to flame or point fingers I'm the guy. With a both a full time and part time job plus a wife I like to spend some time with my ROAR efforts are severely lacking. Whomever would like to take over let me know, I vote Alex.

A lot of good posts trying to achieve the goal of a big race where everyone has a good time and the top performer comes out on top.

My views;

When Billy asked me about this race we went with "Mod is Mod" thinking it would not incite drama. Billy told me tonight he has 20 guys that want to run mod with Castle stuff, that's a lot of guys to chase off because of rules excluding this product.

ROAR has rules to abide by, small and large,seemingly trivial to inciting debate on internet forums. I feel anyone who has run & won mod in Chillicothe did it with setup and driving, not pure horsepower.

Is the Castle motor an advantage? Maybe so, maybe not. Is it legal, no. A deviation to allow it is not like a deviation to allow the host track's locally popular class to be included in the event.

Billy wants as many racers as possible, he and his staff always put on a well run show, the competition is first rate. I hope all that attend have fun, whether racing or just spectating.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Hey Phil

So per roar rule 1.2.8 I believe, it is up to you. Or like the old saying says, the buck stops here. Does that mean that you are going to allow them and let the majority rule?

cam
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Whomever would like to take over let me know, I vote Alex.[QUOTE]

HAHAHA. NO WAY!

I vote Cam!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

And that gives you a dog in this fight.....

HOW?
Well I guess since I do race for Castle and since supposedly ROAR is suppose to be for the racers and clearly that is untrue.

As for a fair playing field you have to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!! Again like I said earlier you have pros running mod with parts racers can't get and that is fair since they have a ROAR legal motor........ again you are kidding me right.

I never seen a Castle motor have an advantage over an equivalent motor from another brand, why because it is mod and the Castle motors are for mod........No stock, not 17.5, not 13.5,not 10.5 but for mod!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never seen a Mamba 7700 be faster than a 2.5, 3.5, or a 4.5. Equal at best.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by philb
Billy told me tonight he has 20 guys that want to run mod with Castle stuff, that's a lot of guys to chase off because of rules excluding this product.
I think that 20 is a conservative number, IMHO. And you're saying "guys." Chances are...those "guys" would run more than one class too, so entry wise, the number just went up exponentially.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Seems to me that ROAR and others who are against these motors, are looking at it with a mentality of stock class. That's the only way I can understand anyone taking issue with the fact that the motor is built a little different. Why does it matter that a motor design may yield more horsepower? Also... if it's so superior then why were the rules written intentionally around an inferior design.

It's mod class... power should have nothing to do with a motor being legal. With that type of thinking, ROAR should ban things like 4.5 brushless and 7 single brushed??

I agree we should delete this thread, and then pretend it never happened and we can all go race and have a good time.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

But to answer the question as to WHY: Castle Motors are of a slotless design, they are not rebuildable and their rotor dimensions are WAY outside of ROAR specs, which is a HUGE advantage over ROAR approved motors. Castle's been free to manufacture ROAR style motors from day one, BUT - their ESCs cannot run them accurately enough to be acceptable to the racers..... so I'm instructed.

Once the style of motor is allowed, you must understand, there is no way to control the power. Your looking for all of racing to become 100% motor dependent.. much like oval racing.. therefore, your asking for the slow death of RC racing because now costs have gone way overboard.

I think in the best interest of ROAR - we need to ensure costs to the MFG and the membership does not get out of hand... also, some kind of control on power, speed and advantage in order to ensure fairness to all. Sounds a little like NASCAR, eh?
Dawn,
thanks for giving some reasons why...

"they are not rebuildable"

That one I can kinda buy. Fair enough But the other reasons, not so much... unless we are talking a spec/stock class motor.

This is modified class...

If I'm reading your post correctly.... ROAR 's position is that allowing Castle's motors = costs to racers and mfgs are going to go out of control? And it's ROAR's place to assign a limit to power and speed of mod class racing? that's a strange thought to me.... trying to wrap my mind around that one.

oh well.... seems like a dead horse.... and seems to me very few agree wtih ROAR's position

I will email Castle suggesting they rework the can design, so it's rebuildable and has solder tabs. If they do that, maybe ROAR can meet them in the middle and overlook the subjective motor theory and design issues.

Die thread, die.....
Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Aaron P
I think that 20 is a conservative number, IMHO. And you're saying "guys." Chances are...those "guys" would run more than one class too, so entry wise, the number just went up exponentially.
Yes, a lot of entries will be affected as many run more than one class.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by glassdoctor

It's mod class... power should have nothing to do with a motor being legal. With that type of thinking, ROAR should ban things like 4.5 brushless and 7 single brushed??

I agree we should delete this thread, and then pretend it never happened and we can all go race and have a good time.
As Billy and I thought running mod is how well you can use the horsepower.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by camshaft
So per roar rule 1.2.8 I believe, it is up to you. Or like the old saying says, the buck stops here. Does that mean that you are going to allow them and let the majority rule?

cam
OK by me, more entries the better,still not a legal motor by ROAR tho.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default phil

Yes you will allow them, or no you wont? Alot of us have to plan work, kids, life around this issue so a definitive answer here would be cool.

cam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.