Wiki Posts
Search

What is your racing weakness.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SQC049
I have many problems with my driving. My biggest is in my head. When ever I hear that I am on a good pace or in the lead, I start to psych myself out and try so hard not to make a mistake that I end up crashing and blowing the run. I've been getting better about it, but I still do it.
Oh yes.... Tha' Juice... Makes me shake like a leaf....

Did you have the juice in the truck race ?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Oh yes.... Tha' Juice... Makes me shake like a leaf....

Did you have the juice in the truck race ?
A little bit, I was concentrating on trying to keep Mills behind me, I didn't have a chance to think about what was going on, I just wheeled. I did in 2wd though, that is why I blew out and missed the A.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

2 biggests problems are getting to a bad start from a standing-start like in the main. I always do better if I'm starting from the back - so much for good qualifying.

Also if I've got a good car and am faster than most in my heat, not having enough patience to wait for a good place to pass. No point in trying to make a silly pass and put myself into a pipe because I'm worried about my lap times.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Like the title say's what are your r/c racing weaknesses ?
Trophy girls, Esp SUPER hot ones!

On a more serious note- Gluing tires is a pain for me. I just hate it.

momo
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KRCRacer22
My biggest weakness is driving to hard when it isn't necessary. My style is pretty agressive and when I can tone it down to 90% it's a thing of beauty. But I to often push to hard and overdrive especially with an early mistake in a race!

Good Topic!
I'm the same way....only on a little slower level But in a nutshell, this is me too.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

I'm a newb (again) to racing so i get really shaky (my hands that is) before a start. I really don't know why. Its probably nerves so i'm just gonna get some more races in and hopefully the nerves go away. This was totally the case in my first race in about 12 years this past weekend at oc/rc..
Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

I totally get shakey too. I have some nerve problems in my neck. When I tense up during a race my trigger hand goes almost completely numb and starts to shake real bad. It's so bad I weighted my DX3-R with a pound of lead. Now my pinky goes to sleep from being not closed enough around the handle.
During the race I have a hard time with short jumps at the end of long straight aways and off camber corners.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

My biggest weakness is that I've ordered a 1/10 scale buggy and a brushless system/Lipo/charger for it, but none of them have come in yet. The wait is killing me and I'm missing all the races lol. >_< Almost 2 weeks now, and still nothing's here.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
My main weakness is my complete lack of coordination and anything that would resemble driving talent.
+1 to that. Also, my seeming inabiltiy to keep it together if i do happen to have a good run. If I should happen to get the lead, all someone has to do is point that fact out and I might as well pull off the track.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by STRINGCHEESE
I totally get shakey too. I have some nerve problems in my neck. When I tense up during a race my trigger hand goes almost completely numb and starts to shake real bad. It's so bad I weighted my DX3-R with a pound of lead. Now my pinky goes to sleep from being not closed enough around the handle.
During the race I have a hard time with short jumps at the end of long straight aways and off camber corners.
while yours is apparently physical, mine is more mental.. I guess i need a shrink.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If I am lucky enough to be out front I will dork it as soon as the announcer says my name.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CE28N
I'm a newb (again) to racing so i get really shaky (my hands that is) before a start. I really don't know why. Its probably nerves so i'm just gonna get some more races in and hopefully the nerves go away. This was totally the case in my first race in about 12 years this past weekend at oc/rc..
I have, or had, the same problem... and adding a bit of exponential to your steering does help a lot (a least it did for me) Something like -10% or -20%.

Also, one day an excellent driver took my radio off my hands (JR R1) and "electronically" slowed down the speed of my servo/steering (without telling me at first) ...and it felt a bit easier to drive-to me. However, my setup was all wrong this day so when i found , later a better setup, i went back to fullspeed steering.

BTW this topic is funny ! ! better than the " which is the best touring car " kind of topic
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Stuff that I learned while I was a Pro DH Mountain biker that helped me out in any form of competition:

- Know the course. I ALWAYS walk the track as the perspective change can show you lines you wouldn't see from the stand. Also look back at sections you have walked through as it can show you things too.

- Also look at alternate lines and practice them too. You never know when you need to put a move to pass someone. It's nice to have a few different lines, corner entry and exits you can choose from.

- Have your mental game in check. Know the track in your head. Where you want to brake, where you want to be to set up for the next corner. If you know where you need to be for the next section it makes driving it easier.

- Slow your heart rate down. Adrenaline will make you do crazy things and get twitchy. Take a few deep breaths before the start and focus on your breathing for a second or two.

- Have patience. Sometimes you need to chill while tailing someone. If you have some time left in the race, you can just apply some pressure and try and get him to bobble or open up a line. You can also see where his driving line is and set him up for a pass. When you get too excited you tend to take both you and the other guy out or into a pipe.

- Don't be afraid to be aggressive though either. If you see a clean opportunity don't be afraid to go for it even if it is tight. I see too many guys out there who are afraid to pass.

- Clean your car. People make fun of me for having a clean car, but it shows you if something is wrong or broken on the car. Beats having to drop out of a main due to a loose screw or something else stupid.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow what a great topic. My biggest problem is running by myself. Not because I'm slower but because my mind starts to wonder. I start looking around the track and see whose watching. I was always looking to see if my team manager was looking or some other factory drivers. If they were, it would just add more pressure for no reason. I just recently started trying to think about random things. Not really about racing or anything. I started thinking about dinner and jokes. While this might sound strange, racing is all about muscle memory and perspective. If you worry too much you can suck. If I zone out and think about nothing I end up crashing. Sounds weird but try it sometime in practice.

I just wanted to comment about the passing thing. I run mostly on-road and in a class that everyone qualifies about 3 seconds apart. No one is really faster than anyone else. This makes it really hard to pass. Just because you can get inside doesn’t mean that you can have the position. Be cautious and respectful of the people around you and their talent.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For myself, my problem is getting used to the sensitivity of the radio and how it affects the car. Trigger control is a biggie as well as the steering wheel. A buddy of mine was a Stinger operator in the Army and he had the smoothest touch in flight sims and the like. Me, I over turn, over compensate and over accelerate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.