Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4WD Setup...Diff Front, One way Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Any of you guys running a oneway diff in a B44?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Lots of people run spools in on-road. I even have on in my 18r.

As far as running a one-way in a b44, i dont believe many people are, but i could be wrong. It seemed like one-ways in a 4wd buggy is a thing of the past, i know im taking mine out (xxx-4). it seems like you just cant drive aggressive enough, maybe if you were on a long fast track you could possibly have an advantage. my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

One ways make a 4wd more aggressive not less. They add alot more offpower steering and change the braking to rear wheel only so you get better pivot in the corners. This really helps on tight tracks with alot of 180 degree corners. Plus the spool like lockup gives better onpower steering verses a diff. Putting a diff in its place makes the car more forgiving and easier to drive but slower. I have done compairsons and I an usually about .5 seconds a lap faster with a oneway generally. The only time I swap in a diff is when the track is rough and has alot of big jumps. Most people that run at the tracks I run at in 4wd buggy use oneways. I just takes a different driving style than a diff does to take full advantage of a oneway. Oneway diffs are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

If braking were done by 4 wheel disc brakes like on a real car, would there be any advantage to running oneways everywhere i.e. (front and rear)?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by sport10
One ways make a 4wd more aggressive not less. They add alot more offpower steering and change the braking to rear wheel only so you get better pivot in the corners. This really helps on tight tracks with alot of 180 degree corners. Plus the spool like lockup gives better onpower steering verses a diff. Putting a diff in its place makes the car more forgiving and easier to drive but slower. I have done compairsons and I an usually about .5 seconds a lap faster with a oneway generally. The only time I swap in a diff is when the track is rough and has alot of big jumps. Most people that run at the tracks I run at in 4wd buggy use oneways. I just takes a different driving style than a diff does to take full advantage of a oneway. Oneway diffs are not going anywhere anytime soon.
I am a huge fan of one-ways, but it seems with the B44 its different in that department. All the setups from the pro drivers run with a tight front diff. I have not tried a one-way in my B44, but I have so much steering as it is, I don't think it would do much more.

Also, with a one-way in the front, you do get more pull out of the corners, but you also will have a lot of on-power oversteer coming out of the corner as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

That is why they are faster but harder to drive. They tend to make a buggy twichy too. But I like my buggies setup which alot of steering. I too have driven the B44 and it does have decent steering with just a front diff but falls a little short of my x-5 with a oneway in the steering department. My x-5 also has a good amount of steering using a front diff too.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Not sure if your definition of agressive is the same as mine but i cant enter the corner as fast without having all 4 tires doing the braking, and because im still running a one-way in the front of my xxx-4 i tend to get hacked because i brake for the corner a little sooner and if i brake later then i get hacked by the person trying to get under me because i was forced to go a little wider. I do race on a tight track that has alot of flat corners, the track surface is clay if that makes a difference. I do plan on putting my diff back in the front and testing it out but im with ya, i have allways been a fan of the one-ways in the front, it just fits my driving style better.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by haulin79
If braking were done by 4 wheel disc brakes like on a real car, would there be any advantage to running oneways everywhere i.e. (front and rear)?
Well you wouldnt really get the advantages of the one-way up front unless you had the brake biased more for the rear. On accelaration they will act like a spool but just not as reliable as a regular spool.

Also with all 4 corners having bracking independently from each other this may affect the operation of the diff. while bracking and steering.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tater salad
Not sure if your definition of agressive is the same as mine but i cant enter the corner as fast without having all 4 tires doing the braking, and because im still running a one-way in the front of my xxx-4 i tend to get hacked because i brake for the corner a little sooner and if i brake later then i get hacked by the person trying to get under me because i was forced to go a little wider. I do race on a tight track that has alot of flat corners, the track surface is clay if that makes a difference. I do plan on putting my diff back in the front and testing it out but im with ya, i have allways been a fan of the one-ways in the front, it just fits my driving style better.
The more steering a buggy has the more aggressive it can be driven. Oneways add a ton of steering off power and also allow you to do rear only braking. This way you can really throw around the rear in a corner. And with the spool like lockup on accelleration you can really power out of a corner. With the increased off power steering you can really cut under other drivers to make the pass. This is what I mean by more aggressive. I try to cut corners as tight as possible to avoid being hacked and it also helps to be defensive against drivers that try and cut under you. On 180 style corners brake late and just enough to allow the rear to pivot the 180 degree corner and power out hard is the fastest way I have found to take these type corners with a 4wd.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

I get what youre saying now, i guess im so used to driving 2wheel stock sportsman buggie that i still havent adapted to the 4wheel mod driving style.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

you are all forgetting the best reason to run a one-way

1. go hot into a corner
2. punt the car in front of you off the track
3. politely say on the driver stand "sorry, running a one-way"
4. victory!