Which .21 buggy engine to get for mbx5? please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which .21 buggy engine to get for mbx5? please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

i use to run my electrics there! i still once and a while! but right now im saving for a mbx5 once i get that up and running ill be there alot! ho bout u? how often do u go! what r/c's do u have?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Tee, what's your race name at Delta?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Tee
Tech Apprentice

I reviewed my personal copy of the rex p5 and it actually does have O-rings to seal the pinch bolt. It's a thing of beauty, but yes, the bearings fail. If I get a new bearing, it will be a great race motor.

Speedy dave, my race name at delta is "Terry O"
Old 08-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Hey PTP, lol forgot to check back at this thread ... didn't see your reply until now.

I'm actually from around Toronto Canada ... not an Aussie; although I'd love to live there

The hot engine around here, are two versions of the OS .21's actually. The newer VBZ and the 01 version.

Don't know why; I personally don't like OS engines ... but there is some truth to what everybody is saying about the OS engines.

1) Very reliable when it comes to staying in tune
2) Powerful engines -although Novarossis do have more power potential for sure, when tuned correctly-
3) Warranty is great ... blow a front bearing, they'll send you a new one ... wear out an engine, send it in and they send you a completely new engine.

Now for the bad part; they don't last as long as a Novarossi and if you run one too hot, it only takes a run or two at those settings to completely toast the motor. In other words, durability seems to be the big issue with the engines; which is sad.

So it becomes a trade off ... support and ease of use vs. raw power/RPM -and IMHO a cooler looking engine hehe-

I think I'll end up with both .. an OS VBZ and a Mugen P5.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

I've got a WS7 with about 2 gallons through it in my MBX5 right now, and I've got a friend with a V01b in his Kanai with about half a gallon through it. He's selling the Kanai, and I asked him if he'd sell the V01b seperate to me. It's never been run over-lean. Broken in and run on the same fuel I run in everything else I have. What should I offer for it? He has a Rex 086 pipe, but I was going to offer without the pipe and just get an OS T-2050 for it. Anyone? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Sirio is a bomb slomg slong digity wigity motor yo! it has mo pucnh so u can punch it more and have hp's up the ying yang
Old 08-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Hi Guys,

I driving a Mugen X5 Buggy with my P5 engine..

For me i still prefer RB WS 7 and P5 Engine..

That my 2 cent of thinking..

Tks....
Old 08-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

speedy. If he'd let it go to you for a decent price (up to you what you think is decent for a used engine) and agree to give you the origional receipt you'd be on your way. If you had any problems with it, like I said .. send it back to OS and they send you out a completely new one. In that respect the used OS engines are probably the best of the used engines you can pick up.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Udi, yeah, pretty much a backup engine. I love my WS7(and I've taken very good care of it). I've heard mixed reviews of the WS7-2, and the P5 is having bearing and o-ring issues(otherwise a Mugen/Rex P5 would become my race engine with my WS7 as a backup). I've heard mixed reviews of the OS, too, but there are quite a few here, and they do seem to be worthy, so I thought it was a good opportunity to pick up a backup engine. I'd just get a new head for it, the stock one seems pretty small. I'll probably get a King Head for it...A guy here with a V01b has that head on his engine, and it seems to cool well. They look cool, too(and you can actually get them...or I'd get an O'Donnell)!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Ah, well personally I think I'm going to try an OS VBZ as to this date I have only ever owned Novarossi engines. Since the majority of people tend to like the power and ease of use of the OS .21s (can't say much for the performance of the .12 OS'es though) I figure I'll go ahead and try one.

WIth the P5 problems like you mention; bearings, and carb problems I mays well try an OS seeming as though a few of the guys running P5's are now using the OS carbs on their Novas. If piston durability is more of an issue with the OS, Ill just send it in under warranty and get a brand new replacement
Old 08-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by chorner
Ah, well personally I think I'm going to try an OS VBZ as to this date I have only ever owned Novarossi engines. Since the majority of people tend to like the power and ease of use of the OS .21s (can't say much for the performance of the .12 OS'es though) I figure I'll go ahead and try one.

WIth the P5 problems like you mention; bearings, and carb problems I mays well try an OS seeming as though a few of the guys running P5's are now using the OS carbs on their Novas. If piston durability is more of an issue with the OS, Ill just send it in under warranty and get a brand new replacement
Good choice

i used the OS VZ-B and the power is unbeliveable and good torque also the top speed are great the engine just screaming down the straight line
Old 08-27-2003, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by speedydave
Udi, yeah, pretty much a backup engine. I love my WS7(and I've taken very good care of it). I've heard mixed reviews of the WS7-2, and the P5 is having bearing and o-ring issues(otherwise a Mugen/Rex P5 would become my race engine with my WS7 as a backup). I've heard mixed reviews of the OS, too, but there are quite a few here, and they do seem to be worthy, so I thought it was a good opportunity to pick up a backup engine. I'd just get a new head for it, the stock one seems pretty small. I'll probably get a King Head for it...A guy here with a V01b has that head on his engine, and it seems to cool well. They look cool, too(and you can actually get them...or I'd get an O'Donnell)!
do you know any online shop carry the o'donnel heat sink??

i've been looking around and can't find it

thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

They're extremely difficult to find. You usually have to go straight through O'Donnell, and even then, good luck...I've got a friend who works at a Hobby Town and should be able to get me one(they're supposed to get some from the next batch, which hopefully translates to before the end of the year). However, the story has been changed on them so much, I'm not sure that will actually happen, or if it does, when. For the V01b I plan on buying, I'm probably going to get a King Headz head for it.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

I'd get a King Headz, if they knew how to spell Heads haha ... the heads look nice; but I hate the cheap look of the crown and 'King Headz' ... spells cheap to me all over.

T-shirt, what pipe were you using with the VB-Z?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.