Which .21 buggy engine to get for mbx5? please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which .21 buggy engine to get for mbx5? please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

........don't get the REX blue head P5 ...get the Novarossi purple head P5.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i had a feeling you were going to get kinda upset about my last post just relax there is no need to get all upset and call people names

however as tambok kinda touches on the nova is better than the rex in the case of the p5 the specs for the blue head rex engine were 2.1 hp and 29k rpm as per novarossi webste when the novarossi p5 came out it was rated at 2.6 and 31k rpm and the reason has something to do with the fact they changed the block

and ive heard a few times of some people having trouble with thier rex p5 bearings or something

and ive seen at the track some guys have had some issues with tuning the rex p5

call me a fool if you like it doesnt matter i still think novarossi keeps the best for themsleves and that buying one from trinity isnt the end of the world yeah it kinda sucks to pay more but at least i got it and i couldnt be happier with its performance

i got my novarossi p5 or 280 the best deal i could find on the rex was 250 and mine has .5 more hp and you may be ready to say thats not true but i have a friend who owned both engines and agreed he could feel a difference in power between the 2 the nova being the better of the 2

also i dont know correct me if im wrong but as far as i know top doesnt yet have a p5

what color are the top heads? are they green? thats my favorite color and i would buy them instead just to have a green engine head
Old 08-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

actually...a lot of people have had o-ring (carb) and rear bearing problems(rear cranksaft bearing) with the REX blue head P5.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Hehe PTP man, I wasn't upset at all; nor am I now

What do I care man, really ... lol, I was just stating the truth -or so I see, as well as from an engine tuner in association with Paris Racing-

But hey, perhaps you guys are right ... oh well. Anyways, I wasn't angry or upset at all! lol
Old 08-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

whats the o-ring thing with the carb? could be the reason some guys were having tuning problems

chorner you are from down under right? whats the hot engine to have there? most guys near me have either ws7 ws7 2 v01b or p5 with a few guys running other stuff

i know i had the v01b and i hated it ran fast but was horrible on fuel mileage and crapped out on me a couple times all my favorite engines were nova based

i wish that they had an engine for my t-maxx something with a pull start with over 1 hp

ive been meaning to try and see if a nova carb will fit on my trx 2.5 engine
Old 08-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by PTP Racing
whats the o-ring thing with the carb? could be the reason some guys were having tuning problems
apparently people are having problems with o-rings in carbs causing tearing or premature wear....probably Novarossi installed a bad batch of o-rings. If you guys have problem tuning the engines...you might want to check out the o-rings and put new fresh ones.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Come on guys, Nova/REX/TOP all com e out of the same factory. Same pistons, same liners, same bearings, same o-rings.. It's the same as Gandini tyres. In one country they are sold as Gandini, the next they are Fast/Best/Ellergi, but still the same tyre. Still the same engine. Don't muck around buy the JP-P5.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

on and off road ...you can't go wrong with a JP....insane power. Problem is in off road you have to learn how to setup your car to use up JP engine's power and not in tire spins.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

i definetly dont need any more power than my p5 has and if i did i could mod it myself JP engines cost too much for me its hard enough for me to justify spending nearly $300 for an engine let alone the prices JPs go for around here i cant do the crank mod myself but i can do most anything else

the extra HP i mention was based of info i had read directly off the novarossi website its not BS they changed the block mine is a rx 21 p5 the other is a pn 21 p5 (i may be wrong about the second part number) but either way they made a change and mine is the faster version like i said i have a friend who has both and he agrees the one i have is faster than the rex

what i dont know is whether or not a new rex p5 would be the same as the one i have it could well be and if thats the case i would buy the rex for 2 reasons i hate purple and i could save a few bucks

OK fine you guys win im wore out on this nova top rex thing from now on i will never again post that novarossi keeps the best engines for themselves it was never enough of a difference for it to matter to me anyhow

sbk is that the short stroke buggy engine made by novarossi? the one with the purple head that looks like the ws7 head with the boost chamber? a friend of mine has that in his mbx5 and i have to say it looked really good last weekend just wish it didnt have a boost chamber (one more thing that could cause a problem IMO)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

I hate boost chambers.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

I got my JP P5 from harmonymodel.com.hk for US$330 to my doorstep, which is AUS$500. $60 cheaper than the standard P5 at my local hobby shop.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Tee
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation REX P5, avoid!

I suffered the premature bearing failure (chrome flaking off) with a Rex P5. It actually still ran great the last time it was used, but got torn down for bearing inspection and never reassembled... The bearing debris did cause a little bit of piston and sleeve scarring. Granted that may not be the engine itselfs fault, but why do you hear this story so often? It ran great and its local performance at the track (Delta RC) was able to convince many others to get the same engine. I feel like an RC criminal because of this. Now assuming the Rex P5 really did have bullet proof bearings, I can tell you that it *does lack* some important features I would expect of an engine of this supposed caliber. It does not have an o-ring below the carburetor pinchbolt. It may or may not have o-rings sealing the pinchbolt itself (can't exactly recall been awhile). I believe that these features are incorporated in the Novarossi version of the P5. That's what is shown in the pictures in the fat little booklet that came with the Rex P5 that shows a blowup of every current Nova/Rex/Top motor. Some people (like me) don't like to go through the trouble of "sealing" and engine. I never suffered an airleak with my P5 due to the lack of O-rings, but, I'm thinking, the more O-rings, the better the conceptual seal would be. Bottom line in my opinion is that the Rex (the model I had) is a lesser engine. But there is a new Rex P5 that has what the old Rex P5 lacked. I would have liked to have that.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

where can i check these p5's out?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RB WS7II. The thing RIPS! It is very easy to tune and runs great from the first time you start it up. Also even tuned to race setting (i.e. rather lean) it idles through an entire tank (even upside, dont ask about that story though... lol )

A friend of mine who used to run the Rossi $500 engine switched over to the WS7II and was thrilled. The engine is just as fast the P5 if not more so (everyone's converting the the RB, so its hard to tell now, lol)

BTW RC crazy do u race at madness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.