Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRC 959 super brain charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Babblefish,
say more about how you mounted your fan. What kind of fan? obtained where? what did you wire it to? stuff like that.
Old 06-23-2002, 05:22 AM
Tech Initiate

The fan is a 12VDC unit from a computer cpu heatsink. I removed every other plastic rib from under the fan to help increase airflow. The resistor can be bought at Radio Shack. Be sure to remove the PC board from the top cover before doing any cutting and mounting of the fan to avoid damage.

Last edited by Babblefish; 06-23-2002 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:06 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just as a reference, Jeepinator, who you can occasionally find on here has the mod on his website.

http://www.theshreves.com/rc_stuff/brain_surgery.htm

I do not support voiding your warrenty, but if you are familiar with electronics, im sure it is a welcome modification. The mod is do at your own risk.

-Troy
Old 12-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default 959 questions....

I bought this charger a few months ago for my micro and most recently started using it to charge my 2400 nicad stick packs for my nitro starter box. For some reason it keeps false peaking(about 30secs-1min on one pack and about 8min for the other pack). The pack is not even warm. I go to the track and the starter box dumps after a couple of uses. I used both the 3amp and 4 amp setting with the volt threshold at 40.

Should I be discharging my packs at the end of the day? Is this what's causing the flase peaks?
Old 12-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

mine does the same thing, with rx packs & racing packs, only it does it after its first use. it will cut off after about a minute, so i just check it from time to time.

I've herad of others having the same problem with it.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As far as problems, I haven't had any with mine after about 25 charges.

My complaint is that I can't charge over 4.5 amps and the voltage drop setting isn't very fine tunable. 5, 10, 20, 30, or 40 mv. I can't go over 40 mv like some hot packs call for. I guess I shouldn't be charging top end packs on that charger, though.

The buttons are stubborn and the wires are cheap, but in a way you do get what you pay for.

As far as the fan problem, I sit the charger on top of a fan out of an old ceramic heater that I use to cool my slot cars. It keeps the charger very cool so I can charge many packs at a time. I may install the PC fan, it would be a lot more convenient than that small heater fan.

Overall if I could go back and do it over, I wouldn't get it. I should have spent more on a better charger.