R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-14-2002, 10:34 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Losi flangeless Clutchbell bearing

I've had to replace flanged bearings every few races and never got a handle on maintaining them better. Losi supposedly has a new clutch bell machined to use flangeless bearings. How is this new design working out for bearing life?

Anyone try the Boca ceramic bearing?
PeterAiea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:21 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Default 3 bearing clutch

use the old style bell with a nonflanged bearing in the center....yes 3 bearings they will last lots longer ....they fail because they get hot play with your clutch to try and get it to not run as hot lighten the spring, and try adding weight to find out what you like better. If you are not running hour mains or something they should last longer than 3-4 races even with the stock set up I have heard the new set up is more reliable but try the 3 bearing first
BIG DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:59 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

That makes sense. Three bearings would spread the load out. Do you feel that the heat contributes to a lubrication failure or is it something else that causes the bearing to fail?
Old 12-15-2002, 01:32 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

the hotter they get the less the lube does and the more it slings out of the bearings. clean you clutch on the inside of the clutch bell , the oil makes it slip more = more heat
BIG DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:56 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Stress finds its weak point ..clutch bearings

Heat and friction is the bearings cause to eventual failure. I like Bigdaddy's advise to adding an extra bearing to assembly. Great off the shelf salution. I would like to elaberate on that by recomending a nice hardened steel high speed grade bearing you use this application. German. Japanees, then American manufactured bearings should be your requirements when ordering. This is one bearing application you have learned not to compromise...so don't. I personally, converted my XXX-NT to run with SG crank engines....Same as my AE GT befor....And will run the same bearings from last year season. The longevity is mostly due to quality bearing application. Having no drive shaft runnout helps allso. Good luck!
TOOLING: http://www.rayaracing.com/prodtooling.htm
RayA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 01:47 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

pre1960 - haha - me too. Yeah I think you guys nail it - the clutch was likely overheating and likely due to oil contamination - possibly from the bearing. Meanwhile I'll pay closer attention to the clutch assembly as well as upgrade the bearings. Good posts. thanks! -Peter
Old 12-18-2002, 02:25 AM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Pack em' with grease!

I use automotive wheel bearing grease to pack cheap metal shielded bearings. They last forever even with a dragging clutch. You just got to re-pack them every four racedays to make sure. You also can pack rubber or teflon sealed bearings but you got to remove the seals first.

To pack bearings with grease, you smear a thin film of grease on the outer part of your palm opposite the thumb. You then grab a bearing and do a firm scraping motion onto the greased part of your hand making sure not too much grease is not scraped up through the center hole. Rotate the bearing to ensure that the all the areas of the bearing is packed. Do this until you see that the grease is being squeezed out on the other side of the bearing. What you are doing is forcing grease through the tiny gap near the inner race and filling the inner cavity. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

Gee, if you use the additional middle bearing and grease pack them all, you might end up with a bearing setup that should last forever.

You should still check for proper play, shimming and clutch nut run-out to make sure everything is OK.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 08:59 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

good post mr F - thanks